Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

656 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 6:58 AM by Rich_Ives
Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2012 11:44 AM

Interfernce where the ball was deflected

I'm pretty sure we ended up getting this right last night, but I'm looking to make sure.

LL Juniors (90').  Bases loaded, 1 out.  BR hits a sharp grounder just to the right of the mound.  F1 jabs at the ball and sligtly deflects it (5 degrees or so).  F4 who was charging the ball veers a little to make the play.  R1, runs straight to 2nd and F4 has to pull up to avoid a collision with the runner (who never slowed or deviated from his path) causing F4 to miss the play on the ball.

Now, I was getting my rules mixed up a little while I was calling this play.  I initially didn't call anything because I was in deflection mode.  A runner HIT by a deflected ball is normally not out.  However, I believe that if F1 deflects the ball and another infielder has a play on it that the runner still has to avoid interfering with the fielder.

Thinking we may have kicked it, I got together with my partner and we ended up ruling interference.

So, a couple of quickies:

1.  Did we appropriately apply the rule here?  I think we did (obviously).

2.  If the runner had been HIT by the batted ball instead, would he have been out?  Again, I'm thinking he would in this case.

Thanks.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 10, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to Mark_in_SD)

Let's tear this apart.

F1 deflected the ball, and thus the defense had a chance to make a play.  HOWEVER, anything through the pitcher's box--even if touched--would be scored a hit if the batter reaches first base (and no other play was made on the ball.)  So I think we have to look elsewhere.

Sounds like R1 was NOT "direct back" of the fielder making a play (either F1 or F4). So that does not apply.

IMO, it seems that F4 had a bona fide chance to make a play and thus he is entitled to try.  Fielders are given the right to make a play--even a GREAT play!  I would have R1 out on the INT.

If R1 had been hit by a deflected ball, it's play on (if no other interference was the case.)  It's no longer a "batted ball" in the context of the rule.

JMO.

Mike CVUA

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Apr 11, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to Mark_in_SD)

If the batted ball is deflected and then hits a runner the runner is noi out - ever.

If the batted ball goes through or within reach of a fielder and strikes the runner immediately behind the fielder the runner is not out unless another fielder had a play on the ball.  If the batted ball goes through or within reach of a fielder and hits the runner 30 feet farther back - the runner is out.

Note the dirfference - deflected versus through or within reach. It's important.

A runner must avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball - period - always- even if the ball was deflected.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...