Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27332 Views 181 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim 1 2 3 ... 13 Previous Next
nikita138 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 9, 2012 9:24 AM

Starting in April!

Hi all!  I woke up this morning and decided its time to get myself back on the treadmill.  Im 45 and last year was my first attempt at running, i followed the c25k program and was amazed that i could actually run!  I didnt enter a 5k last year but i would love to this year!  W1D1 here i come   is anyone else starting this month???

• poeth Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    1. Apr 9, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Nikita138, glad to see you start an April C25K.  I'd love to join you along your journey.  Let me tell you a little about myself.  I am 29, currently weighting in at 250.  I was an athlete in high school playing baseball, basketball, and football, so I basically could eat all I wanted and never gain a pound.  Well when I graduated, I balloneed and have struggled ever since. Before I got married I weighted in at around 265 and told myself I wanted to be happy when I saw myself in my wedding pictures, so by doing the C25K for the first time and continuosly running afterwards (also watching what I ate) I had gotten my weight down to 190 by running.   I felt great and was active, I had my routine, but then I got married, went back to school for my MBA and my rountine quickly ended. Now after three wonderful years of marriage, I have been blessed with a baby on the way, due Oct 1st, and I told myself I do not want to be that lazy dad that sits around and watches TV all the time.  I want to have that energy I did when I finished my first C25K. I want to be healthy and live to an old age to see my child grow up. I want to be a good father.  These reasons are my motivation for finishing the C25K again and never going back to my unhealthy self again.

I am a firm believer in the buddy system, so I will post as often as I can and hopefully others will join us on our adventure.  My plan is to run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays with an occassional Sunday.  My running days should be pretty consistent since I have a treadmill, but I do usually prefer to run outside, so I can view the scenery.

I look forward to completing this journey with you!  Good Luck!

First Race ever: Run Kings Island 5k 129 of 455 overall 75/186 of males 28:19 total time

• Denali1005 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    2. Apr 9, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi everyone!

I too am starting in April, actually the 15th. I am 33, never ran a day in my life, and just released from the Dr. I am very excited to get started and I will be sure to check in!!

• ak812 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    3. Apr 9, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi everyone! I'm also planning on starting the C25K this month (tomorrow morning, actually!) Over the past couple of years I've begun and (rather quickly) abandoned various exercise attempts, which has led to me gain quite a bit of weight. I'm 22 and currently weigh about 200 lbs. I have a goal weight of 150, and would ideally love to accomplish this in 6 months.

I started the C25K right after graduating college but did it for only about 2 weeks before calling it quits. I honestly feel like one of the biggest blocks in sticking with this, or any other exercise program has been a lack of support. My boyfriend & I currently live together in a new city, but I don't have any friends or family here. He is not a big exerciser and we simply don't have the time or schedule coordination to be able to work out together. I hope that in joining this message board I can find people who are going through the same thing I am and find some support! Of course, I also hope to offer some support to others as well.

Good luck to all, and I'm excited to complete this journey with you all!

-Amanda

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    4. Apr 9, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Re: Starting in April!

Hi everyone-I've also started this month! I got one running workout in last week and just finished my first of this week.  I'm 40 years old, was active all through high school and college and beyond, but beginning in my mid 30s I started to slack off in the exercise department.  Add a now 4-year old daughter and a 1-year son to my full time job and other commitments, and time is the issue for me.  However, I've got to do it. I've always wanted to be a runner, but never had had the mental stamina to do it.  If you put a ball in front of me and tell me I have to beat you to that ball, I can run, but just to go out and run for the sake of running, I've never been able to master that.

Oh, and did I mention I've never felt so bad about my body image in my life? I've never had a non-pregnancy weight this high and I'm only 5'1" so it shows!

Looking forward to watching all of us progress together!

Message was edited by: Shelley Bendall

• kbouissey Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    5. Apr 9, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hey there everyone. My name is Karrie, I'm a 33yr old mother of 2 and I think I weigh around 200 lbs. I've always had issues with my weight. After years of wearing unflattering old clothes because I feel like I'm too fat to "deserve" nice clothes and not swimming on hot days because I don't even own shorts let alone a bathing suit I decided enough was enough. I downloaded a C25K podcast and did the first session this morning. It was not easy, but I have to keep telling myself that I can do it and it will totally be worth it in the end. I'm really looking forward to being in that club of people who are hooked on running! I think we could all use support and I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone and offering that support as well

• Denali1005 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    6. Apr 9, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to kbouissey)
    Starting in April!

Hi Karrie...looks like you and I are in similar boats. Same age, same weight, same horrible outlook on self and clothes. So, I am really looking forward to getting started and having people to run along on this journey with me

• itto Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    7. Apr 9, 2012 2:22 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi everyone, i'm also starting this month. just did my first session today. i'm 26 and around 200 lbs, but i need to be a lot less! i plan on doing my runs on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. i look forward to be going thruogh it with other people. good luck everyone!

Apr 9, 2012
    8. Apr 9, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to kbouissey)
    Starting in April!

Karrie -

I totally sympathize with you on the swimming issue ... I HATE dressing for the beach/swimming, or even a warm day. I'm totally ashamed of how my legs/lower body look and cringe at the thought of wearing shorts. Clothes shopping also sounds like simply torture to me. Something I'm hoping to get out of this program is a much better body image!

Congrats to you on doing the first workout! That's awesome. The hardest part, at least for me, is always getting started, so you've come through that already. Way to go! Let me know how the second one goes - do you think you will stick to the every other day schedule that the program recommends? I plan on starting tomorrow AM but want to get on a Mon, Wed, Fri schedule. I've done some step aerobics lately so think I may do that while watching the latest ep of Army Wives or something.

Again, congrats on getting started and good luck! Hope to succeed with you on this journey.

Apr 9, 2012
    9. Apr 9, 2012 8:48 PM (in response to itto)
    Starting in April!

Good luck to you too, itto! I'm going to try and stick to a Mon, Wed, Fri schedule as well. Do you have any plans for the off days, like strength training or anything?

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    10. Apr 9, 2012 9:14 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi everyone, I'm LaTasha and starting my first session tomorrow. I am 32 (in may) and am about a little under 200 pounds. I want to lose about 30 pounds and I will be doing Tues, Thurs, Saturdays and doing 30-40 mins on my elliptical the other days leaving Sunday as my rest day. I'm so happy to have found this group. Anyone else doing the same days, also I will be doing it from my treadmill of course.

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• poeth Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    11. Apr 10, 2012 7:06 AM (in response to Latashababygirl)
    Starting in April!

Glad to see we will have a large group doing this together.  I noticed a few of us are doing this for weight loss, and I wanted to let those know, the first three weeks will be deterring as far as weight loss goes.  When I first did this I know it was.  This is because at the beginning you are not really covering a lot of distance, even though you are exerting a lot of energy.  Basically 1 mile covered equates to roughly 100 calories burned for an average person, and it takes 3500 burned just to lose 1lb. I tracked my distance after my runs with the website mapmyrun.com and this gave me an idea of how many calories I burned.  In addition, since your body is not use to exercise, the food cravings begin.  Do whatever you can to curb that appetite. Watching what you eat will be your savor at the beginning.  I found an apple after a run did wonders to control those late night hungry pains.  It is very very tough though, I just love food.  After I completed the program before and was running 3 miles consistently my body got use to the exercise and the hungry went away, and thankfully the pounds started to drop.  Good Luck to all in your quest!

First Race ever: Run Kings Island 5k 129 of 455 overall 75/186 of males 28:19 total time

Apr 9, 2012
    12. Apr 10, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to poeth)
    Starting in April!

Hi poeth! Thanks for the info on doing C25K for weight loss. Losing weight is definitely one of my main goals at the moment, but I also want to get my body used to running in the hopes of running longer & longer distances/times. Do you have any tips as far as strategies for weight loss I can use, in addition to C25K? I hear you on the food front - I just love it, almost to the point where it feels like an addiction at some times.

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. Good luck getting back into program!

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    13. Apr 10, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to poeth)
    Starting in April!

Thank for the info Poeth, I was a little disappointed in only burning 176 calories on my first day today but I enjoyed day 1.

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• TrishFahey Pro 146 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    14. Apr 10, 2012 10:14 AM (in response to Latashababygirl)
    Starting in April!

Okay... a little history here...this would be my third time for C25K. Both times before I completed it and loved it. Ran a 5 k at the end of each training period. But then I stop and do NOTHING afterwards and let all my progress go to waste. I need some words of advice here....do I do it again with your lovely group....or do I figure it would just be a nine week experince yet again.  Totally confused by myself...any insight out there?

Trish the Dish

Started C25K on 4/12/2010 Graduated 6/20/2010

First 5k June 20th Fathers Day Prostate Cancer Run Finished 40:31

First 10k September 19th Omaha Corporate Cup Run Finished 89.06

5k Memorial Park Turkey Trot 11/24/11 Finished 38:54 :-)

1 2 3 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...