Skip navigation

3332 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:35 PM by SBALL11 RSS
Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2011 3:20 PM

Make up ofLLWS teams-------???

Every LLWS year I hear a TV announcer say about a given team--[Majors level]--."These kids have been playing together since they were five years old"------in making a point about about how well they play together and know each other.  Heard it in past years, and twice this year, including today.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't believe the above can happen-[at least not legally]- because of the LL rule that restricts (same) age players cannot  exceed eight(8) per roster.

Frank!

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Aug 12, 2011 3:19 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: Make up ofLLWS teams-------???

Frank, just a bunch of uninformed announcers trying, yet failing, to fill air time.  TM

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 15, 2011 5:27 AM (in response to Frank_B)

They're talking about the Travel Team they have all played together on since they were 8 or 9 !!!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Aug 15, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to Frank_B)

The first time I remember hearing this kind of stuff was several years ago when Warner Robins won.

A number of their players had played together for several years on the same Travel Team.

A "Whole Team" cannot enter LL as a team.

In fact, a Tournament Team was disqualified this year for that reason (Tulsa National, Oklahoma State Champs).

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Aug 19, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to Frank_B)

I'm pretty sure they're just referencing the fact that the kids have all played in the same league together since Tball.  I've known three teams thave have made it to the series, none were travel teams masquerading as a little league, although some of the kids did play on outside travel teams.  And, yes, in all the cases the kids had all grown up together and played ball together on various teams through Tball, Minors, and Majors over the years.  Doesn't mean they were somehow determined at age 5 to be future WS players and were put on some special team and trained in secret.  Just means they've all played together within the league, school, neighborhood that they grew up together in.

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Aug 19, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Well, my kids have all played in leagues that have managed to send teams to regionals or even the series.  While none of my boys were ever on any of those teams that made it, they would all say that they played ball with those kids since they were little.  I don't think they'd make the distinction that not all may have been on the exact same team every year.  They'd just say "Yeah, I grew up playing ball with those guys".

• Steve__225 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Aug 27, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Who's kidding who? You don't just throw a team together on June 15 and end up playing in Wpt. Every team down there is together in some form year 'round for 4 or 5 years leading up to their 12 year old season. 6 or 8 of them play on an AAU or travel team, maybe they go to the batting cage every week or two all winter, something........you cannot compete at that level if you don't do something extra.
  • TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    13. Sep 12, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Frank, I understand what your saying.  It's pretty easy, I read your post  LOL.   TM

• SBALL11 Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 6, 2008
    14. Apr 7, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to Frank_B)

Wouldn't the fact that the same LL All-Star team has played together for the past 5 years qualify the statements made?

No, the same group of kids do not play together as a team during the regular LL season. But once district games begin, the same group of players for each age group are likely to be chosen.

Thus...."these kids have been playing together for the past 5 years".

I wouldn't doubt that there are towns and/or districts that manage to skirt the rules in one form or another. But I don't believe that that is necessary in order for the announcers comments to be true.

PLAY BALL!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...