Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

300378 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Previous Next
  • pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Apr 3, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to Rennmaus)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Britta - Great to hear that PT and acupuncture are helping.  Just try to focus on the recovery.  It will be lot sooner than expected that you will be running races.

Mary and Debra - These just might be some bad runs.  We do get them once in awhile.  But if the pain is persistent, just take it easy.  My usual routine after my long run, stretching,  an ice bath, and I elevate my legs (propping my legs on the wall).  I may have chocolate milk or hot tea.  It does seem to reduce the soreness in my lower extremities.

Almost a month from our May 6 half marathons, just safe running to everyone.  May the running gods smile upon us and keep us away from injuries.

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    211. Apr 3, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, the shop should be smart enough to take the wheels off and show you how to properly put them back on when you get it all home again.  I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new bike.  Just remember there's always going to be more races and more trails to run.  Get better and then enjoy them all.

As for your own wheels, it sounds like you're making great progress and good form will be even more important when you get your distances up again.  EVERYONE should get at least some coaching or analysis on their running form.  Some running stores offer video analysis and personal trainers usually offer it as a cheap service too.  It's well worth the time.

Andy

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    212. Apr 3, 2012 7:57 PM (in response to pennymt)

Amen, Penny!  There have been a crazy lot of problems lately. My knee is too sore for running this week. My head knows this is likely temporary and I need to take it in stride but my feelings are already on overload. I worked an hour on a bike at the gym and feel guilty because my HR never got above 110.  Am starting to channel my anxiety into "how can I train better?" so, I am planning to get up early for runs for the next three weeks. What do you think? This is going to be super hard for me but what I noticed at Sat.'s race was I just wasn't awake, even though I warmed up and the HM is at 6:30. AM! Any thoughts?

Britta, I'm with Andy and would go farther and say the store should be offering to bring the bike to the store near you.

Run strong all and enjoy!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• ComeUpRoses Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 22, 2012
    213. Apr 4, 2012 12:33 AM (in response to NzAndy)

@NzAndy

I don't mean to take this too far off-topic, but how did you start cycling? I've just gotten into it, and been out for 2 rides so far, both of which have been less than ideal. I feel like I have no idea how long/far I should be able to ride for to get a decent workout. (first ride was 3.6ish miles, back from the place I bought it, second was just over 5.5 miles) I got terrible saddle-sore from my first ride, but I'm pretty sure that was because the seat wasn't adjusted properly. My legs ache like crazy during the rides, but afterwards they feel almost completely fine - there's also a lot of stop-starting, in that I'll be pushing up-hill intensely for a bit, and then rolling along without having to pedal for the next couple minutes (my area is incredibly hilly,) it feels like a very inconsistent workout. Should I be sitting and pedalling comfortably the entire time, or standing and pedalling hard?

Also, could you or anyone recommend any beginner programs (similar to C25K?) to help get me on my way?

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    214. Apr 4, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay~Sorry to read your knee is still sore.  You are doing all the right things to hasten healing, and are very wise to not push it this week.  Are you sure you want to shift all your training runs to the AM?   If you are training well later in the morning or afternoon you may want to stay with it.   Your HM is early , but the excitement and your training will carry you through!

Penny~Thanks for the reminder about elevating tired legs after those long runs!  It really helps.

Britta~Hope your run went well & was pain free!  Enjoy your new wheels.  Cycling kept me sane during my knee injury last summer!

Andy~You are so right about cross training keeping things fresh.  Your ride in the canyon sounded great!

Ran a rolling hill route through the botanical garden parkway for my 6 mile tempo run today.  It went well, and it was a huge confidence builder for me.  I haven't run the route since last summer when my weekly mileage was around 12.  What a difference the past 8 months of miles and training has made!  I'd like to run this route 2 more times before my HM, hopefully it will get me ready to tackle the climb up the bluff at 4.5 miles!

Run strong, friends!

Jun 8, 2011

Oh, Debra, thanks for the encouragement! I'd like to believe the excitement and training will carry me through - normally. It sounds right but I have no faith and I'm worried I might pull something early on just from being stiff and have to walk a lonnnggg way. Besides, I am a little anxious so I'm probably creating problems that don't really exist just to fill the space between now and then, as if the real problems weren't enough. May ride a stationary bike again tonight after mowing the lawn. Not only do I miss running, I miss the excuse it gave me to neglect my house. PT guy lectured me on demanding too much from my body too quickly so I said, "I guess a full marathon by November is out of the question?" He shook his head. I heard him, though, and may have to focus on running 5 - 10k faster and staying in shape until next year.

Penny, if I can run this weekend, I will prop the legs up. That actually sounds comfortable. Thank you all for the ice bath pointers. I feel totally prepared for the next one. and, actually, I would recommend them if they weren't such a shock. My muscles were all pain free until the following day. Also, Andy, I am really enjoying your bike advice and will probably get one this weekend, particularly if I can't run.

Enjoy your runs and if you're sidelined, heal fast.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jun 8, 2011
    216. Apr 5, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie, are you going to be able to run the Ault Park Switchback on 4/15? I think I registered for that but also for another 5k race 4/14 in KY, http://5kfootpursuitrun.com/  It was an accident.There was this new Meetup group forming and they are running 4/14 so I checked my schedule and said WTH. Because Sunday starts a new week, I didn't think to look there. Duh. I'd love to meet!! Even if you can't make it, I'll probably try to do the Ault Park race anyway just because it's a trail race.

Mary Kay

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011

Debra, Mary Kay, Penny & Andy,

things are improving here :-) I happily ran 2 miles today :-) That's an improvement :-) Running was fine, it did feel some discomfort but it was okay. But I feel like I have no endurance at all any more. Although I was able to run those two miles without a problem I felt like I never ran before. Breathing was okay-ish, but not as good as usual. I am happy though to have been able to run those two miles. :-) And most importantly - my running style improved. It seems that all those exercises I have to do for "homework" do help :-)

Regarding my bike - this almost turned into a drama. Store A told me that I could pick up at Store B, but when I called Store B they had no idea about me, my name or bike at all! So I kept calling the other store... and in the end I was so annoyed about their service that I ended up not buying there! On the internet I had found a store in a small town in the mountains (a town which I LOVE and often visit)... I called them and they were really nice, they will order that bike for me and I will drive up there, pick it up and will have a nice day there. So I will have to wait a little bit longer for my bike but my feeling about purchasing the bike is better! With the other store I felt so annoyed that I didn't want to invest that much money in their store. If I buy something that pricey I want to have a good feeling about it.

So, no biking for me this weekend, but I will go hiking and just enjoy the outdoors. I need to do something active :-)

Debra, your 6 mile tempo run sounds great!

Mary Kay, I hope your knee is healing! Take it easy!

Happy runs everybody and have a good start into the weekend!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    218. Apr 6, 2012 5:22 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Hey everyone!

Britta - Appreciate those 2 miles.  Keep up the good job on the PT and acupuncture.  They do seem to reduce the discomfort.  For what it's worth, your running form improved.  As for the bike purchase, good customer service really make the final sales.  Maybe the new store has additional after-sales service like discounts on cycling apparel or warranty on bikes parts and services or ask them if they can teach you  some basic maintenance tips on your new bike.  Have a great weekend hike.

Mary - please do take it easy this coming weeks.  We are almost 4 weeks until D-Day.  We will soon start tapering, be it 2 or 3 weeks.  Trust your training and hard work.  You put in the required mileage.  For your early morning HM, you might as well try to run in the early mornings a few times if your schedule permits.  This way, you can anticipate any glitches or problems with a 6:30 am gun start.  You might need a jolt of caffeine to wake things up.

Debra - amazing 6-mile tempo run through a botanical garden. 

This week my work schedule was a bit light, so took full advantage.  I was able to swim last Monday.  Tuesday, went for 3 miles.  Wednesday, did some resistance training.  Thursday, run a 5-miler.  Now preparing for a 3-mile run.  By Sunday, another long run of 12 miles, making small adjustments with energy gels and clif blok combination.  Btw, trying to get some beginner triathlon training schedules   online  and looking around for the next HM to sign up for.

Run safe and run fierce.

Jun 8, 2011
    219. Apr 10, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to pennymt)

Guess who was up this morning at 6:30 running? It's almost light out. Who knew? Who cared? I truly almost blew it off but am glad I didn't. I had no route or mileage or pace planned and it's a good thing because the Motoactv didn't work. It was reporting 21 and 22 min miles. I walk faster than that on a slow day. Guess I'll have to return it. Had PT yesterday afternoon and couldn't bend to put on my shoe afterwards. The pain woke me several times last night but this morning I had nothing until I started to flex and could easily put on my shoes. Ultrasound just might work to disperse inflamation. No one can explain what it does when I ask but it seems to make a big difference. Penny, at this point I have no choice; I have to trust my training but I don't feel free to stop running. My training will be useless if i lose conditioning and can't breathe. So, I'm going to run when the pain is tolerable until I see it getting worse, lay off, let it heal enough to start again. Or not. The knee is the boss of me now because I don't like thinking I might not run. Hope I'm not back here in a month saying I should have listened. 

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    220. Apr 10, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to mkayc)

Just looked into the color races and they sound like fun!! I want to do one. Anyone interested in Columbus, Indianapolis or Louisville? http://thecolorrun.com/

Mary Kay

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    221. Apr 10, 2012 9:52 PM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Mary Kay,

I hope your knee will heal soon! So sorry to hear you are in pain! BTW I really can recommend acupuncture in addition to PT. Feel better soon! But also, please be careful! I know how hard it is to lose endurance.... I keep my fingers crossed that your knee will heal quickly and that you will be painfree!

I am currently running 2 miles about 3x a week. It's a start ;-) I still feel like I have no endurance at all, my legs feel heavy while running and I am huffing and puffing (well, maybe it is not as bad as that but still not as easy going as it used to be). I hope my endurance will be back soon! PT is going very well, so far I had three different PTs and two of them were specialized in running, which is great! I am happy to be back at running and try to be patient with myself. I still feel pretty sore after each run, which is new to me ... over the weekend I did some hikes, was walking several miles at the beach, and did my 2 mile run, so I am getting back to being sporty ;-)

Take care!

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    222. Apr 11, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to ComeUpRoses)

Britta, great to hear that the running is improving and that you found a bike shop worth dealing with.  Keep to the moderate runs and you'll see some really fast gains.

Mary, I take it fairly easy for a week when I start having bad muscle pains.  Also, I agree that it takes a while to really build up to long distance running if you want to do it comfortably and allow your body time to adapt to the demands that come with those distances.  I have no doubt you'll be ready for your HM but I'd highly recommend staying in the 10k and HM range for a year before going really long.  The most successful distance runners do just that and take up to 18 months to build up to marathon distances.

As for bike training, when you're starting from typical recreational levels of a mile or 2 then don't expect to do 10 to 20 right away.  When it's hilly then yes, you will be doing serious intervals of working hard up hills and flying down the other sides.  Getting used to the seat will take a few rides but stay with it and it will get better.  For training plans, it will largely be dependent on what you're going to be dealing with.  Flatter areas will give you some nice long consistent rides while hills will make you do hard intervals until you get to where you can handle them.  The simple rule of thumb for all training programs is to stimulate yourself but don't go so far or hard that you break yourself down.  Even when I was training for 6 hour century rides I found that a moderate 30 minute ride around town was great training a few times a week. 

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    223. Apr 11, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy, I hear you and you are so right! After this race I am building my base.

Mary Kay

• j9blair2 Expert 40 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    224. Apr 11, 2012 8:58 PM (in response to edensacres)

Congrats to everyone who has decided to train for a half or full marathon.  I just signed up for my first half marathon in June!

I started running this time last year.  After being very sick for 3 weeks last summer, my running became sporadic until last month when I decided to do the C25K program again.  I quickly realized that I didn't need to start from scratch and found myself easily running 4 miles.  Last weekend, I decided to run for as long as I could just to see what I was capable of.  I went 7.5 miles, and only stopped because I didn't have anything to refuel.  I know I'm not really supposed to do that, but it inspired me to sign up for my first half marathon, and I promised myself from now on I'll stick to the Half Marathon training plan (haven't picked a specific plan yet, but I'll start with 3 miles as my base).

I'm nervous and excited.  Good luck to everyone!!

Jeanine

Started C25K: 4/28/11

Proud to Run 5k: 6/25/11 ~42:36

Chicago Women's Half Marathon: 6/24/12 ~2:49:59

Chicago Fleet Feet Super Sprint Triathlon: 8/24/12 ~1:11:28

Hot Chocolate 15k Chicago: 11/04/12 ~2:10:48

Commitment Day Chicago: 1/1/13 ~not timed

Soldier Field 10 Mile: 5/25/13 ~2:17:06

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...