Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1889642 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 689 690 691 692 693 ... 756 Previous Next
  • Jennarena Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,350. Apr 12, 2012 11:44 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone I am new to the site and to the program. I am going to be starting w1d1 tomorrow. I have recenltly lost 60lbs and I'm weighing in at 235 currently. I have always envied runners and wanted to be one. I woke up 3 days ago and decided what the heck am I waiting for just do it. So here I am.  I can't wait to get started and do this for myself. Nice to see such great support. Can't wait to get to know y'all.

Jenn

• rebrck Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011
    10,351. Apr 13, 2012 7:06 AM (in response to Jennarena)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome!  I have not been on in ages and I will be re-starting the program today!  I have been doing it off and on and I have never passed the 6 week mark. I have found that I prefer running faster then slower so I am restarting one week one and plan on picking up the speed.

good luck to you all!

rebrck

Current weight - 250 lbs - April 13th 2012

Goal weight - 140 lbs - Jan 1st 2013

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,352. Apr 13, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to rebrck)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome and welcome Back!!

I did W4D1 yesterday, it started out challenging but by the middle I was feeling so good. I still have more energy today than I did on Wednesday. I am so happy to keep going on this running program. I think between running and Bikram I will be able to finally get healthy. I guess I just stopped waiting until I was skinny enough to start living and am doing it now.

Thank you for all the tips, encouragement and inspirational stories it has really kept me going.

cool running

Kristi

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,353. Apr 15, 2012 6:38 AM (in response to runblissful)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ok, I am not sure if anyone is interested in this but I figure that many of you will hear of minimal shoes or barefoot running and wanted to share my experiences with the topic as a guy who is currently around 280.

I am coming off a cold and decided to do a vibram/barefoot run day instead of the 4.8 mile long run I had been hoping for this weekend since I was nearly delirious yesterday with fever and am just now feeling a bit like myself.

I went to DW field and discovered both gates were closed. I was excited, the right lane is used for cars and should be completely free of debris, I may have the ability to go barefoot without issue. I was wearing my KSO's with an Injini sock (after the blister I figured it wasn't a bad idea to try them) I started my run and did around 1 mile. I kept my head stationary, my shoulders back and my feet beneath me. I was not tiring at all. I did feel however a slight issue with my right foot. Some bone or another was a little sore. I decided to go and take off the injini socks and the kso's and go for a run barefoot and see what I thought. It was fun! I went about a quarter mile that way before I had to cross the road and come up to some yellow flowers that stuck to my feet with resin. After accumulating about a dozen per foot I got frustrated, jumped onto the low wall and put on the KSO's only and keep going back to the car. I didn't notice the sore foot issue anymore and I was able to make the 1.3 mile return trip to the car. So in total I got 2.6 miles at a 13:41 min/mi pace.

After looking at my feet I noticed scuff marks on them at the pads, which I believe is an indication that I was not yet light enough on my feet, that I was dragging them a bit. I think I will be a bit sore this time, but I felt great out there. I felt the best in the Vibrams without the socks.

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• caraincardiff Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    10,354. Apr 15, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I've been walk/running since November. I have to say more walking than running, and I jokingly call myself a "downhill runner." But, I have stayed with it at least 3 to 4 times a week. I prefer outdoor to the treadmill! I am slow, but I am doing it!

I can definitely tell I am stronger and in better shape, but I am still doing more walking than running. Now, how to make that shift to running? I want to make sure that I don't injure myself--especially my ankles, which have been a problem in the past.

By the way, I am 47, 5'9" and around 220.

Cara

• redsoxfan35 Amateur 19 posts since
    Nov 7, 2010
    10,355. Apr 15, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

Minimalist shoes are great if you weight less than 200 pounds, cause it will hurt your feet more than making it stronger. I will get myself a pair of minimalist shoes when I reached my goal of 185 lbs, I'm currently weight in 214 lbs.

• caraincardiff Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    10,356. Apr 15, 2012 12:37 PM (in response to redsoxfan35)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yes, I tried minimalist shoes at first, and ouch! I had to get some support, and now my feet don't hurt.

• redsoxfan35 Amateur 19 posts since
    Nov 7, 2010
    10,357. Apr 15, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to caraincardiff)
    200+ Pound Club!

I run in my Saucony Kinvara they feel minimalist but they have a lot of cushioning and I love it!!!

• shuffle2012 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    10,358. Apr 15, 2012 10:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi,  Newbie here, mom of 2.  Starting tomorrow on a walk/jog.  Doing this to lose weight.  I need to find a fun place to run.

• Hazzardous Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    10,359. Apr 16, 2012 1:57 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey All, I was a runner but I've put on a lot of weight. Last summer I was almost 200 and I had a horrible season of running. I tried start running again this spring but I got plantar fascities. I work at a gym and was told by a trainer that anyone over 200 should not be running because their body can't handle the impact of their weight. I'm glad to find this site and hear about you all running. I'm thinking maybe I should get out there and try to run again even though my foot is killing me!

Aug 4, 2011
    10,360. Apr 16, 2012 5:49 AM (in response to Hazzardous)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hazzardous wrote:

Hey All, I was a runner but I've put on a lot of weight. Last summer I was almost 200 and I had a horrible season of running. I tried start running again this spring but I got plantar fascities. I work at a gym and was told by a trainer that anyone over 200 should not be running because their body can't handle the impact of their weight. I'm glad to find this site and hear about you all running. I'm thinking maybe I should get out there and try to run again even though my foot is killing me!

There is a lot of disinformation out there. People love to have excuses why they can't. I started running at 312 pounds after walking for about 3 months. I lost 30 pounds in those three months. Then I joined a gym and started running. Today I weighed myself and am at 277. I am headed towards 191. It takes time. I started 01/01/11. My speed today was a 12:16 minute mile. I do about 2 5k's a month since I am in the boston area and there are about 5-10 to chose from each weekend. I run about 10-15 miles weekly and am on pace to complete 500 miles in 2012. I have a 10k in about a month.

Can you do this? I am doing it. You will start to really enjoy the looks on the faces of people who are "fit" that you beat in 5k races. My advice? Go and walk 3 miles. If you can do it, then start couch to 5k by loading it on your iphone or android. Track your progress on endomondo and add some friends to keep you going. Add me if you like =)

That being said, don't run hurt!

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Using Endomondo!

Aug 4, 2011
    10,364. Apr 16, 2012 7:51 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Sounds good, yea, I love data. I did notice another blister after yesterday and I already got rid of it and I am healing. This time toe next to big toe. Right in the middle. I think I may have put on my kso's wrong as I sat on the wall. I gotta say I was injured more with lower back pain and strange aches and creaks before I started running. Overall I am pretty sure I decreased the amount of pain. I think a lot of people are afraid. They have friends and neighbors, family and random co-worker alike all telling them "you can't."

You can.

This is the door to a new you. It sounds super cheesy, but I just got up this morning at 5am because I wanted....needed...to see the sun rise as I bounded down the road. Every single mile so far has been on pavement. I have logged nearly 350 miles all on the road. I am about halfway through my story. The "Holy crap, look what I did" story. But already my co-workers are amazed. I actually did a presentation to the group about running after the weight loss group kept seeing me shrink. I am going to post it here. I think there may be enough new people that they might like it.

Here are my tips:

I am not a doctor; these are just tips I found in my life, you may want to talk to your doctor before starting.

1. Get running shoes at a running store, they will evaluate you and fit you for shoes specific

to your needs. Many injuries come from ignoring this. Usually $100 or so.

2) New shoes! Great! Get a few pairs of anti-blister socks. I use Wright Socks

3) Use a couch to 5k app on a Smartphone to get from walking to running. 9-12 weeks.

4) Listen to your body, if you are in pain, stop, slow down or reduce speed/difficulty

5) Stitch in side? Breathe in on that side as you step. Slow down until it passes.

6) Oatmeal for race day food.

7) Can’t do couch to 5k? Start with walking. Walk 1 mile 3 times a week, then two when 1 mile is easy. When 2 are easy go to 3. When 3 is easy try couch to 5k again. This will strengthen your joints/muscles so you can run.

8) Never increase running distances by more than 10% each week. Math challenged? Multiply your current long day by 1.10.

9) Run long once a week, start with an every other day routine

10) 3 weeks = habit. FORCE yourself to do 3 weeks to get going.

11) It’s hardest at the beginning

12) Running in the morning is a great way to get the day started, watching a sun rise as you run down a lonely road is a very good way to live.

13) Weight lifting on off run days is a great way to keep your body improving

14) After running eat a recovery food like a bagel, a banana or chocolate milk

15) Do other exercises on off days like walking, swimming, biking or tennis.

16) Keep going. When you don’t want to go is when you MUST go. (Barring injury)

17) You must do this for a personal and important reason. “Doing a 5k” isn’t enough. You have to do it to see your child graduate or to be healthy or to finally take back your life.

18) Runners world is a great magazine

19) Enter races, lots of them, they are fun!

20) Nobody judges you at parks. If you feel self conscious, go to where other people exercise. You will likely get smiles and thumbs up.

21) Not quitting is a victory.

22) The weight will come off; expecting 10 pounds a week is silly. Try for 2, and don’t get discouraged if nothing at all comes off in a week.

23) www.runningintheusa.com and www.coolrunning.com have races in your area, most are about $25 and you get a t-shirt for signing up. All shapes and sizes run.

24) When starting at races start at the back on the side so others can get by you.

25) Dress like it’s 20 degrees warmer than it is to go running.

Apps: Couch to 5k, Endomondo, Loseit

Using Endomondo!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...