Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1176 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 6:02 PM by NancyLFreeman
TRIPLEPLAY44 Amateur 33 posts since
Feb 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2012 1:26 PM

Hotel or Drive? What is your cutoff distance/time?

Where do you draw the line as far as driving the morning of or staying in a hotel the night before an event? I know there is a cost in staying, but sometimes the extra sleep is better for perfomance in the event. What about other factors like start time of event, actual distance of event, or size of event for traffic/packet pickup.

Mine is any event under half marathon distance is 90 minutes and any event half and above is about 1 hour 15min.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Mar 11, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I am not a good traveler, and I figure any time in the vehicle is extra stress/strain on the body, so I am willing to drive 30-45 minutes the morning of a race, and that is about the limit.  Otherwise, I do make arrangements to arrive the day before and sometimes plan on staying an additional night following the race.  (I really do dread the highway time, because it is typically exhausting). 

For shorter events, staying with friends and family members really helps.  In longer races, a hotel room might be the better option for the quiet time to relax and focus. 

I think there should be a network of running host houses (for lack of a better term).  I know some cities provide this for special elite athletes and so on for major marathon races, but I am talking about offering a place for out-of-town participants to connect with local runners and stay at their homes, for example. (instead of paying for a motel room in an unknown city).  It would be a wonderful method to bring fellow runners together. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

I live in Los Angeles, where we take long distance freeway drives for granted. For a 5K or 10K, I'll routinely drive up to about 50 mi for a good race, especially if it's an 8 AM start (probably the most common start time). When I see a 7 AM start, I usually start looking for an alternative that starts at 8 AM (LOL), but I've done some 7 AM starts where I particularly liked the course, or the cause, or the T-shirt. For a 5K or 10K, I don't bother with the expense of a hotel. My own bed the night before the race is just fine (unless I am already somewhere else, like visiting friends out of town).

As an example, here's my approximate upper limit: In late April there's a 5K in Anaheim whose route goes through Angel Stadium. Being a diehard baseball fan, I definitely want to run that course (not to mention getting the cool T-shirt and free game ticket). It is a 7 AM start, 45 mi from my house, and there will probably be about 5000 runners. Although there will be plenty of parking spots - they will have the Angel Stadium lots - I anticipate traffic jams approaching the stadium. So I will probably have to leave my house at 5 AM. And the odds are very high that I will indeed haul myself out of bed and be quite happy to do this race 

For a half marathon or a marathon, however, I would defiintely consider staying in a hotel near the start line. I've done two halves and a full, all 3 of them with large race fields and 7 AM start times, and commuted 40 mi each way from my house all 3 times. So I had to get up at 3:45 AM and deal with exceptionally nasty traffic jams and parking jams (even by LA standards). A hotel would have been a real nice way to avoid those hassles.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    3. Mar 12, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to Jasko123)

Jasko, I think there is such a network; an ad for something like that popped up on my Facebook page a little while ago.  If it reappears I'll post it here.

I live on the east side of the Phoenix metro area and I tend to stick to my side of town for the shorter races.  For me the main decider is how early I would have to get up, taking into account starting time, packet pickup, what time the shuttle to the start leaves (for one-way races), etc.  4:00 or 4:30 is about my limit.  Also if it's a longer race (HM+) I don't want a long drive afterwards, so maybe a 50-mile radius there before I start to think about a hotel.  Actually, there was one local marathon (Lost Dutchman) where I stayed in the host hotel just because it made logistics a lot easier and I got an extra hour of sleep.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    4. Mar 14, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

We live in a little tiny town, so to get anywhere to run we have to drive at least an hour. If I run in our area, I prefer to drive, but if its over an hour and a half, I would rather spend the night.

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Aha!  Here it is, the link to the runners room rental service: http://www.airbnb.com/groups/running   A big ol caveat that I have not used this BB either as a renter or a rentee, I'm not associated with it in any way, and can't vouch for it in any way.  Just looks like a neat service, if it works.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...