Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5175 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2012 5:55 PM by alohadreamer RSS
alohadreamer Amateur 35 posts since
Jan 1, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2012 6:05 PM

Suddenly feeling spent during runs???

Hi. getting down to my last month of training before my second ever HM, and just when I thought my injuries were pretty much conquered... I am starting to feel really tired on my runs. I even had to walk the other day, I gave up at  7 miles, walked about 10 minutes and could only run one more mile.I had planned on 10 or 11!!! It was unseasonly HOT out that day , so I will factor that in, but man it was discouraging! Maybe I am panicking trying to get those few long runs in . (I have done 2 10-milers so far). My legs felt dead. Any advice or has this happened to anyone? Maybe i need more rest in between? shorter runs in between? I have 5 weeks i feel old and fat.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Mar 24, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to alohadreamer)

alohadreamer Stop being so hard on yourself. We ALL have runs like that.MORE THAN ONCE However they are the ones that make you mentally stronger. It could of been the heat, lack of hydration, the speed you were running, lack of proper fuel prior, etc etc. Don't sweat it. You already know that after completing one HM and having two 10 milers under your belt during this training your already ready to go. I would suggest on your next long run. Rest the day prior if possible. Be sure your  fuel supply is good (whatever you have been doing) Use a Hammer gel pack, GU, Singer etc 15 minutes prior to your start. Instead of worrying about your speed. Concerate on covering the mileage. Run slow and hold back. If your not telling yourself your going to slow. THAN YOUR GOING TO FAST. Break your run in thirds. Ok I'll run 3.5 miles than I'm walking for 20 seconds (just like walking thru a water stop) repeat as needed. Remember your long runs are building your slow twitch muscles. It doesn't matter how fast your going. It's time on your feet that you need. Try to stay around 70% max HR. You can use your last two weeks to work on your pace as your mileage decreases.

PS

In regards to feeling fat & old. Someone fitting that description passed me in Jan at the Disney HM at mile10 as I was on my way to a PR. Remember it's also a head game.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Mar 26, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to Webpro11)

I agree with Webpro, take a extra day of rest if you need.  You are in the doldrums of your plan it will get better.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3. Mar 26, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to alohadreamer)

It is probably the heat. When it gets over 80 degrees things change. Run during the hottest time of the day and get used to it before it realy gets hot.

• Lorisue5 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2011
    5. Mar 28, 2012 8:08 PM (in response to alohadreamer)

Not sure about how long you have been running, your gender or age, but I am a physical therapist with a teenage daughter who runs cross country and distance events in track and a few additional non-school events over the summer.  This began happening to her during her 3rd cross country season with difficult recovery after each race and struggling through practices and races to maintain her same times from the seaon prior, even though she had worked much harder over the summer.  This was worse during warmer weather.  She continued to get more discouraged until I came across an article on iron deficiency, which is a precursor to anemia.  This is not uncommon in endurance athletes, and especially females.  It might be worth having yours checked out if this continues.  They need to check your serum ferritin levels, not just hemoglobin levels.  My daughter told me if this had continued all season she would not have wanted to run anymore.  5 weeks after starting her course of iron supplementation she ran her 4K PR of 15:04.  Good luck.

• DonovanSr Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 9, 2008
    6. Mar 29, 2012 7:22 AM (in response to alohadreamer)
    Re: Suddenly feeling spent during runs???

Alohadreamer; Sounds like you have been training for this particular race a while. Have you tapered your long runs yet? And hydration is a very important part of your run. We live in Texas and last year we had many days over 100, the low being in the 80's when we were training for a HM. I learned quickly about hydrating, no matter what temp., you need to stay hydrated.  Also, as far as feeling old and fat; I'm not fat, but I did my first Full Marathon, the Disney World Marathon, at age...60! I am not fast, my husband who is two years older is relatively fast, he is my coach and running partner. Never start feeling old and fat, you are out there doing it. If you feel the need the walk, that is your body telling you that you may need to recover, if only for a minute or less. I'm not an authority, I just do what works for me, and you will find what works for you. Good Luck on your Half.

Linda

• 1k@atime Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2012
    7. Mar 30, 2012 12:18 AM (in response to alohadreamer)

Maybe it might not hurt to take a break. Let your body rest and recharge for a few days. See how you feel after taking 3-4 days off. It does wonders for me sometimes. Good luck in the HM!

• RunningWatchReview Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012
    8. Mar 30, 2012 3:44 AM (in response to alohadreamer)

It is ok alohadreamer, don't be too hard on yourself. I would suggest that on your next long run, have longer rest the day prior if possible. You are just too tired since you haven't got so much rest in the past days that triggered that feelinf. It's not bad to take a break sometimes.

• GoRunningUS Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    9. Mar 30, 2012 9:59 AM (in response to alohadreamer)

Hi AlohaDreamer I don't know your running schedule or medical condition, and I don't want to sound alarmist or anything  BUT it sounds like your body is telling you something.  Its call heart disease.   I had exactly the same symptoms,  completely spent and fatugued, then I would recover. and then the same thing would happen again.  Please, please go to your doctor and have a complete cardio tread mill test done, along with a complete medical check up before your next marathon.  One in four has heart disease, even runners.  Many times ther are no symptoms at all.   I was lucky and am still running.   Daytona Runner

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...