Skip navigation

1737 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 10:06 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS
NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2012 6:13 AM

A Rant Against the Machine

I watched a 7th Grade middle school game yesterday. 90 foot field with 12-13 year olds on it. It looked huge on them. But what I wanted to share with this group was how terrible the PIAA patch wearing Umpire was. I will never or would never question an umps strike zone, so you aren't going to read that. I do and will always want to mention when I see straight out laziness. He was alone, so he had to call the entire field. Not once did he move his butt from behind the plate. Close play at 2nd on a steal? He called it safe from behind the plate. That's a long look from behind home on a 90 footer. All this from a very nicely dressed Umpire. I would bet it was new plate shoes, new pants and a new shirt. The lime green indicator showed no sign of wear either. So maybe it was his first game?  Then it happened.  Bases were loaded and a nubber hit toward short. The shortstop comes in and R2 runs into him, causing him to boot the ball.  I got Interference all the way.  What does our best dressed man have?  Nothing. I'm waiting for him to kill it, it never happens. Shortstop picks up the ball that he missed because of the bump and throws to first. He calls guy NOW safe at first and never mentions the Interference. At this point I stand and hear words coming out of my mouth, "How about the Interference Call, Blue?"  He says, there was no interference. The one teams coach comes over to me and says, "Dan, what do you have on that?" So I pull out my IPhone and pull up the rule. Show him the rule number and verse. He nicely asks to talk to the Ump in between innings, and the ump says, "I might have missed that call"!  That's it.

So the team who didn't get that call loses by 1 run and I feel bad/embarrassed and angry. (I was only watching) I did not talk to the Umpire after the game, even though I wanted to. I will be writing a critique of the game and sending it to PIAA at their listed e mail address.  I hope it filters down.  I give a lot of leeway for new umps, and I'm thinking PIAA officials start baseball at 7th grade, so he was probably new. But he was lazy and flat footed, and that I can not excuse. Not making any attempt to come out on any play, even those at first is unforgivable and needs to be reported.

http://bjays.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/umpire.jpg

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 28, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

Dude, you need to chillax.  If this is "patched" official, and he is new, there WILL be evaluators at his games.  He doesn't need a little league umpire with a smart phone on his butt. 

And the "you feeling bad angry/embarrassed" can be addressed by a little wonder drug called alprozalam. 

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Mar 28, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

NELL;

Let me start out by saying, "I guess I'm part of that machine". 

I'm a veteran PIAA umpire and I'm also the Rules Interpreter for PIAA Baseball in my area. 

I'm not from the same area that you're from, (But not too far away.)

Don't blame the machine for what is the exception to the norm.  This does indeed sound like a rookie umpire.  Otherwise he wouldn't have been working a 7th Grade game, and he wouldn't have been working solo.  The rookies and newbies always get stuck with the less important games.

That doesn't excuse the fact that he didn't move from behind the plate.  I constantly tell my guys that they need to move on each and every play, whether they're working 2-man, 3-man or 4-man.  (We would never send someone out to work a game solo)  And it certainly doesn't excuse missing what sounds like an obvious text-book interference call.   

Rather than sending your observations to PIAA, where it may or may not filter down to the local persons of responsibility, you should find out who the local President and Rules Interpreter are, and send it to them.  That way it has a better chance of being addressed, without bringing discredit to the local chapter as a whole.  But don't be surprised if they invite you to join their ranks.  We're always looking for some good knowledgable umpires.

Just out of curiousity, what rule did you show to the coach on your iphone? 

PIAA doesn't use OBR.  They use FED, and the numbers don't even come close to matching up.

May 25, 2007
    5. Mar 30, 2012 9:11 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

You didn't throw your Iphone at him, did you?

May 25, 2007
    7. Mar 30, 2012 10:38 AM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Re: A Rant Against the Machine

Intimidated?  Dude, you inspired the man...

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Apr 8, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to beowulf37)

I really, really hate school systems that insist on one man systems. Middle school and JV is what is used to train young guys, one man does nothing to do that. It developes bad habits that then have to broken as they move up. This guy is a prime example, he has no idea what he is doing wrong and won't working by himself.

Michael S. Taylor

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Apr 8, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

Cutbacks may be the problem in some areas but in others it has been that for years.

Michael S. Taylor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...