Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731539 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 ... 327 Previous Next
  • PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,595. Apr 7, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Trying to keep up with Run4Coffee is getting tough!

I think I created a monster.

The sun is shining here today and it's warmed up to 65 degrees.

So today was a 16 miler at a sub 8 pace.  I used Cytomax for the first time ever.  It seemed to stay down pretty well at the slower pace. Glad I had it today, 65 degrees might seem cool to some, but here in the PNW it's warm . I run on a trail that is mainly paved for runners, walkers and cyclists. On the side of it is a dirt path and is usually for the horse traffic. I used as much of the dirt path I could today and I forgot how I love the feel of the dirt! I think I will incorporate some trail running into my regimen now that the weather is getting nicer.

Lots of people out today! Nice to see so many people enjoying the outdoors.

Say, any runners here ever done the RAGNAR RELAY?

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    2,596. Apr 7, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody-thanks for the well wishes.  I passed the test yesterday with flying colors and celebrated with a 7.5 mi long slow run today.  It had been a month since a longer run, so my muscles are feeling like I overdid it!  Hopefully I won't be paying for it all the next week. 

Everyone have a blessed Easter and enjoy your runs this next week.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,597. Apr 7, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

jmsab23,

the experts would say that dry needling is not a form of accupuncture, but it does involve needles.  i have had 3 treatments given by a physical therapist certified to perform this treatment.  they locate the "trigger point" in either a muscle or fascia that is not working correctly which causes a contraction followed by a relaxation of the affected area that allows blood to flow back into the problem spot.  i don't know how/why it works, but can assure you it does.

My right piriformis was very locked up but after one treatment i felt like a new person.  Have had 2 more sessions to work on ITB issues and some hamstring tightness.  Going back for one more this week before next sunday's HM.  I highly recommend it to anyone having muscular or fascial issues.  A lot of friends have also tried this and had similar results.

As for running, did 4 easy today before last long run of 10 tomorrow.  i love the return of the warm weather!

Brian

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,598. Apr 8, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hello all. Just wanted to wish everyone a happy Easter. I've been reading all your posts. MelodyLea I'm glad to see your back at. So happy for you. Terranss you continue to amaze. To everyone else you all continue to inspire me. Great group of people here. As for me I managed to run a 5 mile trail race yesterday. Ended up 71 out of 149. 4th in my age group. Missed 3rd by a minute 15 secs. I didn't want to push to hard. I believe I was 1st in the group running with a heart monitor on. lol. I kept this from  everyone as not to alarm anyone. Got the green from the doc so it was all good. Doc appt next month and see whats next. I'll keep reading so please keep posting. Keep running everyone.  Never give up... ever!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,599. Apr 8, 2012 11:04 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Another busy week but I've read every post. 

To all the injured and recently injured - go slow, and do only what you should - better a few days/weeks now than much longer time off down the road.  Good healing to you all.

Congrats to all who raced - nice work.  I love reading the race reports.

Monday was 1.2 miles on the TM to warm up for weight lifting (I still hate the mill), Tues 3.3 miles, Th 3.5 miles, this morning 5 miles. 

Bought myself some nice new shoes for spring - Brooks Glycerin 9 - luckily I had a coupon from my last race to bring them down to a reasonable price.  Nice and cushy on my creaky old bones. 

Happy Easter!  You are all blessings in my life.  Keep up the good work.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,600. Apr 8, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congrats to 6x on the division win! And to Debm on the wheels, dan on the recovery, bostonbound on the increasing miles!

My own recovery continues. I did about 6.5 miles yesterday. The trails I typically run are intertwined around a 275 acre complex of parks and open space, so it's hard to tell mileage when you're just running around. I don't own - nor am I in the market for - a Garmin, or smart phone, or any sort of GPS device. I carry a dumb phone because my wife worries and I adore my wife; but I really enjoy the feeling of heading out the door with just shoes, shorts, and shades. It was nice to listen to the animals yesterday, red wing blackbirds, blue herons, and cormorants calling their mates; frogs peeping.

Today I ran an easy three around a different lake. No critters; just a couple of dozen people. Well, Canada geese are critters, I suppose, but they're kind of like prairie dogs. More of a varmint than anything else.

I am lucky enough to be a 6 minute warmup jog from my house away from 500 acres of open space Makes motivation easier on those days I just DON'T want to get up.

Run free, all!

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    2,601. Apr 8, 2012 4:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Yesterday went for a 40mi bike ride on the new bike. It was a great feeling being able to keep up with seasoned riders because of all this running lol. Today wanted to try my longest run before the half the end of this month but, knew the bike ride might change my endurance. I dont know what happened but I had one of the best runs I've ever experienced. 13.0mi avg 10:00mm with a 10-15 mph wind. Maybe it was the chinese buffet last nite or the extra water I carried??? I dunno but it was awesome and I'm thankful for it. The 1/2 is now much more believable to me as I always like to run the distance before even tho the training doesn't require it. Now maintenance runs before April 28th and its all good. Keeping my fingers crossed for no goof ups before then, this seems to be the most difficult time for me before a race. I always freak the week before lol!!! The most important thing today tho was having family over for Easter dinner and knowing he has risen. It just doesn't get any better than that for me!!!

Congrats to all who just finished races and to all who are about to race!!

I wish all those with injury's a quick healthy recovery and, for those who have recovered and are back at it AWESOME!!!

Even tho I haven't posted much lately I do read your post's, and know that you are all truly my inspiration and keep me going. God Bless you all...

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,602. Apr 9, 2012 7:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Sun. 16 miles 2 hr 24 min. Ran Little Sugar Creek Greenway in Charlotte NC .Really nice place to run. Performance Coach I have run the Blue Ridge Relay and I recommend the relay experience. 49 miles for the week.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,603. Apr 9, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to NHLA)

Hey everyone!  Hope you all had a great Easter weekend!

Dobrobuck: Congratulations on a great ride, followed by a great run, too!  

OldPlodder: Great to hear you're up and running again.  Love those nature runs!

Debm2011: Congrats on the shoe purchase, and good run week!

6xchampsfan: Great job on your race!  Hope your training goes well for the big MegaTransect later this year!

linuscatch: I wish you the best on your recovery and your upcoming race.  I thought the same thing as jmsab23 re: the dryneedling; it does sound a lot like acupuncture... But, whatever it's called, I'm glad it's working for you, and that it's keeping you in running shape!  Best of luck!

runslowdan: Sounds like you're back--congratulations, and great run!

AlfNinerx: Sorry I missed you at the race, man!  Next time, maybe at Verdugo....?

I wish I had time to shout-out to everyone, but I'm running short of time here, and I have a race report!!!  Thank you all so much for your inspirational posts and messages--I couldn't ask for a better group of runners!

I ran the Inaugural Hollywood Half Marathon on Saturday, which started and (almost) ended at Universal Studios Hollywood!  Being an inaugural race, I came into it knowing there would be some issues here and there, but it's always a treat to be part of the legacy.  My biggest disappointment with the race was the course design--when I signed up for it 8 months ago, the course was going to be a loop that went through both Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd, the two main streets of Hollywood, and in the original design we were running down Cahuenga Blvd West, and coming back up Cahuenga East, which meant that we would never see the same road twice during our run.  Unfortunately, the race director was compelled by the city to revise the course last month, and it was turned into an out-and-back race.  I'm not really a fan of those personally, and it seemed like the timing of the decision was a little late in coming.  There were some other minor glitches to the whole event, but I think that these are all things that get refined over time as the race "matures", so to speak.

The race itself was a lot of fun--6100 runners + myself started off in the Universal City Walk shopping area, running through brick-paved streets and then shooting downhill towards Hollywood.  Thankfully we were sent in small enough waves to make the starting race crunch a little more bearable.  The downhill sections were fairly steep, and as we were booking it down to Hollywood Blvd. it was easy to tell who had done their hill training!   We dropped about 500 feet in 2 miles, with a couple of short rolling hill climbs mixed in.  I was running this race with a co-worker, who was running his first half.  He looked like a natural on the downhills, though, and he easily passed me after the first mile or so.  When the course finally flattened out I was able to catch up to him, and we stayed together until the turnaround at mile 7, where he started to fall back a bit.  When the course started climbing up again, I made up a lot of ground on some of the people who had pulled away from me earlier, thanks to all the trails I've been running.  I mentioned earlier that the race almost ended at Universal Studios, and this was both a good and bad thing.  The good part of it was we didn't have to climb all the way back up the hill, and instead we finished on a downhill section that allowed us to make one final charge at the end.  The bad part was that the finish line festival was back at Universal Studios, so we still had to walk back up to get there!  LOL 

Anyway, I finished in 1:38:15, right around a 7:30 pace.  I was 31st in my age group, and 199th out of 6094 total runners.  My co-worker did great, too--1:42:13, 288th overall.  All in all it was a fun race, and I'm looking foward to doing it again next year, and seeing what kind of improvements are made.

I hope everyone has a fantastic running week, and that the healthy stay healthy, and the injured get back to healthy!  Cheers, friends!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,604. Apr 9, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to Terranss)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Terranss Enormous congrats on your half, wow 7:30...nice! Sorry about the course change, that is a bummer.

OldPlodder Thanks! Feeling pretty good, actually. "...4 weeks after abdominal surgery" <~ That is AWESOME! Your following runs sound dreamy, my kind of running: out in the sweet open countryside.

Snerb Guayquilwriter NHLA countryrunner1 Bostonbound2013 and PerformanceCoach Nice work!

apeppel Thanks so much!

ozziemo Great stuff! We're here for you.

OshCat YAY! WHOOT! BRAVO!!

Julia66 Julia, I've been dealing with a tight psoas and piraformis muscle for years. I found a few great Yoga stretches that have really saved me. Send me a message and I can chat in length about it. Three years ago, my psoas was so tight that I found myself limping after just a mile. Your issue is overuse, but having that muscle tight is the source of all kinds of pain.

linuscatch Best of luck on that half marathon and thanks for the great advice for Julia.

Run4Coffee Sounds like that 16 miler went well!

jmsab23 Big, heart felt CONGRATULATIONS!! Yay!

AlfNinerX Great job ob your 10K!

runslowdan I'm really happy for on getting back to a nice long run!

6xchampsfan Thank you and great job on your race!

Dobrobuck Nice job on your strong run and good luck on the half!

I've had a few nice strong, but slow 5 mile runs. I'm trying to be concious of the (not completely healed) injury in my foot. I love my new Mizunoa and tried some gel insoles, then decided they feel better without any extra insole/arch support. Feeling like I'm close to being back on track!

Happ running everyone.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,605. Apr 9, 2012 6:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Took yesterday off from running (although I did work all day) after the HM Saturday, but got back at it today with 2 sets of weights/core exercises and a 3.5 mile run in 27:38. Legs were a little stiff yesterday and today, so took it easy at the start, but felt good enough to crank it up a little each 1/4 mile.

Melody... Have you seen the new insoles products? The store employees can check your feet for pressure points when you stand on the fancy machine, much like they have done for a few years now for shoes, and you can get the proper gel insoles to match your needs. Maybe just marketing, but I thought I'd throw that out there since you said you were trying insoles.

NHLA ... Checkes out Little Sugar Creek on Google Earth. Looks nice, as you say.

Dobrobuck.... Good to hear the run went so well. Wishing you luck with your half.

Terranss... Even with the route change, it sounds like a good course for you. Nice time!!!

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    2,606. Apr 9, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hey! I'm new to this thing but it sounds like you all are doing some really exciting things! Awesome! I have been back at running after having shoulder problems for the last many many years.... But they finally did surgery to fix it in November and I've been working my way back since January! The last 3-4 weeks I've been really focused on it and keeping track of the miles I've logged. Today was one of my best runs yet! It wasn't a training run (I've decided to work towards a half marathon and have 3 scheduled run days)

But it felt great and when I was done I realized I logged my best overall pace! 4.6 miles in 40:51, so my pace was 8'51" per mile! And I ran up a lot of the steep hills in miles 3-4!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,607. Apr 10, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I did my second one-mile run last night.  Pretty much the same as last Thursday, on the indoor track and I kept it slow.  I have an appointment with my chiro tonight so he can see how my back is tolerating the extra strain; so far I have not had any pain/discomfort so I'm hoping all is well.  The only pain I've had recently was when I sat down for too long when visiting my parents this weekend. 

I need to see if there are any non-concrete surfaces outdoors near my home that I can run, I think that would be a good thing to help reduce the amount of pounding my back endures. 

Keep up the good runs everyone!  I'm hoping I'll be back on a regular 3/week schedule soon!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,609. Apr 10, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.5 off road miles at a local ski hill yesterday.  39 degrees and very windy made me stay on the steep wooded trails.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...