Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3221 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2006 5:18 PM by Smallroom RSS
Biochemísta Rookie 85 posts since
May 22, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2006 12:51 PM

nuts and fat

I love nuts of any kind, peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc!!

I know almonds contain healthy fat but what other nuts do as well? Are some loaded with saturated fats?

www.Biochemista.com

• speedyfeet Amateur 107 posts since
    Mar 20, 2004
    1. Jun 24, 2006 12:56 PM (in response to Biochemísta)
    Re: nuts and fat

quote:

Originally posted by have2run:

I love nuts of any kind, peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc!!

I know almonds contain healthy fat but what other nuts do as well? Are some loaded with saturated fats?

All nuts have healthy fats.  Just be careful with overdoing it because it still is fat after all, and they thus pack a lot of energy in a tiny little package!  But in a balanced diet, nuts are an excellent healthy addition.  Enjoy!

• Quinny087 Rookie 26 posts since
    Aug 7, 2002
    2. Jun 25, 2006 8:03 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

Yep, nuts = good healthy fats.

But, a nutrition student once told me that Macademia nuts are the one exception. Apparently the fat in that particular nut only is not as good for you.

My knowledge is heresay only, so if someone knows the science, feel free to share!

• yelloboy Rookie 25 posts since
    Sep 13, 2005
    3. Jun 25, 2006 9:28 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

macadamia nuts are infact one of the healthier nuts around - typically about 85% of the fat in them is of the unsaturated variety.

• InsideRunner Rookie 28 posts since
    Mar 7, 2002
    4. Jun 25, 2006 11:20 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

quote:

Originally posted by yelloboy:

macadamia nuts are infact one of the healthier nuts around - typically about 85% of the fat in them is of the unsaturated variety.

How are you defining "healthier nuts"? Macadamia nuts contain the highest percentage of saturated fat of all nuts. I'm not saying that they can't be part of a healthy diet, but I am curious about what makes them more healthy than other nuts.

Walnuts are considered the best of all nuts.  They have the lowest percentages of bad fats, and they are the only nuts that contain omega-3 fatty acids.  Unfortunately, they are one of the worst tasting raw nuts in my opinion.

• TrailOBite Rookie 358 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    6. Jun 26, 2006 9:37 AM (in response to Biochemísta)

I am what I eat.......NUTS!

• binoko Rookie 43 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jun 27, 2006 7:26 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

quote:

Originally posted by InsideRunner:

Walnuts are considered the best of all nuts. They have the lowest percentages of bad fats, and they are the only nuts that contain omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, they are one of the worst tasting raw nuts in my opinion.

maybe you're eating walnuts that are rancid.  The turn bad pretty fast unless you keep them in the fridge.

• AdventureGirl63 Rookie 60 posts since
    Jun 15, 2006
    8. Jun 28, 2006 12:53 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

Not only do all nuts contain the good fat, many of them also o offer some kind of  extra nutrient .....like walnuts are high in alpha linolenic acid and folate and brazil nuts have tons of selenium, almonds are a good source of calcium....not to mention how they are a good source of non-meat protein.
    They are great, but like anything else (or maybe even more), it is very important to watch your portion size and daily intake. But having an appropriate serving of nuts every day for one of your snacks is an excellent idea.

• Quinny087 Rookie 26 posts since
    Aug 7, 2002
    9. Jun 28, 2006 2:13 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

Yesterday I ate so many honey-roasted cashews that I had a stomach ache for 4 hours.  Those things are like crack!

So yes, portion control is necessary if you're a little nutty like me.

• Smallroom Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 4, 2005
    10. Jul 2, 2006 5:18 PM (in response to Biochemísta)

I keep a mix of unsalted nuts and dried fruit at work to munch on.I can't keep them at home,because I always eventually get drunk and eat them all in one night..lol.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...