Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2564 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 9:28 PM by Michael Lohr RSS
LucyLovesRunning Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2012 9:23 AM

1st Post 2nd Marathon...depserate need of advice!

Hi everyone I am new to this as of today and would really appreciate some advice on my running. I am 3 weeks away from my 2nd marathon. The first one was a 'just get round' affair and this one I am hoping to do sub 4hrs. However! I was supposed to do a 22 mile run today but ended it early at 12 miles due to some quite severe and embarrassing stomach problems! I have also missed most of last weeks training runs too due to a bit of an injury. I have clocked up two 20 mile runs prior to this weekend but I am now fretting that I am not fit enough to do 4hrs now. Any advice on what to do for these last 3 weeks?? I was thinking of attempting the 22 miles tomorrow or maybe tuesday. I'm having a last minute marathon panic any advice will be great..Thanks in advance :-)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I would just start your taper.  You are not going to gain anything at this point.  Getting to the start line healthy and rested is most important!  Good luck

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

You will not loose your overall conditioning in the next couple of weeks, so I would not worry about any dramatic reductions in fitness level.  Race anxiety is totally normal and you just need to develop confidence in your past training and current abilities.  I know this is difficult if you become nervous about deviating from a particular plan to best prepare, but cut back to 15 or 17 on Tuesday and you will be just fine.....probably will suprise yourself marathon day!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012

I agree. Time to start your taper. You have two 20 mile runs under your belt. You will be fine.

• ron6788 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010

I wouldn't worry so much about the distance as you've already run a marathon so you know you can handle it.  I would concentrate on maintaining speed.  This week you could do a 12 mile run where the 1st 4 miles are easy, the next 4 are at race pace, and the last 4 are 1/4 min faster than race pace.  Two weeks out from the race, you could do an 8 miler, where the 1st 4 are at race pace and the last 4 a little faster.  Hopefully, these mid-distance runs will give you the pep you'll need to run the marathon @ 9mm like you want.  You didn't say what kind of injury you suffered last week but be careful running faster as it puts even more stress on your legs.

Sunset Classic 5m, Bloomfield, NJ, 6/11.............................................:40:43

Grings Mill 10k, Reading, PA, 8/11.......................................................:51:15

Battle of Brooklyn 10m, Brooklyn, NY, 8/11...........................................1:26

Yonkers' Marathon, Yonkers, NY, 9/11................................................:..4:08

Blues Cruise 50k, Leesport, PA , 10/11....................................................6:23

• Michael Lohr Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 21, 2010

Too many people do these Super Long Runs.  To cut to the chase, ultimately they are a waste of time. Greta Weitz set the womens world record in the New York marathon several decades ago in 2 hours and 32 mins. On a personal level I have never ran a single workout over 14 miles since I had Cancer in 2007. Last year I ran 2 marathons inder 3:40. (Note I am over 50)

Sometimes Less is more. Learn to run efficently. Not Hard!

Anyhow it is best not to stress. Listen to above advice and start to taper. Having "fresh" legs is more worthwhile then being maginally better in shape.

Best of Luck and have Fun!!!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points