Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

50955 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM by KD8FQM Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • lisabel2010 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Mar 8, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to Shrewsberry)
    Any December 2011 starters?

Ok, have been off the radar lately, lots of drama at the house.  In spite of it all, I have continued to run.  This Saturday will be my first ever 5K!  I am excited/nervous...leaning toward excited so I don't psych myself out.  Any words of wisdoom?  Any suggestions on things I should do the night before?  I am going for a light 1 mile jog today, just to keep the legs moving....

Any and all support would be much appreciated!

L

• littleTortoise Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    271. Mar 8, 2012 9:55 PM (in response to lisabel2010)

Good for you for sticking with it!

I found that doing a race was the best thing for me to be accountable for completing the c25k. I'm no expert but here's what I learned. Drink water the day before your race. Don't be tempted to buy new clothes or shoes (wait until afterward). Wear tried & true gear. If you're comfortable then your body will think its just another workout. You've done the work before and you can do it again!

We're cheering for you- Have fun!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    272. Mar 9, 2012 8:56 AM (in response to lisabel2010)

Good Luck Lisabel !! 

I have yet to do an official 5K, so I have no words of wisdom for you (sorry)....but I would LOVE if you would report back and let us know how everything went for you!!

I am going to sing up for a local 5K that isn't until April 21st so I have a little time yet to prepare myself (my tummy just fluttered thinking about it).

Have a great time!!   You will do great!

Kris

Dec 4, 2011
    273. Mar 10, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to offmycouch)

Well, I did it!  I completed my first official 5K and have lived to tell the tale.  Granted, I did walk a few times, but more running than walking.  Is my time stellar, no compared to the guy who won at 15.16.  However, considering in December I couldn't run for 30 seconds without dying, my 39.29 is quite amazing.  The fact that I sit here to tell the tale and am actually still semi vertical is an even more astounding feat.  I cannot thank my supporters enough, moral and training.  And now I lay me down to sleep to dream of my next one!

Lisa

Jun 22, 2011
    274. Mar 15, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to lisabel2010)

Way to go Lisa !!    So very proud of you!! 

And a good time too, in my book.  When I am running a 5K on my treadmill, I try and shoot for anything under 40 minutes (I am pretty slow) and I have only hit that mark 4 or 5 times (running and walking, like you).

How were you feeling before the run?  What did you end up eating before and how long before the run did you eat?

Did you have someone with you that had done this before?  Sorry about all the silly questions, but I am thinking of doing my first 5K in April alone and want to know what to expect.

I am so happy for you....and look forward to hearing about your next 5K.

Kris

Dec 4, 2011
    275. Mar 18, 2012 8:32 AM (in response to offmycouch)

Hey Kris,

Thanks so much for the encouragement!  It really was a fun time and huge for me to have reached my goal started way back in December.  I was pretty nervous/excited before the run.  I ran with 3 others that I work with and we parked at one of their homes and walked the 5 minutes to the starting line.  That was great since I was concerned about just starting cold.  On our way there though, we saw a lot of people doing a block or so warm up run, so that was good for me to know for my next one.  The night before, I ate a bowl of pasta per my friend who is a marathoner.  Not too much, just enough.  The next morning I was so excited, that in all honesty, I completely forgot to eat breakfast!  I had a coffee and tons of water though, and that seemed to be ok.  The gal that I ran with most of the race was also a newbie, the marathoner having taken off like a gazelle!  So off and on throughout the race, I had a running partner.  She tended to run faster than I and so needed to take more frequent walk breaks.  I crossed the line by myself, sprinting at the very end just for good measure!

You will have a blast when you do decide to do one.  My best piece of advice to you which was given to me is to start out much more slowly than you think you should.  The adrenaline will be coursing through your veins and you will be excited by all the other people taking off quickly.  Just fight the urge to go fast.  My mantra throughout the race was "Sustainable Pace".

Let me know how you do!  My next one hopefully will be in May.....

Lisa

• littleTortoise Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    276. Mar 18, 2012 9:37 PM (in response to flatwatertx)

Well, I've completed week 3 of B210k! Next week 3x18 min runs... My feet get really hot on these longer runs and I got a bruised toenail :( I'm shopping for new running shoes though. I tried a pair by Brooks that was so soft! But first, I want to check out this running store that does a gait analysis for you. They record you running on a treadmill, do some other tests and give you 4 recommendations for the perfect shoe to try. Has anyone tried this measurement stuff before to any success?

• Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    277. Mar 19, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to littleTortoise)

@littleTortoise - that's so funny! I start week 4 of B210K this week as well - today in fact.

I have to say I hate the 3 intervals! I'm looking forward to the 2 x 20+ minute runs in week 5...

Boy if I could have heard myself say that when I was in week 4 of c25k!

Jun 22, 2011
    278. Mar 29, 2012 7:31 AM (in response to lisabel2010)

I signed up for a 5K in April.  I am nervous, but determined.

I have this vision of the organizers packing everything up while I am still out there trying to finish the course....20+ minutes behind everyone else. 

I do want to thank everyone on here for posting all of your trials and tribulations....and triumphs.  All the words of encouragement from everyone throughout this journey has helped me so much.

I hope everyone is keeping up with their running and perhaps even going further than you were going before.

If anyone is on Facebook and would like to keep in touch at all that way, let me know.

Good luck to all.

Kris

• KD8FQM Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 24, 2011
    279. Mar 29, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to offmycouch)

We have a 5K Run/Walk coming up the end of April. Unfortunately, I have a prior committment on that day and cannot participate. The format will start the runners at 10AM and the walkers af 10:15. It sure would be embarassing to be lapped by a walker. :>)

Bob

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...