Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1221 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 9:06 AM by run for life RSS
run for life Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 24, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2012 7:52 PM

Piriformis syndrome?

Hi

I have bee running for many years. Have done a few marathons bit mostly shorter races and for the exercise. Anyway I have had a pain in my butt that I think is Piriformis syndrome. I have had it for a few years but it only really bothered me when sitting for long times. I had had it on the other side a few years back and with PT it did go away, however this time it just kept lingering even with time off. So I just accepted it but started to increase mileage in February and it has become worse....I am planning to see doctor soon but wondering how have others dealt with this.. I am so afraid my days of long distance running may be over.

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Apr 12, 2012 9:43 PM (in response to run for life)
    Piriformis syndrome?

Don't hang up the shoes quite yet.  IMHO Piriformis Syndrome isn't even on the radar as a running career ender.  Yes - it can be frustrating - but tons of people get through it.

I found stretching and tennis ball massage helped the most.  Damien Howell who hangs here, though, is a big proponent that it can be made worse if the pain is coming from over-stretching.  In theory, since Piriformis is an external rotator and it's likely cauing problems because the other external rotators aren't doing their job, then strengthening the hips in general should alleviate some of the slack Piriformis has had to take on.

I'd recommend the tennis ball massage - and hopefully Damien will jump in and offer additional thoughts.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Apr 13, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to run for life)
    Piriformis syndrome?

Deep tissue will also help!

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    4. Apr 13, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to run for life)
    Piriformis syndrome?

Take a look at this short article Pain in the Buttocks.  Often buttock pain is more related to sitting than running.  Take a look at Should Piriformis Syndrome be Treated with Stretching Exercises?.  Not all pain should be stretched out.  Some pain occurs because the tissue is stretched out. 

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points