Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1085 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 6:56 AM by nikita138
ljmrgn Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2012 7:19 PM

Hello, very new.  Haven't really even started yes:(

Hi, I am 47, female, two years out from a stem cell transplant, and on 4 high blood pressure medications.  AND HEAVIER THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN!  I would love to be able to do a 5K and that is my goal.  I have some side-effects from who knows what, that causes my chest to get so tight--very painfull.  Anyway, with that being said, I do walk two miles a day and honestly it is diffucult enough. Does anyone have any advce for me?  Can someone please help get me movitated.  It is starting to get alittle depressing:(  But, being cancer-free is a Great thing!!

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    1. Apr 2, 2012 4:00 AM (in response to ljmrgn)
    Hello, very new. Haven't really even started yes:(

ljmrgn

Welcome! You have come to the right place. This is a wonderfully supportive community, a great place to vent your frustrations as well as revel in your accomplishments. I started C25K over a year ago when my weight topped out at just under 300 pounds. You can do this. Here are a few thoughts from my experience:

Run does not mean sprint - you should be jogging very slowly, maybe just a fraction faster than your walk. You are just trying to get used to running, so speed is absolutely not important. You'll get faster later as your body adapts and you lose weight. When I started I joked I was being passed by snails and turtles (okay, not sure if it was really a joke...)

Do not worry if you cannot complete an individual work out. Ideally you would go through each workout day and in the few weeks you are ready for a 5k, but in reality that rarely happens, especially if you have been fairly sedentary. There will be times a workout will be too much for you and you will not be able to do all of the intervals or not for the comlete time. Do not worry. Do as much as you can, then repeat it the next exercise day, pushing the rest of your workouts back however many days/weeks needed. Next time it will be easier, and easier. Chances are you will be able to complete it the next time, but when I did it I had to do one workout three times before I was able to complete it. I have heard from others on Active of people who had to repeat entire weeks to get through. This is about patience, not about immediate gratification (although you will be amazed of how far you will have come in only a few weeks!).

The key is not to concentrate on the failure, because it is not a failure. The C25k is a process to get you from the couch to becoming active. It is only a failure if you stop the program.

Can you do it? Last year I was in your place, except heavier and I expect more out of shape. I started like you by just walking and I kept walking until I could walk briskly for over an hour, then I started C25K. The results? I completed a half marathon last October. Last month I walk/jogged with ultra marathoner Tony Managan in the Andes Mountains 33.5 kilometers as part of his "The World Jog." This morning I ran an easy 5 miles (just think of how you will feel when you can say that!). My goal this year is to complete my first marathon.

You can get there, just work the process.

Good luck, and good running.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• gettingstartedlori Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012

That was wonderful advice!!  I too am just starting out.

I have never ran before and never thought I could.  I have only been doing the couch potato routine for about a month.  I haven't been able to increase to the next increment as quickly as the schedule says to and I jog VERY slow.  My kids go with me and run circles around me 

I hope in a year I can say that I too ran an easy 5 miles.

Thanks

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    3. Apr 8, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to ljmrgn)

I'm not doing the couch to 5k but I started with manageable goals that fit me and my body.

First it was to walk 30 minutes per day. I use the Nike iPod plus app with the sensor in my shoe so it measures time, distance, pace, and calories burned. After about a week I set my second goal, which was distance, 3 miles however long that took. It was about 45 minutes then.

It's almost like the story if you give a mouse a cookie... Now I wanted to have a better time for my 3 miles. I started to run for small sections of my walk. At that time I was walking on a .6 mile track so I chose one corner to run. Then 2 sections. I built it very slowly.

I changed places that I walk and the new path was 4 miles. Now, I am focused on my pace. I was a very serious runner in high school and into college, but over time stopped. Then had a shoulder problem that kept me from really coming back for the last 8 years. I had surgery last November and now I feel great.

Keys to my advice:

1. Remember you are a rock star for even starting this!

2. Start slow, give your body a chance to adjust.

3. Set manageable goals, and find a way to track your progress. There are little things you can get to go on your shoe if you don't already have one.

4. Give yourself credit for even the tiniest improvement!

Hope this helps!!!!! Keep us posted.

• nikita138 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    4. Apr 9, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to ljmrgn)

hello ljmrgn,

Congratulations on completing your stem cell transplant and being cancer free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did c25k last year and am starting it again this year.  The thing that got me motivated were friends and posting my progress.  a friend started last year at the same time i did and we would nudge eachother along on the days we didnt feel like getting out there.  the c25k schedule itself was a great motivator for me, i kept it posted on my treadmill and checked off "completed" at the end of each week. good luck and keep us posted!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...