Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

462 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 2:19 AM by ydiez RSS
Tozz Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2012 6:12 AM

Training Question

I am training for a half marathon and this morning I had a 3 mile run scheduled.  Normaly this would be easy to knock out for me but this morning had a combination of realy cold head wind the made the run difficult and recovering from a small head cold.  I ran about 1.5 miles.  I have a 5 mile run scheduled for tomorrow.  My question is this.  Should I run later today when I get home from work? Should I run 1.5, 2 or 3 miles?  Or should I crosstrain or just take tonight off?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 12, 2012 2:19 AM (in response to Tozz)
    Training Question

I would mainly advice you not to worry too much. Just do what you feel like today, so if you are not feeling well probably the best is to rest. You can make up for it some other day of the week or just completely forget about it. The same goes for tomorrow's run, focus on feeling healthy and you will have plenty of oportunities to make up for any distance that you might have "lost" while not feeling ok.

Self discipline is important when following a training plan, but staying healthy is much more important, so don't overdo it.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points