Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

297634 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Previous Next
  • Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Apr 11, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to NzAndy)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Andy,

thanks for the encouragement and also the bike ride info! Just yesterday I was wondering how many miles to start with ;-) Regarding running, my endurance still is so bad that I don't think I am tempted to overdo things at the moment ;-(  But I try to see it from the positive side - at least I am running again and there will come the day where I am back to where I was :-)

Jeanine, welcome to the group! Good luck for your first half marathon!  I just registered for my first one today too :-) It is the Big Sur Half Marathon (which takes place in Monterey though) in November. Still far away and enough time for me to regain my endurance and mileage.

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    226. Apr 12, 2012 1:47 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Jeanine - welcome to the group.  Congratulations on finishing the C25K program.  For HM training programs, check out Hal Higdon novice program or Jell Galloway's walk/run program.  I tried both of them and worked well for me.  Keep us updated.

Britta - please do not over exert yourself.  Remember you are still in the rehab/recovery phase.  I think you are barely a month out of your injury.  Avoid re-injuring yourself.  Big Sur HM is 7 months, that is a lot of time to build your endurance and speed.

Mary - how is you knee?  With just three weeks away from our HM, hope you are fully healed from the knee discomfort.  Did you enjoy your early morning run?  Good luck on your next 2 races this April.

Andy - thanks again for the cycling advice.  I read Tri-newbies sprint training program for beginners.  It is a 10-week schedule but I will extend to 15 weeks if need be.  Is it okay to train for another HM in late September or early December while training for the sprint triathlon?  I have no specific Tri events yet. Is this advisable or just wishful thinking or just inviting injuries to happen? 

I had an 11-mile long run this Easter morning.  I practiced my nutrition intake with clif bar, energy gel, bloks, Gatorade, and water.  I had a banana before my run.  No cramps, no stomach issues.  I consumed a half of the clif bar, 3 pcs of clif bloks, one whole packet of energy gel, a total of 32 ounces of Gatorade, and an 8-ounce water during my  run.  It was basically a flat course with gradual inclines.  No steep hills.  I iced my knees and propped my legs as soon as I got home.  Surprisingly, I had energy to spare to go grocery shopping and do some house chores.  Monday was rest day.  Tuesday, did a 3-mile run.  Wednesday was a 5-mile pace run.  This Sunday will be my last long run 12-miler and will start my 3-week taper thereafter.  So excited for my second HM on May 6.  After that, my new road bike is calling my name.  That's my gift to myself, well deserved.

Run safe and run fierce.

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    227. Apr 13, 2012 7:26 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Penny~Congratulations on your 11 mile run!  looks like you have your nutrition planned well& it is working great for you.  Best wishes going for 12 miles this weekend.

Andy~I've truly enjoyed reading all the biking info -- Thank you! Hopefully can get a 10 mile ride in today before the thunderstorms roll in.

Britta~Be assured your endurance will return.  Keep up with your strengthening excercises, and slowly build your mileage.  You will be stronger than ever!

MaryKay~Take it easy, and listen to the cues your body is giving you.  I understand this is not what you wanted to experience 3 weeks out from your HM.  Be gentle with yourself.

My right glute has been bothering me since last Sunday's long run.  It doesn't bother me during a run, but after running I just can't get comfortable.  Stretching does help, but sitting is very uncomfortable.  After some research on the internet, I am wondering if it may be Piriformis Syndrome.  I am impatiently waiting for a call back from the Runner's Clinic at sports medicine for an evaluation appointment.  Like Mary Kay, I'm wondering if the injury is due to hill training.  When I signed up for the HM, all I wanted to do was finish -- standing up!  As my training progressed well, I guess finishing with a good time kept entering my mind.  So I pushed a bit farther with my training than I should have.  In retrospect, I should not have abandoned the rest days between runs.  My mid-century bones and muscles need the recovery!   Going to dial training back the next 3 weeks.  I'm still contemplating whether running a very slow 13 mile distance this Sunday would be a wise thing to do. 

Take care to those of you who are healing from injuries, and best wishes to all who are training or running events this weekend!  Run strong, friends!

Jun 28, 2011

Penny, you are so right! :-) I will not over exert myself... honestly I feel like an elephant which is running and huffing and puffing :-) So far those two mile runs are rather on the tough side, I think the breathing is the hardest part.. at least last time my legs didn't feel so weak anymore and I overall felt better. And I am improving a bit - the last run was 8 seconds faster than the one before, haha ;-))) My pace right now is 11:10, that's okay-ish for me. I will be very patient and honestly at this point I am still so much out of shape that I don't think I could push myself to much more. 7 months hopefully is enough to build my endurance up again. I could have waited with registering for the HM, but I needed some kind of motivation and on top of that is was an early bird special. :-) congrats on your 11 mile run, that's amazing and I am truly happy for you! Good luck for those last weeks before your race!!

Debra, PT really seems to help a lot and I religiously do my exercises :-) So far I am building up my mileage very slowly, but this is okay. Like I said before, I am still struggling with the two miles - afterwards I am as sweaty and exhausted as I usually was after my really long runs. On the positive side though yesterday the hip discomfort while running was less than usual and my overall feeling during the run was better. Legs felt a bit stronger too. So there is some improvement and I know the key is to be patient with myself, to give myself all the time I need and to stay positive. Regarding your glute... as you know I never got my mileage as high as yours is and therefor have not the experience of such a long run, but just reading your post, I am thinking maybe try to give yourself a little bit of rest. You are already running 12 and 13 miles, so you know that you will be able to run the distance of the half marathon. Like I said I have no experience in that matter at all so far... good luck for your appointment and let us know what they recommend!  Good luck to you, too!

Britta

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    229. Apr 13, 2012 11:22 AM (in response to pennymt)

Wow, Penny, you really ingested all that during an 11 mile run?  With no issues?  You don't lend out your stomach, do you?  That's just what I need for my next marathon.

Len

Len

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Debra, hate to say it but your symptoms sound identical to mine, except mine seem more bothersome. Mine also bothers me in my sleep, particularly my knee. Think I have glut and calf muscle strain from hills in conjunction with knee inflamation from too much work all in the same general region, same leg, so it seemed like one injury but probably is two. Hope your's doesn't get worse. I've babied mine this week again and it gets better with PT. They would tell you it doesn't help that I'm still running but have cut back to one short run, one gym bike session, two PT sessions and one attempt at a long run per week. Don't know what I'll do this weekend though, the weather couldn't be better, 70, a slight wind and clear. It's killing me that I'm on this computer, not to mention how much sitting still hurts.

Think you might all enjoy this article. Laughed because I didn't want to cry. Seems so simple in words.

http://gawker.com/5900684/ lets-talk-about-pain?utm_campai gn=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Enjoy! Avoid the bad pain.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    231. Apr 13, 2012 12:44 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, be strong and patient. You will be running longer soon enough and you are working just as hard as we are. Ignore the mileage. It's easier now that I'm running 10+ mi. to tack on another mile than it was to go from 3 min. to 5 min. straight running when I was doing C25k and that makes sense. If you think of it in terms of percentage added, one more mile for me can be less than 10% and if you are running 2 miles, adding 10% is adding 0.2 mi. or about 1000 ft. I am so glad you are getting relief from your PT stretching. It's good to hear and will help your running big time. I always regret it when I stop.

Penny, I did some similar fueling during my 11 mi. run and was amazed at how I had very little muscle ache. Still had to deal with bones but I think the fueling might have helped. Caffeinne or no? I'm trying to hold off until later in the race.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jun 28, 2011
    232. Apr 15, 2012 12:17 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi everybody - just wanted to share my joy with you! Yesterday was the first time since my injury and since I started running again that I actually felt like a runner again!!!! :-))) I ran my usual 2.1 mile run and I noticed not only that the discomfort was slightly less (also during the day I was less in pain than usual esp. after sitting) but also that all of a sudden my running style felt better and smoother. And although I had to run against the wind for a big part of my run I was one minute faster than on my last run (or ever before on this post-injury 2 mile run)... I had a pace of 10min46sec... I was happy!! So I guess the endurance is finally coming back :-) And yes, I will be patient and not overdo things. This HM this year means a lot to me and is my big goal for 2012, so I really will be careful and reasonable... because I really, really want to run this HM ;-)

Mary Kay, I will remember the 10% rule! :-)

Happy and successful runs to everybody!

Britta

Jun 8, 2011
    233. Apr 15, 2012 6:57 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

So glad, Britta!  It's the greatest feeling!!  All that struggle and persistence is paying off. Thanks for sharing.

Had two pretty miserable runs but at least I was running. Yesterday was a 5k race and I ran it mostly because it was small and I had a good chance to medal. I won my age group and gathered nice bling but maybe only because I was the only one. The run was a huge struggle for breathing but time was 41 min and course was 3.24. I have already lost conditioning or am having allergy problems. Knee hurt but not as bad as it used to so planned to try running at the airport again to go long and avoid hills but it was windy. So, that messed with the GPS which meant no music or tracking and pollen was flying into my mouth sticking in my throat and my eyes would not stop itching and watering. At one point I couldn't see. Run became a walk/run and lasted 5 mi. Pace was a roaring 16.52. Now I have to go long either Tues or Thurs (work days) because it is bugging me that my knee is healing and I have 14 days left to really train.

Mary Kay

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011

Britta - amazing news! You are definitely a runner with or without injury.  I guess patience is the key for your successful recovery.  Stay positive your endurance will return and you will be runny your  5k and 10k races soon.

Mary Kay - how are you feeling?  I understand your situation being so near the race and having this discomfort.  Be compliant with your PT sessions.  Maybe you can try hot / cold packs for the painful areas. 

Debra - I'm with you, our mid century bones really need recovery days.  I take 2 rest days per week if possible. I alternate swimming, resistance training, and cycling for cross training.

Len - was my fueling way too much?  I tried GU chomps and energy gel with water and Powerade in the past long run for my first HM.  With that combination, I felt bloated.  It felt like fluids were just sloshing inside my stomach. I just wanted to burp the whole time.  The gel's consistency was too thick and difficult to swallow.  That's why I switched to clif bars, bloks, and gel.  I just prefer the idea that I was eating a brownie or cookie with the different flavors of the clif bars.  May be we could trade, I will exchange my stomach for your running legs. 

Got to do my 12-miler.  Had a banana before the run.  I experimented with my fueling.  I cut it down to one whole packet of the clif bloks.  Fluids were an 8-ounce water and  24-ounce Gatorade.  It worked well during the run but was way too tired to do anything else after the run.  Just propped my legs and did nothing else. No laundry, no chores. 

Run safe and run fierce.

• TheYoliBetterBodySystem Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    235. Apr 15, 2012 10:32 PM (in response to edensacres)

Looking forward to my first 5K at the end of the month.  Any suggestions for first timers would be great. I had been training with running and weight training.  To help with my recovery and limit my soreness the next day I have been limiting my sugar, hydrating well and taking  Alkalete - I have felt great!  Very little soreness if any since taking the Alkalete and I am looking forward to getting the first 5K under my belt here soon.  Does anyone have any race day tips for first timers that worked for them?  Best of luck to everyone!

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    236. Apr 16, 2012 8:15 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mary, with 2 weeks to go the only thing you can work on now is some aerobic conditioning.  All your endurance work is done so don't worry about trying to go long.  My HM is Sunday and I haven't gone over 5 miles recently for any of my runs.  It's far more important that your knee heals up but by all means don't feel like you need to do long runs over 7 or 8 miles this close to the event.  I'm also trying to get over some allergy issues and it's felt like I was running with a cold that destroyed my aerobic capacity.  I'm improving now that we've had some rain to settle everything but come Sunday I'm just going to do the run and enjoy it no matter how I end up doing, but that's how I handle every race. 

Britta, as determined as you are that HM is in the bag already.  I have no doubt you'll be ready by the time it starts.

Penny, if you can already run a HM then a sprint tri will be easy.  Ignore the run training in the schedule and just do some maintenance runs to keep your endurance while you practice your swim and bike.  A 12 mile run will wear you down, I'm not usually very energetic for the rest of the day either after one of those. 

Every time I do a new course it's kind of like my first race.  My first race was a 62 mile bike ride (100 km or a metric century) and it took me 5.5 hours but the experience was great and I've never stopped doing events since then.  For a 5k just relax and enjoy the race, at least you're starting off with something a little more manageable!  Let us know how it goes.

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    237. Apr 16, 2012 11:26 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Penny, my knee feels better, thank you! I stopped using my new shoes after someone suggested they might be aggravating it and I've been icing and stretching according to PT. Also had four sessions of PT in the last two weeks with ultrasound treatments, which I think made a lot of difference. God bless health care. I may not be the best example but when I run past 6 miles, I am wiped for the day so being tired after 12 seems normal. 

Andy, thanks so much for the perspective!!. I've only been trying to go long to ease my anxiety; I can run intervals inside on the treadmill or short hill climbs.

YoliBetterBodySystem joined 4/15/12 and has only this one post. I'm betting spam but would love to hear if I'm wrong.  

Mary Kay

• TheYoliBetterBodySystem Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    238. Apr 18, 2012 9:23 PM (in response to mkayc)

No spam - real runner getting ready for an upcoming 5K run.  Great to be a part of the active community.  Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

Jun 8, 2011

Welcome, then Yoli!

Ran last in the 10k tonight for the last three miles. I didn't even think about it until two sweet young women on their return cheered me on. It was the wonderfully pitiful way some folks go overboard that clued me in. I thought, "I must be last!" I got started late (wrong coral) and am trying to control race anxiety so I just embraced it. At each water stop I'd say, "I'm last. Your done." Closest folks were a couple about an inch high and far ahead. They were doing a lot of walking and would run now and then. After the turn around, I started running intervals but wasn't timing them; I was counting breaths. I caught up to the couple by mile 4 and ran past them as they stopped for water. As soon as I started my walk, they ran ahead and ever after they would start running a little bit before me and keep running just a little after me. I don't know how they did it but they managed to stay about three feet ahead pf me the rest of the race. I congratulated them afterward and the lady high fived me. The man couldn't stand up to breathe so I just patted him on the back and said, "I would have let you finish first if you slowed." I didn't say, "because my time will still be faster than yours." Oh, it felt great! to get through the race just being motivated to catch up with them and not become fussed by their need to be ahead. Big improvement over last year!

So I have a dilemma. This would have been a PR. My last 10k was 90 min. This was 70 min. but my Endomondo says the course was only 5.4 mi. When I multiply the average speed times 6.2, I get 80 min. What would you do?

Mary Kay

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...