Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1304 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 8:55 AM by silentstrider RSS
silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
Jan 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2012 8:32 AM

Feet Fall Asleep on Long Runs

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else and what may be causing it?  It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's always at 5+ miles.  I doesn't hurt at all, more of an annoyance than anything.  I do have wide feet and where wide running shoes, currently Mizuno Wave Rider 14's.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• JeffVicario Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2012
    1. Mar 29, 2012 9:48 AM (in response to silentstrider)

Silentstrider –

Read this article from Runners World back in 2007.  Perhaps your shoes are laced incorrectly and thus cutting off blood flow to your feet during longer runs.  Let me know if that does the trick.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

jvicario@TrainingBible.com
    www.TrainingBible.com
    ___________________________________"

You bring the passion. We apply the science."

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Apr 1, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to silentstrider)

Hi Silentstrider,

Foot numbness is more common than most think.  It is possible that circulation issues or nerve compression problems exist, but most likely the problem can be addressed through adjusting your shoes and trying out compression socks, for example.  Try a pair of running shoes with a very wide toe box (totally mesh, flexible and open materials in the upper portion).  Some more popular models actually force the toes closer together into a V-shape and this eventually constricts blood flow to the entire foot. 

I am not familiar with the particular model running shoe that you desribe, but if there are any synthetic or vinyle overlaps along the upper, side portions or across the toe regions, I would say look at a different style to see if this makes a difference. 

Hope this helps and best wishes.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3. Apr 1, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to silentstrider)

I've had a similar problem - but numbness  started around 3 miles - and it was sporadic.  I could never really predict when my feet would go numb.  I changed the way I lace my shoes which reduced the frequency tremendously. I also tried compression socks for some calf issues (which could be related to the numbness) which has further reduced the incidents.  I've run a 10K and a 5K since with no numbness and only one incident during training in the last few weeks (I can't remember if I was wearing the compression socks on that run).  Fingers crossed the problem is gone, but when I go for new shoes I'm going to mention it to the running store and see what they think too.  Good luck!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Apr 3, 2012 10:31 PM (in response to silentstrider)

Helpful posts, but a few more things to mention:

Numbness in the foot is not always caused in the foot. The perception of numbness anywhere can be due to compression of a nerve far from where it eventually reaches, leaving your brain no clue as to where the problem really is. Problems in the lower spine and hip muscles that affect nerves enroute to the foot, should be ruled out when troubleshooting this, if the easy, early interventions do not work.

When the numbness is caused in the foot, it can be an early sign of a developing neuropathy, such as a neuroma or perineural fibrosis, which tends to become more evident as the miles pile on. You mentioned a size 14 shoe, so I would expect that foot to be attached to a rather large frame. Weight may also be a factor. As Jasko says, make sure that foot is not being stuffed into an under-width toe box. I know it is probably harder for you to find shoes that strike your fancy, while also satisfying the roominess requirements, but that point is essential. You are pounding a lot of bulk into that confined space, which needs to be expanded proactively before your foot starts to expand in the later miles. I hope you are sizing up at least one full size, if not more. The nerves between your metatarsals are going to need that space, or they will armor themselves into one of the intitially numb - but later painful -conditions mentioned above.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...