Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

171513 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 62 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    855. Mar 23, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to edensacres)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

WhooHoo, Stephanie! She's back!!! Ha, now you really get to work but so glad you're training. Hope you are enjoying it?

Deb, I lost ~30lbs about 15 yrs ago with WW and then 3 yrs ago dropped another 30 through portion control. I have the tools but worry about the impact. You bring up a good point, that there likely are books or articles on how to balance weight loss while actively running. Thanks. As it turns out, the weight is coming off so slowly, it can't possibly make a difference. I might be losing about 1/2 lb a week or I may have flushed that much water from my system. it's hard to tell. Love to celebrate but it's really easy to sweat away 2 lbs. water and then drink it back. Ughh! Hopefully I'll be able to stay on track for two more weeks and see real results - or not. Been doing this four weeks and getting very discouraged. Interestingly running setbacks have taught me to ignore doubts and trust the process.

It's stormy here right now. TM time. Run strong! Good luck to all!!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    856. Mar 23, 2012 8:15 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Mike - congratulations on finishing despite the knee problem. I hope it's healing.  Your time sounds pretty good, considering. 

Linda - good luck tomorrow.  Running on a fresh blister isn't easy.  Hope you have fun anyway.

mkayc - good luck on the weight loss.  I also lost most of my weight before I started running (45 lbs.)  I thought running would help with the last 10, but in the past seven months I only lost 3.  I hear you about the water yo-yo.  I have stopped getting excited about an up or down of two pounds.  The weight always goes back to status quo.  When I got injured I put on two pounds the first week, but I seem to have lost it again, despite doing a lot more emotional eating than usual.  (Ice cream makes the pain go away, for a while.)  When I was running hard it was really hard for me to cut back much.  I'm always hungry.  I think the answer is to bulk up - eat more fruit and vegetables rather than beer and ice cream, but I tend to say to myself, "I ran 10 miles today, I deserve a treat."  So the weight stays the same.  Or maybe more protein, since that helps keep you feeling full longer. 

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    857. Mar 24, 2012 12:53 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Race report:  I finished my first 10K!  I don't know why I was so nervous - my long runs for hte last month were all around 7 miles so I knew I could do the distance.  I think it was mostly adrenaline/excitement plus just not knowing the route.  I know my training route backwards andn forwards.  So I start off at the back of the pack - I'm trying to go slow.  I'm letting people pass me.  But I get to the first mile marker and I've just done my first ever 9 minute mile.  That is waaaaaay too fast!  I try to slow down but mile 2 is between 9-10 minutes.  I walk at the first water station around 2.5 miles and I am sucking wind so hard I almost can't drink.  But I keep going.  Somewhere in the third mile a family who lives on the race route had a water station set up.  The little boy looked to be about 3 is standing there holding out a dixie cup for me.  So cute!!!    I  missed the 3 mile marker and lost all track of splits after that.  I didn't use my gps and didn't listenn to mustic.  It was just me and my thoughts.  After running mile 3 so slowly I'm feeling much better by mile 4.  Once I hit mile 5 I'm in the home stretch and feeling good enough to pick it up a little.  I hit the chute at 1:05:29, but this is a very very fast group I'm running with.  I am 108 out of 117.  The last place runner came in arond 1:07!!

I must say this race came with a nice goody bag too:  hat, t shirt, gloves, water bottle, bag of coffee,  demi loaves of  bread from a local bakery, and coupons to 2 different running stores.  I need new shoes and now they will be 15% off.  YAY!

Linda:  I hope your half went as well as my 10K. 

Mary Kay - let me  know ifyou come across any good books on running nutrition.  I did just get an ad from Runners World for I think it's called the Runner's Diet or something.  I don't know anything about it, though.  I agree with Ginny - the more I run the hungrier I get but I really want this last 10 pounds to go away.  I'm so mad that I slacked off and gained them back and my summer shorts all feel a little snug.  I need to start being good soon.  Just not today - I've already had 2 slices of veggie pizza and a bag of M&M's (they were mint for goodness sake !) and I know I"m having bread with dinner tonight thanks to the Malden Rotary Road Race.

Happy Running all!!

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    858. Mar 24, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone

The half went great, we finished under 2:45, waiting official results.  It was a beautiful morning for a race, cool started out in the high 50's, tiny bit chilly at the start, was that soon was a memory.  The hills everyone was talking about were killers, they ran from mile 5 to around mile 10.  We walked up and ran down,some of them very steep.  It seemed with all the walking I was not as tired as I usually am.

It was my daughters first half, and I am honored that she wanted to run it me. 

So I have finished the toughest half in Texas!

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    859. Mar 26, 2012 6:52 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Wow!  Congrats to all of you who completed your half marathons!  Awesome! 

I purchased a GPS watch finally.  I found a deal online for a Schwinn GPS watch with a heart monitor for $69.99.  I read some reviews and it seemed that people were happy with the watch and that it worked.  Now, I'm trying to figure it all out and how to work it.  I tested it out last night by walking a short distance and figured it out somewhat and saved my data.  But, today when I went for my 3 mile run, I could not see in the dark how to save my data and I lost everything!  I did like that I set my laps and it beeped at me after each mile. The only thing is that the GPS miles didn't match up to what I have calculated around my neigbhorhood.  I double checked this morning the distance on the Active Route Trainer on Active.com and ALSO on Mapmyrun.com. The GPS had me going an extra .15 miles longer.  I'm a little discourage by this because this really won't give me an accurate pace or time for my mileage.  Are other GPS's off that much?  Now I'm wondering if I should just return it!  Any thoughts or help?

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    860. Mar 26, 2012 3:40 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Mike - what a great time considering your injury! That's fantastic that you powered through it.

MaryKay- Sorry wish I had the answer on weight loss. I am about 40 lbs above healthy. I've been tracking calories eaten every day on FitDay and (here's where it gets geeky) have a log of each day's total calories in a spreadsheet. Then I count calories burnt from running as well as any calories I burn from stationary bike (as a sort of incentive). I have a box where I tell it how many lbs I've lost so far (it says 1 right now for the math to work, but really it might be 0) and then it counts all my calories eaten and subtracts calories burned and tries to estimate what my basal metabolic rate might be. Point being I have averaged somewhere like 2,000 calories a day for the last month but have burnt about 6,000 calories through exercise. So obviously my BMR is less than 2,000. Also this whole thing proves that even when I'm tracking I still suffer significantly from willpower problems. So I don't know. Data so far though seems to prove I am perfectly ready to eat more to compensate for running more...

Deb- Way to go on your 10k! Incredibly fast. And love the home run water stand in the middle.

Linda- Fantastic job on your half. I think it's great you ran it with your daughter as well, that's so cool.

Kathy- Sorry I don't know the answer to that. I use a Garmin and it's been within .1 of my just hand plotting on mapmyrun. Though I don't consider mapmyrun to be that accurate. Maybe hang on to it for another run or two just to make sure it wasn't a one time thing?

Well I missed a whole week of running here due to work travel (was a lot of driving so even treadmill in hotel was not an option). Had a few dreams about running (guilt induced perhaps!) and felt bad even popping on here to see how you all were doing what with no running for me. Went out today for 4 miles just to give myself the confidence boost that I didn't lose a ton of fitness in one week and it went just fine. About as good as my last full week of running was going, so I can take that. Going to try to get back up to 17 miles for the week again this week which was where I was at before the week off. Travelling next week but no driving so just a matter of sucking it up and using the treadmill in the hotel if I don't feel comfortable going out around the neighborhood. Happy running everyone!

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• Aliciacs Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2011
    861. Mar 27, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to _Miles)

Hello everyone, I've been reading for some time, and decided to jump in, sorry if this first post is a little long, and please excuse my mistakes since English is not my native language.

I'm 32 years old, and started C25K in December. I've been about 7 kilos (15 pounds) overweight my whole life, and the main reason I started running was to lose those pounds. Well, that hasn't happened, but I still feel that starting to run was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I found C25K quite easy to follow, but after I finished I felt it was harder and harder to improve my running. It didn't help that the weather here in January and February was painfully hot. Still, I didn't give up.

I try to run 4 times a week, 3 to 5 kilometers each time, but I'm planning to increase the distance. I also do pilates, 2 or 3 times a week, I feel it's a great complement to running.

I signed up for my first 5K race, March 25th. It was race exclusive for women, and I knew it would be great for a first race because that race usually draws runners as well as joggers and even walkers, so it did't look intimidating at all.

The race itself was not easy, the day was a little too warm for my taste, and I had to walk a couple of times, though only for a few seconds. I sprinted when I saw the finish line (I don't know where I got the strength from!), and my time was 34:19. I wanted to do it in less than 35 minutes, so I was  happy.

I've already signed up for my next race (I can already see this racing thing becoming addictive), a 6K on April 15th. My goal is to do it in 40 minutes or less.

Well, that's it for my introduction, I hope to continue participating in this forum, you all are a great source of inspiration and motivation, and reading you makes this journey feel less lonely .

Alicia

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    862. Mar 27, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to kathruns)

Kathy - I've read several posts about people complaining that  the distance on their gps was longer than the official race distance.  One of the issues with gps recording vs. mapmyrun is that the online version may give the shortest route (i.e. inside the curves) while your actual run may be longer because you aren't always cutting across the corners and taking the shortest way.  With a difference of .15, I wouldn't worry about it.

Alicia - welcome to the forum.  I take it you're in the Southern Hemisphere?

Nov 4, 2011
    863. Mar 28, 2012 6:51 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

GinnyinPA escribió:

Alicia - welcome to the forum.  I take it you're in the Southern Hemisphere?

Thank you Ginny! And yes, I live in the Southern Hemisphere, where days are getting shorter and colder, brrr.

• sederleaf Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    864. Mar 28, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hi all,

I'm new to this thread.  I have completed C25K twice and am now working through Ease into 10K on my iPhone.  I signed up for my first 10K coming up in June.  That makes it official! 

I am running a little farther each week, which is a good thing, and I can really feel it (that might be a good or a bad thing.)  It may be time for a fresh pair of shoes.  My 35 minute yoga routine helps a lot with the creakiness.

Happy running everybody

Sally in MI

Started running August 2009

Big House Big Heart 5K 2009 – 37.42

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2010 – 37.45

Big House Big Heart 5K 2010 – 34.09

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2011 – 33.16

Dexter-AnnArbor 5K 2011 – 33.25

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2012 – 34.28

Big House Big Heart 5K 2012 – 33.30

Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K 2012 – 1:09:19

The Color Run 5K Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti 2012 – untimed

Mackinac Island 8 Mile Run 2012 – 1:34.52

A2 Turkey Trot 10K 2012 – 1:10:55

Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5K 2013 - 34:49

Race to Empower 5K 2013 33:16

Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon 2013

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    865. Mar 28, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to sederleaf)

Welcome Alicia and Sederleaf!  I just finished my first 10K and my advice is don't go out too fast!  (easier said than done).

Kathy - I use an app on my smartphone rather than a watch - but maybe I shouldn't.  Sometimes the gps is off by maybe .15 or so when compared with mapmyrun which I find negligible.  Except for last night when 1/4 mile into my run the Endomondo GPS Lady said "5 miles in 2:12; lap time 23 seconds"  HAHA  She had me finishing a 9 mile run at an average speed of 22.22 mph.  I'll be emailing customer service if this keeps up.    In reality I ran 3.6 miles at an average pace of 11:07. 

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    866. Mar 30, 2012 7:49 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Kathy, so glad to hear you were able to get gps! Enjoy it and yes, it is not perfect.

Deb, I find my Endo has gps problems now and then but it's better at keeping track than the C25k was. They all get flustered when you run under a concrete overpass or around tall buildings.  What I've noticed is that if the signal drops for long they start over or calculate all wrong. I've been running with both the HH HM training app and Endo on at the same time and Endo miles are longer and, as a result it measures speed higher and calories lower. The difference is small for short runs but for example Endo said 6.46 mi and HH 6.54, but cal were 795 vs.1047 and pace was 14:05 vs.13:44. The pace thing is what was most important to me and it bugs me not to know if I'm getting slower or faster. It's useful to keep track of how I'm doing physically. Usually my pace falls off right before I start getting allergies or other probls.

Welcome you guys who are just finishing C25k!! Keep letting us know how you are doing and your plans. I found this transition period very frustrating but am glad I pushed through it. Almost gave up though - twice. Look around at other threads, too, but don't get discouraged about your progress when you see someone posting about running 10 mi one week and then 12 mi the next. It's just as hard to go from 3 to 3.5 as it is to add 2 mi. when you are running longer and maybe harder.

So my HM extraining group email says they're running 12 mi at Lunken Airport this weekend. I did it last weekend. HA!! Little victories. gotta love em. I do regret still not having a running buddy, though. I have to read up on taper. Someone just scared me saying it should be 3 wks. I was planning 1 wk. Live and learn.

Hope you are all enjoying the beautiful weather we're having and getting out there, even if you're not running.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    867. Mar 30, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well, I am shipping back the GPS watch today!  I just found it extremely frustrating and too complex for me to use.  The reason I wanted it was to keep track of my pace and mileage.  Since the mileage is off, then it calculates me running at a much slower pace.  I just had trouble getting it to work right.   I just know it is a half mile around my neighborhood...I've driven and  mapped it, so I don't want to be frustrated with the wrong mileage. Maybe it just wasn't the best GPS watch to begin with since I got such a deal on it.  I'm able to return it for a full credit and no shipping to return.

Whenever I get a smartphone "someday", I'll just use an app from the phone.   I guess nothing is really perfect yet with these GPS's.

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• superbuffbob Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 21, 2011
    868. Mar 30, 2012 2:24 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well tomorrow is my first day as a 10k man... I completed the c25k this week and  have just seven weeks to get my ar53 in order to do my first 10k in London at the end of May.. I will be following the bridge to 10k programme on www.b210k.com and plan to be running tomorrow in about 8 or 9 hours or so..

Day one 5 mins warm up  followed by 4 x 10 min runs with a minutes walk inbetween and 5 mins "cool down" at the end..

Hey ho , wish me luck

Bob.

Almost 50 years young - was about 340lbs, now about 180 lbs and just started running for the first time in 28 years

Started the c25k dec 2011 and will move onto b210k once I have completed it

First 5k booked for 18th March 2012 - Malaga Spain

First 10k booked for May 27th 2012 - London UK

Super Buff Bob

Nov 4, 2011
    869. Mar 30, 2012 4:28 PM (in response to superbuffbob)

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

And good luck tomorrow Bob!

Tomorrow will also be my first day of b210k. I wasn't going to do it at firs, but since I finished c25k  I'm finding it really hard to increase my mileage. I know it's not supposed to be easy, but I really feel stuck. So I hope this program will help. I also hope it will keep me from trying to do too much too soon.

Have a great weekend everybody!

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...