Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

295684 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Previous Next
  • ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Mar 23, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to NzAndy)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Hello everyone,

Well I am in Waco Texas, preparing for my half tomarrow.  I don't think this will be as "easy" as I thought, we ran yesterday and it was tough here, the wind is something.  I felt like I was in a Bob Seager song, running against the wind, we don't have this wind of wind in Tennessee.  To top that off, I find out the hills everyone has been taking about, my daughter tells me are like our driveway, we live on a ridge, they will be steep.  I tell her we will walk up and run down,  Well we will do our best, my only goal is to finish, with my daughter, how many other grad students have asked their mother to come a run wih them?  I don't think many, I will just enjoy being with her, this is the first time we have spend any real time toghter, sine she left for collage 6 years ago, I mean when she comes home there are so many people she has to visit, I have been here since Wednesday and I've stayed at her house, gone to school with her(sat in her office) gone to the Hunger Gases opening at 12:01 last night!. just basically hung out.  If she askes me again I will come next year.

Happy Running

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    181. Mar 23, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to ItsLinda)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Run strong Linda!! Good luck!!! come back and let us know how it went. Love that you are running with dear daughter!!

Thanks, Andy, you are right. I already finished the HH HM program so I'll just finish the next six weeks training myself, running whenever I want whereever I want. HA! I really have 6 more weeks! Thought for sure I'd injure myself. Better stop talking like that.

Penny, am looking for Promax bars. Got a new shipment of gel and Endurolyte from Hammer chock full of free samples.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    182. Mar 24, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay thank you so much for the support.

We ran this morning and everything was great.  The wind had calmed down and was not a issue, it was cool, but the hills were big and lasted 4-5 miles,  but with walking up and running down, I felt fine and I think finished better than I usually do, not time wize but energy level.  We finished under 2:45 , which is about 10 minutes slower than I usually do, but I think it was a wonderful time for the toughest half in Texas

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    183. Mar 27, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to ItsLinda)

Hi Linda, congrats on the race.  Amazing to hear mother and daughter spending time running races.  You tackled the hills very well, walking up and running down. 

Mary Kay - good luck on your next 5k race this weekend.   Have not tried hammer gels yet.  I still got to finish my cliff supplies. 

I run a 9-miler this Sunday with a friend.  Felt great during the entire run.  After the run, we went for a healthy breakfast at a local diner and then later indulge a bit on one red velvet cupcake for a quick sugar fix.  Monday, went for a  950-meter swim for cross training to make up for the sugar fix.  Tuesday is a complete rest day and finally will do laundry and house cleaning.

Run safe and run fierce.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    185. Mar 27, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to edensacres)

Congrats Linda on your Half!!!! I am really happy you both did so well.  Mary Kay, good luck this weekend on your race, your going to do great.  Stephanie, on long training runs, I use cliff bar shot bloxs, and on races I use GU.  I use the GU on races becasue of the added electrolytes.  I never push myself super hard on the training runs so no need for the added electrolytes.  I just make sure the shorts I wear have some sort of pocket.  Also make sure that you take water with the carbs no mater what type you take.

So I ran the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k over the weekend and surpassed last years time by over 8 mins.  I was worried that I had taken off too quickly by the time I hit the 5k,  but I still managed to beat my goal of 52 mins with at time of 48:48.  I hope everyone is doing well, I have to start logging more miles starting this week, my 1/2 is in two months and my mileage is a little behind.  Hope all are well, run safe

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    186. Mar 27, 2012 4:02 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Penny, I had my first physical therapy session last week. Besides the issue with my IT Band I also have problems with my SI-joint. The session was good, the therapist showed me how my hips were not on the same height and this explained why I was putting my weight on my left side/hip all the time for the past weeks! He was able to work on it and it has been better since. So far I only have one exercise for homework. I will be going back on Thursday and starting next week I will be able to go 2x a week (also the new semester starts next week, so everything will be stressful again and no stress outlet through running). I also went to get acupuncture on Saturday. Both PT and acupuncture seemed to help a bit. Still I do feel pain/discomfort almost constantly. So far my only workout is to go on a 1-2 mile walk....  Congrats on your 9 mile run, that's awesome! :-)))

Andy, I am still doing research about bikes, but I am pretty sure it will be the Kona Kahuna. Can't wait to buy it and to go on my first ride! :-) I still have to wait for the okay of my PT though, if my joint is stable he might give the okay. Oh - my running shoes are also the Asics Kayano, love them.

I did hit another low point today being completely frustrated about not exercising at all for such a long time. Also just thinking that I probably will have lost lots of the endurance I had...that thought really made me sad!  I know I have to be patient and will be patient. On the brighter side I know I will be very grateful once I will be able to run again or bike ride .... AND I will not think about the HM in May anymore, I think that one is just not realistic anymore. Should I be able to run before that I will run the 5k of the same event (the event is in one of my very favorite areas here around LA) and will then try just to run a really good time. Also I will hopefully run more 10k's... .and the HM in November in Big Sur/Monterey will be my big goal. Should I be able to run a HM before that - then fine! Otherwise November will be my goal.

Anyway... a great week and happy running to everybody!

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    187. Mar 27, 2012 8:13 PM (in response to edensacres)

To all... It has been a tough week so far and it is only Tuesday...

Sunday - had a great run.  I went out on a scheduled 8 mile run and the Garmin went dead at .73 mile  I know the course and approximately how long it is in different sections.  The goal was a slow run at 11-12min/ mile.  Finished the first section , probably just over 4 miles in 45 minutes.  I did the next section - 4 - 1 mile runs up and down a 1/2 mile hill in 44 minutes.  I believe I did about 8.0 - 8.25 miles and will check it Sunday with the Garmin and see what the total actually was.

Did I mention that I did not start the run until 9:30?  I finished at 11pm ......

Monday / Tuesday - these days were wrapped up in issues.  I had to do interviews, talk with companies and make a decision on a job.  I did accept a position that will allow me to do training in the am (it is a 2nd shift position) and that was wrapped up this afternoon.  Waiting around for phone calls only allowed for stretching and some light exercising at home.

Tomorrow - back on the schedule with an aerobic class and then a run on the TM.

Britta...  I think what I have found is that you need to practice with different combinations of gels, etc in your training runs. For me, I realized:

1)  I use honey stinger gels - the flavor is good (if you like honey) and I have had good results. 

2)  If I use Gu gels, I need to drink water only.  Gu gels and Gatorade/ etc do NOT mix well in the belly

3)  I sweat A LOT, no matter the temperature.  So, for long runs I take along some Endurolytes with me.  My last marathon, these helped me make it past the 13 mile marker without issues.  My first marathon resulted in severe dehydration and lack of minerals in the body.  I crashed at mile 14/15 and had a rough finish.  The 2nd one resulted in a better finish by about 6 minutes and I got past mile 20 before the body rejected my efforts.  Recovery was much easier and I was walking better a couple of hours before.

Just my experience - listen to your body and try  out different combinations to see what works for you.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    188. Mar 27, 2012 9:12 PM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric,

I think you have mistaken me for Stephanie ;-)  So far I have never tried any gels. On my long runs (up to 9 miles) I only used Gatorade and some pieces of an energy bar. I usually drink the entire bottle I have in my hydration belt on my long runs. I always wondered how to do this in a HM which is much longer than my longest run. Like Stephanie I wondered how other runners do this... I usually start drinking a bit after a few miles but by the end of my runs the bottle is empty. So I guess it makes sense to make use of the water and Gatorade stations they have in races in addition to what I have?

Sorry to hear that it's been a tough week for you, I hope it will get better!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

Aug 2, 2009
    189. Mar 27, 2012 9:36 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

You are probably right, I thought it was you that had asked about the gels - but I was reading it from the mobile phone then tried to respond from memory.

I do the same - I use the hydration belt on longer than 8 mile runs unless I am doing short loops around the house. 

From experience, most HM in our area has limited support ( I have done the smaller ones) so I take the belt with me and use their stations as added.  Take a look at the map and plan out when you think you will need it.  I find out if they will be doing powerade or gatorade.  One of them reacts with specific gels in my system so if that is what is provided, I will take more sport drink that I can use and less water.  I then just take water at the stations. 

One thing- I actually use a 4 bottle belt.  It may be overkill, but I am a slow poke.  10 min mile is my goal for this 1/2 coming up in May.  2hrs 10 min +/-.  I like the "endurance" portion of races

One note, I know some HM do provide a gel station.  I have learned to make sure it is not opened yet.  Had the volunteer open one for me and not knowing, I put it in the belt for later use.  I could not figure out why my stuff was sticky when I finished until I found the empty packet.

I also use the endurolytes based on the weather to prevent dehydration before the race.

My race times (2012)

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    190. Mar 28, 2012 6:40 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta - just take it easy.  Good to hear that PT and acupuncture are helping to relieve the pain.   I'm really no expert but maybe you can ask about limb length discrepancy causing the height difference between the hips.  Maybe orthotics can help.  But check this out with a podiatrist or an orthopedist.  For exercise, try pool walking, again ask your doctor's opinion about this.   Do not worry about your HM in May, there will be a lot more races to run. Just focus on a complete recovery.  Big Sur/Monterey HM in November seems interesting.  Like you, I am still doing my research for my road bike.

Nick - awesome time on your 8k race.  Nice job! 

Eric - can feel your frustration when the GPS watch goes dead.   Occasionally, I would just run without a watch, iPod, or any other gadget.  It takes the pressure off and makes the run more fun.

Stephanie - like Eric, I use a 4-bottle hydration belt for long runs of more than 9 miles. I fill 3 bottles with Gatorade and one bottle with water.  I freeze them if the weather is hot.  It has a small pouch to keep my lip balm, gel, or keys.  My mizuno shirt has a small back pocket for an energy gel.  NB running shorts have zipped up pockets. I use those for my first HM and planning to use them again in my next HM.  I take cliff gels with the caffeine.  I liked the shot bloks too as recommended by Andy.  I also enjoy clif bars for its flavor, chocolate almond fudge and white chocolate  macadamia. For recovery, I take promax bars.  For shorter runs, I just use the Nathan handheld filled with water.

Run safe and run fierce.

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    191. Mar 28, 2012 7:07 AM (in response to edensacres)

I am currently in training for my first half in Dec. I know its a little ways out, but it never hurts to get a jump on the half. So far I have done a 15K three weeks ago, a 5K two weeks ago, and fixin to do another 5K in a week. I try and do strength training at least three days a week, and run 3m, 2m, 3m, 3m, 4 m, with an increase of 1 mile per week until I can comfortably do the entire 13 . This is a great thread!!! I find it easier to train if I have accountability and encouragement!  Good Luck to all!!!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    192. Mar 28, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to edensacres)

YAY Linda !!! Great going! Good for you. I am HOPING to finish in 2:45! That is really impressive for a hilly run! Now I need to know how to talk my daughter into just doing the C25k. She's the one who got me started and then stopped doing it when I started liking it.

Penny, it was a cupcake not a cake. Then again, maybe that's why I haven't lost any weight. Glad you're enjoying your runs!

Stephanie, you can probably guess what I'm going to say about the supplements. I jumped on the Hammer wagon. Love a merchant with free samples! But aside from that, I have tried GU, Gatorade's gel and the high performance GU. I really like the taste of Hammer gels the best because they aren't so sweet. The others are unappealing to me. My favs are Vanilla and Tropical. Chocolate tasted good but too much like a treat. I bought a simple belt with a pocket to carry my iPhone a while back for $14 at a Dick's. I slid some rubber bands onto the strap and tuck the gels in there. Just this week I bought a much nicer belt from iFitness and I love it. The strap is stretchy so the belt stays put on my hips and has a whole lot of pockets and places to stash. I'm going to try working with a three serving flask for gel instead of packets, too. For the heart mini (9.3 mi.) I figured I'd be running 2.5 hrs so I started finishing a gel and a banana before the run and took two (one each hour) during the run. Also had perpetuum tablets (taste like chalk) for later but opted instead for GU chomps and then found some chocolate milk and a banana right after the run. Although I was exhausted, I had plenty of physical strength left and no muscle pain, just that drained feeling you get after the adrenaline wears off. 

WhooHoo, Nick! Congratulations on your race and that's a great time! Sounds like you are doing really well!

Britta, planning a 5k in May is totally realistic and kudos to you for the compromise. This sounds so frustrating. I am sorry it's been so hard.

Welcome, kris!

Sometime this weekend it hit me that I am in the HM home stretch and it felt great! Don't know how that happened but it got me really excited and focused. I checked out the course for the first time and it's a bear. WTH? There is a steady climb from mile 5 to mile 12. Thought all I had to do was jog 13.1, not climb. So, ok, I went out last night for hill work and love how strong I feel the first couple of miles. So then I get really breathless but kept on going because it was cool out and I was focused. I only went 4 miles but all up and down. This morning I had to drive the same road to work and it was really neat  thinking "I went up and down this hill and that one and the one past it and even the one past that." I am really getting excited. Of course, I almost tripped getting out of the tub. Twice. Oh, yeah, had a great 11 mi. run Sat, too.

Enjoy your runs, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Matt33Savage Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2012
    193. Mar 28, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to edensacres)

I entered my first 5K for St. Patricks Day to finish, not to compete, ... or maybe it was the thought of green beer. Today I signed up for a Half Marathon - Air Force in Dayton, OH. Gulp. 6 months to get ready.

Aug 2, 2009

Matt... good luck on the HM in Dayton.  I have heard that is a good race.  I hope to sometime get back in the area and run there.

I have to remind myself of something when I do the aerobic class... take something to eat.  I get kicked around for an hour in the class then wonder why I am dead on the TM trying to do speed/ hills/ etc.

Today, I did the class then was able to do 5x 1/4 mile repeats at 8:34/ 8:20/ and so on... just pushing it each 1/4 mile. I did a each repeat with a 1 min recovery at 12 min/ mile.  It was tough, but I completed it.  After I finished, I kept going until I hit 4 miles in just over 42 minutes.  I had to push it at the end due to having no fuel in my system.  That will change in the near future though

Tomorrow AM, doing a run outside before heading out for errands...

My race times (2012)

Personal Best :

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...