Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1298 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 5:34 PM by patrickdives89
sapphiregal Expert 59 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2012 9:07 PM

Having a Full time Job - When do you run?

I work full time - I need to be at work by 8am but I usually arrive earlier at around 7:15 (I teach) to give me more time to prepare for classes. I dont get home until around 6pm. By the time I get home dinner is ready (yes my husband cooks!). I then often feel too tired or relaxed to go out and run. My husband and I usually go to bed around 12am - we go bed so late because we watch movie together have some quiet time together after our 3 kids are in bed.

I do wonder if I should start running in the morning? But that would be so early! Since It usually takes about 45 minutes for me to shower and get ready for work. Urgh!!

Curious about you who work full time when do you run?? Where? How often and long?

Thanks!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    1. Mar 26, 2012 7:28 AM (in response to sapphiregal)

Tons of individual factors here and all situations are different, but....

For me, I like to run in the mornings during the spring/summer months.  On my running days, I'm typically out the door by 4:30a.  When I run in the evenings I don't eat dinner until after my running.  Once I eat dinner or have a cocktail I don't run.

Cheers!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    2. Mar 26, 2012 7:53 AM (in response to sapphiregal)

As the first replier stated it all depends on each person's circumstances.  Me, I am a single guy with a somewhat regular schedule, with not much preparation before the start of the work day to do (unlike teachers, and I have quite a few friends who are teachers) or I can eat dinner whenever I want at the end of the day.  Sometimes I run before work, sneaking in about three miles starting at 5 am.  I can get cleaned up and pretty enough in about thirty minutes so I am at work by 630 (quickly receding hairline helps with the toweling off process )  Sometime I would run after work and I am able to get in 4-5 miles at a local park, or at work - I work at a Navy base and there are plenty of roads that aren't full of cars to run.  Good luck with your search for getting in more running.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Mar 26, 2012 8:39 AM (in response to LPARafael)

I run whenever I can, I can't run in the morning, with getting 2 kids ready drop them off a 2 seperate school and getting me to work by 7:30  that is a race in itself.  I do work 12 hour shifts so I generally have 2 mornings off thru the week, after I drop the girls off I can go run or ride my bike.  My running buddy is a teacher, so we do short runs after school, when I am off, and long runs on the weekends, if I have to work the weekend we run when we can.  I never like to go 3 or 4 days without running, I am afraid I might stop.  One Saturday morning when we were running in the light rain and only saw 4 other people in 8 miles, I told her I guess we really are runners.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 27, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to ItsLinda)

I run when I drop all 3 kids of at school in the morning, if not then I can't run because we own a restaurant..my husband is there during day, I go in and close it at night.

• patrickdives89 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008
    5. Mar 27, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to sapphiregal)

I work at a high school, in guidance.  My commute is about 45 mins to and from school, so morning running is out.  One thing that has helped me is having a rec center next to the school with running trails.  It's rewarding to see students out running also and I think it earns me a few "cool" points.  Do you have any trails near your school?  A co-worker and I usually run 1 time per week on the trails and I also run them when meetings run later in the afternoon.  On other days I run in my neighborhood.  This is usually after 4:30.  Many days when I run I feel tired after the commute and long day but it also really helps me burn the day's stress off.  Before getting into education and having the commute I do, I used to run in the morning and I still prefer A.M. workouts but this can only happen on Saturdays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...