Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2548 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 5:38 AM by Swebb0310 RSS
bangsi Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2012 3:14 PM

Thought you guys could suggest/advice on my situation

Hey guys, im new to these forums.

I'm 26 y.o. im 6'1/187cm amd i weight 227lbs/103kg, was active sports person until recent injury, become a slob because all i could do was sit or lie down, now i have a bad stamina, but i want to run 1.5miles/2.4km in 14 minutes

How can i get started ?

what to do ?

besides treadmill, what else to do ?  leg exercises ?

what shoes to wear or get ?

So if anyone could suggestion or advice me with something or someway to start, that would be great and would really appreciate it. Of course im going to gradually increase the distance, but primary goal right now is to run 1.5 miles/2.4km in 14 minutes, Second goal would be to run 8 miles/12km in a proper way, good steady pace, with good breathing, not half way dying etc...

Thanx in Advance,

Bangsi

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    1. Apr 4, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to bangsi)

Good for you to want to get started.  Forget about a goal time until you get comfortable and have some fun with just ruuning for running sake.  There are a lot of "getting started" run/walk programs you can find on line that will have you up to running continuously in 30 days if you stay committed.  Don't know where you live but would suggest getting started outdoors instead of a treadmill and vary your routes to keep it interesting.  The less you think about running and the more you just do it, the sooner you will realizing your goals.

Good luck!

• VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    2. Apr 10, 2012 4:56 AM (in response to bangsi)

Are you interested in weight training at all? I think a well balanced exercise plan that doesn't just focus on running would be your best bet.

When I first took up running, I had been lifting and cross training with ellipticals, and I believe it helped me greatly to appreciate the sport of running (don't get me wrong, I did my fair share of huffing,puffing and swearing) but the more conditioned you can get your body, the easier you will adapt.

Try a workout week that lets you focus on run/walk 3x a week, followed by ab work. On alternating days

2-3x a week do some weight training. You don't want to just focus on legs, as a balanced body is a better body :) personally, I super set upper body and lower body through out my work out. Super set means alternating exercises between two each rep, ultimately completing a set each.

Good luck, your on the right path...just stick with it!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3. Apr 10, 2012 5:21 AM (in response to bangsi)

Gallaway's run walk training is the best for beginers. Get a hot personal trainer.

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    4. Apr 10, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to bangsi)

Galloway's training plan is amazing. I found his plan to run a half marathon on the run Disney site and it has great information. Even if your not wanting to run that long of a distance. The run/walk method really does help your overall pace get faster. It only requires 3 sessions a week.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/Princess12HALFbeg.pdf

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...