Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676851 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 ... 327 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,625. Apr 12, 2012 11:10 AM (in response to MelodyLea)
    My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea:  I actually subscribe to the Galloway run/walk/run philosophy in my training runs and races, few modifications depending on the course, etc. but overall, I have seen an overall improvement in my time, finishing strong and less recovery time.  At 52, although still intense and competitive towards work and running, I have noticed I have become more patient incorporating methods to recover smarter, and eating much healthier but going on rides on my harley bike definitely nourishes and uplifts my spirit as well.  Crazy Inclement weather lately has kept me from riding my bike during the week!  

A cold front has brought in rain, sleet, wind with some SNOW on the mountain peaks the last couple of days!!  COLD temps, about 30 - 40 degrees, daytime highs!! BBRRRRR!!   Ran almost 12 miles on a trail a couple of days ago in 55 degrees and sunny day!!  So I ended up resting 2 days due to work and very windy days. 

Planning on running on the treadmill later today (ugh!) instead of with the Thursdays all women running group due to the weather and I don't want to invite any more colds, sore throat, etc.... 

MIght run in a HM on the 21st in central AZ but I have registered for a HM on May 5th in NM.

Stay healthy, safe, and motivated everyone!!  GOOD LUCK to those who are racing this weekend!!

Trail runner

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,626. Apr 13, 2012 6:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.5 flat miles yesterday evening.  Ran a slower pace just to keep my legs loose for a 5k trail race on Sunday at one of the regional ski hills.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,627. Apr 13, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Another mile on the indoor track last night... then after walking a couple of laps I decided to throw in another quarter mile run 'just for fun'.  After that I did weights (leg machines).  The back's doing pretty good, I'm down to once weekly checks.  He said one more week at 1 mile and if all is well I'll be able to increase.  I'm beginning to set my sights on a September half, but not getting too wrapped up in that idea until I can actually get some distance under my feet again.

Good luck if you're racing this weekend!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2,628. Apr 13, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Happy Friday!

MelodyLea, my race is on May 6th. Can't believe it's coming up so quickly!  I'm glad you were able to get in a pain free 5 miles. Big thumbs up to that!

Ozziemo, I'm actually surprised that my training plan did not have any weekly runs over 8 miles.  I followed a novice plan last year that worked up to 10 mile runs just before the taper, but my plan this year (which is intermediate) never goes above 8 miles during the week. However, I did have pace runs this year and last year I did not.

Guayquilwriter, I bet you must have some incredibly scenic runs in Ecuador. Have you been teaching there long? Visiting South America is definitely on my bucket list!

Oshcat, Congrats on another pain free run! Fingers crossed for you.

Well, I was feeling a little lazy today w/ the rain and all. Considering the long run I have awaiting me tomorrow, I was tempted to blow off my little 5 mile run I had scheduled, but I'm glad I did not. As I was doing my strides at the bottom of my driveway, in the foggy distance I saw one of my running partners (who, for the most part, has had to take the last few weeks off from running to care for her ailing father) coming towards me. She managed to find a free moment to go for a run and thought she might be able to meet up w/ me along the route. It was nice to catch up and it was actually great running weather. I would be happy as a clam if the weather were like this for my marathon.

I hope you all have a great weekend and good luck to the racers!  Anyone running Boston?

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    2,629. Apr 13, 2012 4:06 PM (in response to countryrunner1)

countryrunner1

I have been teaching in Ecuador for six years now, and yeah, I have been able to enjoy some fantastic runs. I have done several in the Andes mountains - gorgeous but 12-15,000 feet make it feel like you are sucking air through a straw. I also have a run that takes me downtown in the morning. About sunrise I run into an area called La Rotonda - a large tourist complex commemorating an historical meeting between South American Liberators Simon Bolivar and Jose San Martin - and the sun splashing off the statues and marble columns and running beneath all of the trees is always inspiring.

Thursday I had a slow little recovery run of two miles. Today, Friday, we had our "grudge" soccer match between the Ecuadorian local teachers and the expatriot teachers on our school's staff. Lots of fun and we Expats won a resounding 7-1. I will probably be doing weekly soccer workouts and occasional games with the group - a nice change of pace crosstraining.

This weekend I'll be doing my first real distance stretch of the year - an eight miler.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    2,630. Apr 14, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I ran Thursday and Friday both on my usual course. It was a little disappointing because my Nike iPod thing had been off this whole time so both my distance and pace were off. :( but that aside both were solid runs. 3.7 miles, and I was able to run up the hills a lot better!

• KennethRayhon Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012
    2,631. Apr 14, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ok, I did my 1st half marathon last summer in 1:45:46 and was pretty happy.  I didn't do much training for it and running it I got a little bored.  So this year I am going to try something different.  I am currently training for a Tuff Mudder, Spartan Race, and a Hero Rush Race.  Here are some of the ways I am training to make sure I make the transition for road races to obstacle course races.  Check them out! http://kjrzeek1.hubpages.com/

• ozziemo Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    2,632. Apr 14, 2012 2:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

After the rain yesterday, this morning was crisp, clean, and gorgious! I took it slow and easy with a new-comer to our running group and we did about 5 miles. My back has been giving me trouble since my run on Wednesday and it was sore some more after today as well. The slow pace this morning hurt my knees a little, but I'm not too worried about that. I just hope the back soreness clears up quickly. Overall, great run in great weather.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to be a "runner"...

2012 - ran out of money for races lol

2012 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:14:47)

2012 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (25:07.3)

2011 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 5k (28:01.8)

2011 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:22:56)

2011 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (28:01)

2010 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 10k (1:00:32.5) - first race ever!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,633. Apr 14, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

ozziemo - Do, or do not. There is no try. Seriously-taking 3 minutes off your 5k time means you are a runner. 25:07 is a decent time.

Swebb - Good job on the hills. Them's good trainin'.

Guayquilwriter - I'm jealous. When I retire I want to teach in Mexico.

Oshcat, MelodyLea - Y'all are healing nicely!

Well, I realized last weekend that I wasn't quite going to make a half on the 21st. I just don't have the distance back. I did a 5 mile and a 4 mile run during the week, but my heart really wasn't in it. Plus my hammies are tight from gardening. With my endurance as high as it is, I can work longer than I should, and not feel it until the next day. Then I remember I'm 48!  

I ran about 8.5 miles today, on the trails, in about 90 minutes. A good, slow run. I'm getting my distance up. Next race: Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day! My wife and I registered today. That is a motivator - knowing in 6 weeks you'll be crossing the finish line in Folsom Field with your race face 6 feet high on the big screen... Now to find a 6 week training plan!

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,634. Apr 14, 2012 4:54 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

How do you convince yourself that you're going to run 17 miles today?  For me it's even the night of the long run it's difficult for me to sleep. Why?  I'm thinking about my entire run the night before.  What's my route going to be?  What's the weather going to be like?  What shoes should I wear?  How many GU's should I take with me? 

Thank goodness I turned on my MapMyRun program on my iPhone because I forgot to turn on my Garmin watch and did so only after mile 5.  Lucky I had a back up.  I posted this picture because I had that little voice inside my head at mile 16 today, but I didn't quit.

Ran 17.05 miles today in 2:05:28, that's a 7:21/mile pace.  When I got to mile 12 to go across the 520 highway the road was closed due to construction.  I asked the police officer who was diverting traffic how to get back to Kirkland.  He told me I had to go over Clyde Hill, which was another 7 miles.  He thought I was crazy when I turned around and ran toward Clyde Hill.  I wonder what he would have thought if he knew I already ran 12 miles.     NEVER QUIT

photo.JPG

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    2,635. Apr 14, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

Run4Coffee >Nice run!  When one is training for a marathon the mental preparedness is something you need train for as well.

Squashing those little voices is a huge part of it.  Way to go! When your mind starts to go "there" you need to find your mantra.

Mine is to think light, light feet. Silly but it keeps me going when the going is tough.

My run today turned into an 18 miler at a 7:35 pace. Since Roy is now faster then me, maybe I can beat him in mileage!

Thankful for a rest day tomorrow

Apparently my Garmin 405cx didn't like my run. It is now frozen!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,636. Apr 14, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

17 miles  2 hr. 22 min. Ran to flat rock and up and down glassy mt, Billy goat tough.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,637. Apr 15, 2012 3:48 AM (in response to Run4Coffee)

Run4Coffee I loved your post today. The picture is one I will keep. Thx. Great run you had. I have never been one to be able to brag of being first but I'm proud to say I've never quit. It is not in me. The voice I hear at those times is of my father who taught me early in life that I am always a winner to him if I give it my all and never give up. Because I know he still watches over me from a better place..I'll never give up.

I ran 5 miles on some trails very close to home today that I've never ran before. Hard to imagine because they are only 6mile from my home. There is a 10k here in August I'm going to run so wanted to get familar with them. My times are getting better on trail runs and are helping my times on my road runs faster too, still slow compared to alot of you runners here. I got to say I got the trail running bug though. I love it more every time I run one. Nice reading all your posts, like the one from Run4Coffee. They are very inspiring to say the least. Great running everyone.

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    2,638. Apr 15, 2012 4:40 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Bleh! Okay, 50+ guys shouldn't think they can get away with playing soccer against 20-somethings and get away with it. I went out on a planned 8 miler this morning but my right ankle started acting up and I ended up cutting it off at 4.5 miles. Time for RICE!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,639. Apr 15, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I think Spring is finally in the SF Bay Area!!! Had a great 2.5 miler yesterday. Ran from my neighborhood down to the Embarcadero and somehow wound up in front of Blue Bottle Coffee. How did that happen?   It was such a nice day, felt good to be alive. Ran at mid-pace, so was nice to get a teeny bit faster.

Today I'll run a 6 miles, looking forward to going 1 mile longer than last week.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...