Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1687 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 3:14 PM by KellyCook574
KellyCook574 Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2012 3:07 PM

Starting in the morning

After thinking about this for a long time, purchasing new running shoes and doubting my ability, this 49 year old mom of 4 is starting her running way of life all over again.  I ran for fitness and "me time" ten years ago or more. After having a cyst removed from my left ankle and still experiencing chronic ankle pain daily ( which became my excuse for stopping) I know it's time to start over. I'm now 20 pounds heavier despite a good healthy diet. I know all work and no exercise has caused this weight gain.  I'm ready for the weight to go.  Running will not only help my health but give me what I'm missing. Can anyone who is close to my age give me any advice on starting this all over again.  I'm excited about starting, but nervous that I might fail. Any advice will help and motivate me!  Thanks in advance.

• GiveMeStrength Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    1. Mar 25, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Starting in the morning

Congrats on your decision to start again!!! You can do it!  I'm 47 and have never run before.

2 weeks ago I started the Couch to 5K (C25K) running program.  This morning I successfully completed Week 3, Day 1!!!!   Absolutely amazing!  I can't say that I'm enjoying the running, I'm still at the point where I'm tolerating it and praying that I make it through that day's session, but the feeling afterwards is amazing!  I feel like I can conquer the world!!!  Now if only my knees would stop hurting I would go out to celebrate!

You can do it...not sure if the C25K program would be too elementary for you, but it's definitely working for me.  I downloaded the NHS podcast from itunes so I have Laura the English lady telling me when to start running and when to stop.  It's helped enormously so I don't have to obsessively look at my watch.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning and sending good wishes and prayers your way!!!  Please post how you did!

Take care!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 27, 2012 1:20 PM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Starting in the morning

I started at 43 and I also have 4 kids the youngest is now 3,  I started the c25k and I've been running every since! Good Luck

• Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    4. Mar 29, 2012 4:11 AM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Re: Starting in the morning

Kelly,

I am almost 49. I started C25K at 48 and was able to complete it according to schedule. Before taking up running I had been fairly active in other sports but had gradually put on a few extra pounds over the years. Thanks to running, I have been able to get rid of an extra 20 pounds. At first the running was hard and the weight lose seemed slow but I just kept running and trying to eat a healthy balanced diet and the results eventually came.

Relax and don't worry about failing. C25K is for everyone and if you struggle at times just come back to this forum and read about all the other non-runners who completed C25K and made running a part of their lives.  Good luck - you can do it!

Golden Tips

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• sprinter1975 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 29, 2012
    5. Mar 29, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Re: Starting in the morning

I am new to running and have found it enjoyable.  I have three children and was a couch potato.  They ran circles around me until I read these articles on Mark Pallai of Vancouver.  It said to get out into the fresh air and enjoy myself by running.  I laughed because I didn't think it would happern.

To make a long story short.  I followed Mark Pallai advice to get out there and run.  I am now enjoying challegne my children to see who can run the farthest and the fastest.  We make a game out of it and sometimes they win.  Lately, I have been making it hard for them to win.  I feel alive and full of energy.

What I would like to know is if anyone has read these artices of Mark Pallai and followed his advice?   It sounds like sound advice.

Who is Mark Pallai of Vancouver Canada?

• CasyJo Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    6. Mar 29, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Starting in the morning

Kelly,

I am a 53 woman that has run off/on again for 15 years.  I had an ITB Syndrom injury years ago that resolved - but lead to arthritis in my left knee.  Same as you - pain every day.  I tore my achilles tendon last year (running and stepped off a curb - if you can believe that) and just stopped running.  So now I am easing my way back into running with the C25K.  Tomorrow I will be on W6D3 of the program. Already so soon into the program - my pants are already looser.

After about 3-5 minutes of a run - my knee seems to stop aching and then it is smooth sailing.  I don't know if this will help you or not - but I repeat a mantra or two during my runs.  When my knee is aching at first - I keep repeating "pain is weakness leaving the body" or "smoother, softer and relaxer".  I think I got those from runner's world.  Sounds funny - but it works for me.

I would just like to encourage you to keep with it.  As you know - running is hard at first - but you will build endurance, lung capacity and eventually drop pounds - it's going to get easier!

• PuppyRunner Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    7. Mar 29, 2012 5:41 PM (in response to KellyCook574)
    Starting in the morning

Congrats to you to get back in to running and feeling good! I'm 44 and Mom to 3 kids. I started last summer with C25K and I had never really run before at all. I had a little knee pain for the first few weeks but after that it's been great. I know that's not the same as coming back with an injury, but I hope it will be that easy for you.

Everyone said that after you can run 2 miles, the rest gets a lot easier, and I've found that to be true. I always run outside, no treadmill, and the first mile or so always feels a little rough, but then it all smooths out and I love it! I'm slow but I'm working on putting in the base miles, having fun and getting fitter.

So hang in there and you can do it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points