Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16668 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 8:14 PM by Natvgal RSS
beekrz Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Losing Weight

My goal is not to become a runner, or even to run three miles. My goal is to lose weight. Does this program allow you to do that, or do I need something more?

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    1. Apr 7, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

Weight loss is primarily a matter of what you eat, not what you do for exercise.  Or as the saying goes, weight loss happens in the kitchen, not on the track. 

A healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. One pound is about 3500 calories.  To do that, you need a calorie deficit of at least 500 calories a day. That can be done by cutting out some foods, switching to lower calorie alternatives and increasing your activity level so that you are burning more calories.  When you run or walk, you burn about 100 calories per mile - more if you are very overweight.  So it takes a while to lose weight solely with exercise.  Exercise will burn some calories and build some muscle, which takes more energy than fat to maintain, but if you really want to lose weight you need to look carefully at what you eat.  Limit eating out as most restaurant meals are much larger and contain more calories than what you would fix at home.  Learn about portion size.  Work on eating more healthy foods (fruit, vegetables, whole grains) and less unhealthy foods (sugar, white flour, etc.)  The closer a food resembles its natural form - the less processed it is - the better. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Apr 7, 2012 1:12 PM (in response to beekrz)
    Re: Losing Weight

Well, it depends on how many miles you're running. To a first approximation, running burns about 100 calories per mile (the exact amount will depend on body weight, incline, wind resistance, etc.). If your diet remains the same, you would need to run about 35 miles to lose one pound. Let's say (arbitrarily) you're running 3 miles four times a week - fairly typical for a beginner - then it would take you 3 weeks to lose ONE pound. So if you really want to lose weight, you need to cut calories as well.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Justanoldman Amateur 10 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    3. Apr 9, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

I lost about 25 pounds in 7 months last year but since then, my weight loss came to a screeching halt and is even up a bit, even though I have increased my running....So, it's kind of a mystery at times but running will make you feel better whether it results in weight loss or not.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4. Apr 11, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

You don't need to make a commitment to running to lose weight.  The commitment gets made to changing your diet and lifestyle.

A healthy diet and exercise is the way to lose weight.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Alkaletelady Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    5. Apr 11, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

I agree...its all about your consumption.  I was on Yoli's Better Body System (similar to paleo diet in many ways) and lost 25 lbs in 2 months with very little exercise. I know that seems a little fast for most people but I assure you it was all safe....its amazing how your body responds when you cut the refined sugar, decrease carbs, add extra protein, and eat five times a day.  I have a severe sweet tooth so this was difficult at first but Yoli has two whey protein shakes sweetened with stevia and they are heaven.  I make them with a little unsweetened almond milk and it does the trick.  Two a day keeps the cookies away!

Now that I'm a little lighter, I have taken up running again (used to do a lot of it my younger years) and I've fallen back in love.  It has been great to help me maintain my weight loss!

Best of luck to you in your adventure of cutting some pounds...if you are interested in the BBS you can check out at www.yoli.com or come to my website at www.fit2live.mybetterbodysystem.com.

• Andrew Fenton Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 19, 2011
    6. Apr 11, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

Yes, this program allows you to lose weight.  And yes, you need something more.  Weight loss is as simple as making sure that calories-in is less than calories-out.  This program helps you lose weight by increasing calories-out (compared with less or no activity otherwise).  If calories-in is still higher than calories-out, then you will gain weight.  So, you need something more in that you need to pay attention to both diet and exercise in equal measure.

-Andrew

• kellygreeneyes Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    7. Apr 11, 2012 8:20 AM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

I may have missed something from the original post, but I think you need to provide more information to really get your question answered. Are you referring to the Couch to 5k program and how much weight are you trying to lose? There are so many factors that go into losing weight it is difficult to say with any degree of certainty if you will lose the weight you want to lose with the above mentioned program. I would recommend consulting your physician about what will work for you based on your weight loss goals and lifestyle.

• justshavon Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Apr 11, 2012 10:29 AM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

To lose weight you will have to decrease your calories.  I have found that running alone - or any exercise for that matter does not cause noticeable weight loss.  In fact, in the beginning, I think my appetite increased. I lost some weight but only after tracking my eating patterns.

• JET61 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    9. Apr 11, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

Weight loss should be a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume, and on one level it is. If you add running without changing anything else in your daily activities, you will lose weight over time. The more you run, under these conditions, the more weight you will lose  It is a natural law. In practice, it is very difficult to be sure that you aren't compensating for your new caloric expenditure by increasing calorie intake or reducing other sources of calorie burn that you had before. You begin keeping a food log. If you have a smart phone, there are some nice, free apps for this, like "Lose It." These apps have built-in food databases, calorie targets for different rates of weight loss, goal tracking and reminders to help you keep your food log up to date. You can also use a pedometer to help track your voluntary, non-exercise activity. Or you can just start taking more stairs and parking farther out in the parking lot. Another complication is that we monitor weight loss by taking our total body weight, often only once a week. Total body weight fluctuates with gut fill and water retention, which are both affected by what and when you eat. This can make your body weight fluctuate several pounds from day to day. Weighing more frequently will help you keep these fluctuations in context  Muscle also holds more water and weighs more than fat. Gaining muscle can cause you to gain weight while you are losing fat. You can deal with this by tracking percent body fat or other measures like waist to hip ratio.

• Natvgal Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2012
    10. Apr 15, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to beekrz)
    Losing Weight

As most have said, in order to lose weight, expend more calories than calories consumed.  Accomplish weight loss by reducing calories and increasing activity.  I have lost 15 pounds over three years by using food data bases, joining Weight Watchers for several months and by increasing activity.  In addition to running, I have taken swimming lessons, enjoyed biking, worked out with weights and when I'm tired, I just walk for 30 minutes.  I am running half marathons now, but find a mix of activity and just getting out and doing something four days a week has resulted in weight loss.  Good Luck! 

Natvgal

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points