Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1030 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 6:19 AM by Scottish Laura
Scottish Laura Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2012 8:50 AM

Jump between Week 3 and Week 4?

This is the second time I have attempted the Couch to 5k program and I keep having the same issue.  There seems to be a huge jump between week 3 and week 4, you go from running 9 minutes total to 16 minutes!  Anyone have any advice as to how to get through it?  I can feel myself starting to give up again and I don't want to as I've noticed a huge difference both in losing weight and just feeling healthy overall!  Appreciate the help!

• deanscox Pro 107 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    1. Mar 23, 2012 9:19 AM (in response to Scottish Laura)

I think you should feel free to repeat W3 as many time as you want before moving on.  Also maybe look at the schedule and write yourself a week or two thta splits the differrence between W3 and 4  and do that before moving on.  Nothing says you have to do the whole program in 9 weeks and you are not going to just do 9 weeks and quit, you are beginning to change your life!  

I am just finishing W9 and I haven't exercised in 35 years, so I understand your struggle.  I can't just go out an exercise for the "thrill" of it, I had to have a motivation, so I picked a 5K that was far enough in the future to fit the schedule and paid for the entry fee....that kept me motivated.     Do you think that might help?   Also, nothing says you have to run the whole 5K, if you register....jog as much as you can and then walk....the goal the first time is completion and the solid satisfaction that you did it.

I am impressed that you are trying again.  YOU CAN DO IT!

Also, I kep myself accountable by loggin in here every run day and logging how I felt, what the weather was like, how I did etc....in a weird way that kept me going too.   Laura, what you are doing is great and you are giving yourself one of the best gifts you could possibly ever give.  Rock on, Baby!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    2. Mar 23, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to Scottish Laura)

I agree with dean.  I am a C25K 'graduate' and I recall doing week 3 for at least 2 weeks (it may have even been 3 weeks).  I think it really helped doing it over again.  Do the same weeks as many times and necessary and only move on when you feel ready.

Keep at it.  If I can do it, YOU can do it!!  Trust me.  (I could barely run 60 seconds before I started this program)

Kris

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    3. Mar 23, 2012 9:39 AM (in response to Scottish Laura)

Did you actually try to run the longer run?  I was really unsure about the increase before I did it, but when the day came to actually run it, I found out I could do it.  It's a huge confidence booster.  One thing I did though was run a bit longer on the earlier runs - splitting the difference - so the jump wasn't quite as extreme.  As long as you keep a slow easy pace, it is doable.  The problem is usually more a head problem than a physical problem.  I think that by asking for such a big jump, the program teaches you that you are capable of doing more than you thought you were, which helps a lot when you get to the point of running nonstop.

• BabyCatcherNat Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    4. Mar 25, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to Scottish Laura)

I agree with what everyone has said...try week 4, you may surprise yourself!  I did this and I did, in fact, surprise myself at what I could do.  But repeating week 3 is also a great option if you struggle with week 4...but give it a try.

Embrace the Journey

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points