Skip navigation

6427 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 6:31 AM by KevinDouglas RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • mpg3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Mar 30, 2012 12:15 PM (in response to KevinDouglas)
    Swimming headaches >:|

I am a triathete and physical therapist.  I have workeds with patients who have headaches and have experienced this swimming headache myself.  I suspect that head/neck position to be a major contributer.  If you are holding your forehead even slightly up the muscles at the base of your skull (sub-occipital muscles) can become tightened.  Blood vessels in this area can them become compressed and the reduced blood flow can often lead to a terrible headache that wraps up the skull from the back of the neck to the forehead.  Also, other muscle imbalances in the neck muscles (scalenes) can contribute to pressure on more blood vessles and nerves that can cause headahces as well.  Perhaps check out cervicogenic headhache for a bit more info, try to connect with a PT for some useful stretches/exercises for this area and work on that "tucked chin" head position.  Hope that helps.  Happy swimming!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...