Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

830 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 1:17 PM by flamomof3 RSS
31Diva Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2012 5:49 AM

Need advice about 5k

I want to participate in the 5k that is coming up to support a school district. I've never ran in anything, but I decided that this year I would try. I really don't have much time since the race is at the beginning of May. Should I signup? Not looking to win - just want to finish and support. Haven't done any training! Is it to late to start this week?

• JeremyInOhio Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 8, 2012
    1. Mar 26, 2012 7:13 AM (in response to 31Diva)
    Need advice about 5k

If you really want to do it, I'd start training right away with something like the Couch-to-5K program. By the time May comes around, you will be 1/2 way through the Couch-to-5K program and will almost for sure be able to complete the 5k race using a combination of Jogging/Walking. If while walking you can keep up a brisk walk, and then jog as much as you feel comfortable with (whatever place you are in the program) then you should be able to complete the race within a realistic time frame. Using the walk/jog method you will be toward the rear of the pack, but with a little effort you probably will not be the last.

The important thing in running is to not over do it at first, especially if you are doing well and you think you *can* do more. Stick with the program, avoid the urge to do more. Doing more initially with running will get you injured and you surely will not be able to run the 5k then.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2. Mar 26, 2012 7:15 AM (in response to 31Diva)
    Need advice about 5k

I was incredibly out of shape when I dedided to do my first 5k, but I had two months to prepare.  Depending on some factors; age, over all health, etc. and as long as you're not too out of shape I would think it can be done.

Start training, if it's like most 5k's you'll be able to sign up on race day.  You'll know if you're ready by race day.

Cheers!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Mar 26, 2012 7:56 AM (in response to 31Diva)
    Need advice about 5k

There are plenty of Couch to 5K (C25K) programs online that you can check out, and they are very easy to follow and can easily be modified to fit each person individually.  It all starts with someone giving the program a try and pretty soon they are off and running, figuratively and literally.  Since all you want to do is to participate and support the 5k, then this is perfect for you and it is not too late.  Have fun with it and with the 5k.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 27, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to 31Diva)
    Need advice about 5k

No, do the best you can and have fun!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points