Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

467 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 4:13 AM by VeggieChick81
alohakt Amateur 9 posts since
Apr 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 14, 2012 5:20 PM

Running preggers...

Aloha~ I know there's been lots of posts similar to this one, but after a while of digging I gave up!!

I'm a long-time runner (lots of marathons, halves, etc.), and ran through 8 months of my first pregnancy without trouble. But with baby #2 I seem to be struggling with energy levels and my daily runs are barely weekly runs these days. :(. Granted, I'm no spring chicken (late 30s), but still!!  I'm almost into trimester 2 and hope some of my "oomph" will return, but any advice or suggestions for getting back on track (or just getting through!) would be greatly appreciated!!

• VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 20, 2012 4:13 AM (in response to alohakt)
    Running preggers...

Don't be hard on yourself! This is baby number two! I am not sure how old your first is, but for me. I had an 18 month old to chase around which made me far more exhausted than the days of being pregnant with no other worries besides myself.

Also, as hard as it is, especially for a seasoned runner like yourself, please listen to your body. You want to make sure that baby is getting all the oxygen they need...and if your heart is pumping too fast because your tired and pushing a run, baby will feel it.

Believe me, I know how bad it sucks! But 40 weeks in the long term of things (27 or less now for you, yay!) is a short period of time. Try things like the elliptical to keep your fitness.

Good luck and congrats!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points