Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3695 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 12:11 PM by kris0511
linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
Sep 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2012 11:50 AM

First Time Half Marathoner

I am 49, have been running for about 1-1/2 years, and will run my first half marathon in less than two weeks and need some advice.  I have been using a combination of the Hal Higdon and Runner's World Half Marathon Training plans.  Have built up to 30+ miles for last three weeks with longest run so far at 12 miles a couple of weeks ago.  Also have run a 10 mile training race  a week ago to get ready.  This past weekend, I bonked at 10 miles trying for a long run of 13 miles.  Now only have one long run weekend left before the race so am curious what you all think i should do this weekend.

Should i try the 13 miles again or back off to 10 miles and start rest up for the race a week later?

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    1. Apr 4, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to linuscatch)

I would stick with whatever your plan says for your taper.  One bonked run isn't anything to worry about, and this close to the race cramming in a few extra miles isn't really going to provide any benefit.  Just remember to take it easy starting out on race day and don't wear yourself out early.  Good luck!

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • monamoo Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 4, 2012
    2. Apr 4, 2012 2:01 PM (in response to linuscatch)

first thing make sure you feed yourself properly at least a week- before load up!!! Pace yourself, remember pace means nothing. You don't want  tire yourself out early. Don't change anything race day, meaning do not change what you eat, what you drink etc,etc. most of all have fun:)  Good luck!!!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Apr 4, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to linuscatch)

I would say revert to whatever makes you the most comfortable.  Confidence in training in the most important issue for race day, so listen to that internal voice and match it up with physical clues from your body.

Congrats and best of luck!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Apr 4, 2012 3:11 PM (in response to linuscatch)

You may have bonked on 13, but you ran 10.

HM is in two weeks. I'd drop the idea of trying to run 13. The mileage will have no affect on race day. Rest will.

Start cutting back, work on your pacing and get your cardio in top gear.

Enjoy the race

• middleagedrunner Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    6. Apr 8, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to linuscatch)

I agree- just roll with it at this point. If you can run 10, you can run 13 no problem and no need to over-do and possibly end up injured...

Good luck too! A half is a big accomplishment so congrats to you. :-)

http://www.middle-agedrunner.blogspot.com

• LadyBMac Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    8. Apr 11, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Good for you for finishing your LR!  For my first half marathon, I ran it before I finished my training plan and only got up to a 10 mi run.  I agree with a previous response in that if you can run 10, you can run 13.  I would make this week an easier week so that your legs aren't too tired for your race.  Stay well-hydrated and eat well the night before, not just carbs.  Just remember to pace for the HM and HAVE FUN!!!  Good luck and I hope it goes great!!

Brittany McElroy

• magwolff Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2010
    9. Apr 11, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Awesome! Definitely remember to start slow on race day. Better to speed up as you go along than slow down/bonk because you started too fast. Also make sure you are properly fueled - eat well in the days leading up to the race, eat a good, filling, healthy dinner the night before, and eat your usual breakfast the morning of, and take your usual fuel during the race. And also "hydration load" - start upping your water intake in the days leading up to the race. Sometimes the day before a race I'll walk around wtih a giant jug of water. Looks goofy but keeps me hydrated.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    10. Apr 11, 2012 9:58 AM (in response to linuscatch)

I always feel best when I follow my training plan but I would say to do whatever is going to give you the confidence to do the race.  Remember it is getting close to race day and you want to make sure you taper and give your body a little bit of a rest the week before the race.  If you know that your recover quickly than doing 13 will probably be fine.  If you need a few days after a long run to feel fully recovered you might want keep it a little shorter.  Most marathon training plans don't have you run the full distance before race day.  You'll have lots of adrenalin pumping that will keep you going for those extra few miles.  Good luck!

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    12. Apr 16, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Congrats on your first half. I would agree with everyone else on following your taper and proper nutrition. I will be running my first half in October, then another one in Dec. I would say just enjoy the environment, the accomplishment, and don't get discouraged.  Good Luck!!! Run Happy!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points