Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

831180 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 290 291 292 293 294 ... 297 Previous Next
  • mcrow24 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,365. Mar 21, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Just started up trying to run. Got started a while ago when I was about 25 pounds heavier and had to stop, just too much stress on the joints. So I'm started up again today and managed to finish a mile in 13:12, which is easily my PR and I feel like I could have even finished a little faster than that.

Good luck everyone, hope we can all reach our goals.

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    4,366. Mar 29, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hi All! Just back to give a quick report on the Arizona Distance Classic in Tucson/OroValley. I live in the flat desert of New Mexico and had been warned about this course having rolling hills. No joke!! They weren't big, huge hills but were pretty constant and some seemed to never end!! lol! Anyway, I got through about the first 6 miles feeling okay and then came to the last big hill before the turnaround. I don't know what happened, whether I just bonked or what, but I was working hard to make it up the hill...WALKING!!! For the next 2-3 miles I struggled with a walk/run interval where the walking started to get longer. By mile 9 I had pretty much given up on running only able to jog about 100 or so feet before the walking began. I found that in the next two miles whenever I tried to run one or another calf would start cramping. Not just a light cramp, but enough of one that I knew if I didn't walk I'd be face first into the pavement. Thankfully it never got to the point where the cramps were so bad I had to actually stop. Walked the last 2.1 miles completely...was passed by the the 2:45 and 3:00 pacers on the way. Saw the finish line and walked until I got about 100 yards from it, tried to run and BAM! more cramps. I ended up walking across the finish. I made it under 3 hours, which is my goal for any HM whether I'm hurting or not with a time of 2:59:31!!! lol!! My current PR is 2:37:16 so that's what...roughly 22:15 added on to my PR. Oh well, the major thing is that I finished and didn't end up as a DNF!! So I'll take it. I'm planning to go back in 2 years when they have their 10 anniversary and teach those hills a lesson! lol! Anyway, there was some decent bling and I was able to see my son and meet his fiance and go to the Biosphere. So it was still a good trip even with the poor showing. If you want more details I have a 3 part post in my blog (link in sig). But here's the bling:

DSC00058.JPG

I'm off to a double tomorrow...the UBS Bloodgusher HM in Midland, TX on Saturday and the Arbuckle to Ardmore (A2A) HM in Ardmore, OK on Sunday. Wish me luck...hopefully I'll survive both of them!!

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    4,367. Apr 1, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to SloMo2)

SloMo...

Check your private messages!

the conster

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    4,368. Apr 1, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to MouseRN)

Way To Go Mouse! Keep it up!

The Conster

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,369. Apr 4, 2012 7:24 PM (in response to MouseRN)

Good day/evening all - Been out of touch for a while - nothing exciting til this last sunday when I woke up and pretty much couldn't bend my right knee.  If it had been my left I wouldn't worry so much as its been an issue pretty much since I was 16...

Long story short...couple of weeks past tweeked it during karate workout or during weekend trail run not quite sure which.  nothing I hadn't done in the past.  actually had my best 6+k run for a while couple days later.  just had issues with lateral motion but straight/stairs were fine.  layed off twisty type stuff in karate (roundhouse kicks etc)  did 11+k run this past Saturday and lo and behold I could not walk down stairs sunday.   its gotten a little better as week has gone on...been alternating ice/heat in the evening and popping couple of motrin.  as this is new to me  (I've been pretty much injury free since i started waddling) any advice to how to best get thru this?  I have almost full range of motion and feel no other issues.  I have experience with torn ligaments in my other knee and am not too worry that this is anything more than strain/sprain.  Its frustrating as I had just PR'ed my opening race of 2012 and have been almost running vice waddling even pushing 10min miles on occasion. 

Anyway I hope this is temporary setback and that I will be back on the road shortly...

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

Feb 15, 2009
    4,370. Apr 7, 2012 6:08 PM (in response to Ogr44)

Ogr44, any bruising/swelling? Any specific point of tenderness? If not and you are sure about a significant improvement over the last couple of weeks I'd continue with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation...you hadn't mentioned if you have any compression/elevation going on). I might give it a week but not more than 2 and if there is not even more significant improvement I'd recommend you getting it checked out. Continue with the ibuprofen 800mg as well, as needed every 8 hours (be cautious of extended use if you have issues with ulcers or bleeding). I know you mentioned that you have had issues with ligamental injuries, but I'm still concerned that this might be a partial tear of the ACL and less likely the MCL. I would urge you to get it checked out sooner than later so that you don't start feeling better and start activities again only to aggravate or even worsen a tear if present. Just my 2 cents...

Feb 15, 2009
    4,371. Apr 7, 2012 6:32 PM (in response to Donna914)

Well, I've been busy. I've run a double (Sat/Sun halfs) last weekend at the Bloodgusher HM in Midland, TX on Saturday and the Arbuckles to Ardmore (A2A) HM in Ardmore, OK on Sunday. This weekend I ran the Wayland Wellness HM in Plainview, TX. None of these ended up in a PR...but the A2A did end up in my WR (Worst Record...lol!) at 3:00:56, but the improtant thing was that I finished. I was just too worn out from the run in Midland where temps were in the mid-80s by the time I finished at 11:30 or so (late start at 9am). That was just a miserable run...started out at about 65° with NO wind then steadily the temp went up into the 80s. By the time I was finished I was soaking wet from sweat and from having thrown water all over myself and using ice cold wet rags that they offered every few miles. Again I ended up with cramping, I'm guessing from all the sweating,  of the calves but not as severe as when I ran in AZ. I did end up walking the last 3 miles but I was fine with that. As long as I finished. The A2A had better weather, started off slightly overcast with a nice breeze. The start was fairly cold in the high 50s. The race started as a downhill for the first 8 miles or so and then the rolling hills started...something I didn't really expect. Again I ended up walking the last 3 miles, mostly due to the hills. Thankfully the temp maxed in the low 70s and the breeze was fairly constant, so no excessive sweating and no cramping. I managed to finish in 2:46:28. Finally I ran today...it was a little on the cool side in the high 50-low 60s at the start with a decent wind at maybe 15mph max. I stuck to a 5:1 minute interval at a slower pace than I wanted just because I was still tired from last weekend (wait until you read what I have coming up). Just after 8 miles we hit the turnaround and I found myself running headon into a 20+ mph wind. Since I didn't feel like I was moving when I ran I decided to walk instead...the wind was so stiff that I started to make arm motions like I was trying to swim through the wind! lol! I did manage to stick with intervals throughout the race but the running intervals did become shorter as I headed for the finish. I finished in around 2:47 or so (still waiting for them to post results). So that's 4 halves in 3 weeks (including the AZ race).

Next week on tap is the Southern Indiana Classic in Evansville, IN on Saturday and the GO! St Louis HM in St. Louis, MO on Sunday. The following Saturday is the New Mexico Centennial HM, the Saturday after that is the OKC Memorial HM in OKC, OK and then the following weekend is the Wisconsin HM in Kenosha, WI and the 1st Midwest Bank Southwest HM in Palos Heights, IL. All this is followed by another single and double...ugh.

The question of "Why?" is probably going through your head about now. Since I joined Half Fanatics, there is a level/ladder system and my goal is to get to the highest level by March which means 30 HMs in 30 different states in 365 days. I figure I'll have myself at the next to the top level by August and during Sept and Oct I'll begin work on joining Marathon Maniac (need 3 fulls in 90 days) before finishing up the last 7 HMs that I'll need to reach the top level of Half Fanatics. Yes, I am certifiable! Let's see if I can do it!! lol!

Happy running, run safe and listen to your bodies! (If only I could follow my own advice!)

• Croz69 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    4,372. Apr 9, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to Donna914)

I'm a new runner, finishing the C25K just last week. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't wade through all 292 pages! of the thread.

What is a 'slow runner?' I know that the definition is relative, but what would you consider a penguin?

And what pace would just be a 'runner?'

I know that earlier in the process, I ran about a 13:30 mile, and now I'm running about an 11:30 - 11:50 mile average. I know it's slow because the C25K seems to assume a new runner can finish the program at about a 10mm pace. (Run 30 minutes or 3 miles)

So what would everyone consider the dividing line between a penguin and a runner?

43 Years Old, 6' 2" tall.

255 pounds on January 1, 2012

220 pounds on April 7, 2012 (and still falling)

Started C25K February 7, 2012

Graduated April 6, 2012 with a 33:28 time

Tampa, Florida

• ILuvRugby Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    4,373. Apr 9, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to Croz69)

I'd like to know this as well. I have been running actively for almost a year. I am slower than anyone here and, frankly, don't even want to post the time from my 5k this weekend. However, I do know I am running better (maybe not a whole lot faster though) than I was a year ago.

My personal opinion is that you are a runner when you make the decision to do it regularly and ENJOY it. If it is work, then it is just exercise. I never in a million years thought I would like running  - I was always a sprinter and even hated running a 400! But now I love it, honestly love running. So, even though I am slower than molasses in January and I do not own every bit of runner apparatus available in the world, I still call  myself a runner.

Good job getting through the C25K!

• MoonlightCellist Amateur 39 posts since
    May 4, 2011
    4,374. Apr 9, 2012 5:40 PM (in response to ILuvRugby)

Croz - I started C25K last summer. I let my heart rate moniter set my speed which is pokey.  5k takes me 43 minutes!  I limit myself to 5k because I don't enjoy more than that. I believe that my speed (or lack thereof) has helped me to avoided injury.   Congrats on your C25K completion!

• Soulsong Pro 70 posts since
    Aug 19, 2007
    4,375. Apr 9, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to Croz69)

If you're running, you're a runner!  Some runners just happen to be near the tail end of the pack.  Or even way behind the pack.  It's more fun to be a Penguin than to just be a slow runner. 

I came in last place at my most recent Half Marathon, but I'm still a runner and proud of it!

First race: Iola Trail Run 5K - 4/17/11 43:18.62

Hope Starts Here 10K - 5/7/11 1:05:10

Madison Half Marathon - 5/29/11 2:16:46

Dirty Girl Wisconsin - 8/20/11 (untimed)

Haunted Hustle Half Marathon - 10/29/11 2:25:11

Half is Good Enough for Me - 3/24/12 2:21:38

Madison Marathon - 5/27/12

• Croz69 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    4,376. Apr 9, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to Soulsong)

Thanks for the encouragement. I asked my question wrong though.

I get that running makes me a runner. And I get there will always be runners slower than other runners.

I guess what I was asking is how do you define a slow runner or 'penguin?'

What's an average mile pace for someone running a 5k? 8 minutes? 9 minutes? If I said 'I'm a penguin. I run a 3 mile run at a 10mm pace.' would you agree with me or tell me that's not a penguin pace?

Just trying to understand the 'norms' of this new (to me) sport.

If you said to me, "I have a fast car. It does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds." I would agree with you.

If you said, "I have a fast car. It does 0 to 60 in 15 seconds." I would say that's a fast riding lawnmower.

43 Years Old, 6' 2" tall.

255 pounds on January 1, 2012

220 pounds on April 7, 2012 (and still falling)

Started C25K February 7, 2012

Graduated April 6, 2012 with a 33:28 time

Tampa, Florida

Feb 15, 2009
    4,377. Apr 9, 2012 8:28 PM (in response to Croz69)

Croz69 -

I would say it's all in your perception of things. We have some people on this board that run an 8 minute mile who consider themselves slow and others (like me) who run an 12+ minute mile. Like SoulSong said if you're at the back of the pack you might consider yourself a slow runner...but if you've just gotten off of the couch and just started with say a 16 m/m but now run a 13 m/m you might not consider yourself so slow anymore. You might judge it as well from the point of view of where you want to be as far as pace...say you're at a 10 m/m but want to be at an 8 m/m maybe you'd consider yourself slow. There's not textbook answer to the question...it's all in the perception of the person who's running (and the idiotic others who sometimes make rude comments).

May 24, 2008
    4,378. Apr 10, 2012 9:39 PM (in response to MouseRN)

Thanks for the advice - I am happy to report that while I had swelling (no visible bruising) etc it started going down and making improvements circa last tuesday.  I have almost full range of movement and even better - I have been actually been able to rotate the knee and start to twist it without pain.  as of tonight, its still a little stiff (especially when II've been sitting for a while ) but I was able to get out and walk for 1.5 hours this evening.  I never thought I would miss running but as I was unable to get out the past 10 days I realized just how much I have started to enjoy getting out and waddling.  discretion is better part of valor and I will not be participating in the 10K I am signed up for on saterday and will just walk the 1 mile fun run.  I will be targeting 4 mile race the following weekend assuming I continue to feel better. 

I have followed the R, I, and E of RICE.  My wife has also provided me with Reike treatments

Thanks again

Ogr44

May 24, 2008
    4,379. Apr 10, 2012 9:54 PM (in response to ILuvRugby)

Its a bold statement to claim as you do

ILuvRugby wrote:

I'd like to know this as well. I have been running actively for almost a year. I am slower than anyone here....

however as a self proclaimed fan of the greatest team sport known RUGBY you get a pass.  I am a mostly retired Loose Head Prop who still laces up the boots once or twice a year to play in old man matches...I am betting I can give you a run for your title depending on the distance...

I have also said - its better to be a penguin than a walrus

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...