Skip navigation

2633 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 12:12 PM by vals27 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2012 5:54 AM

Crossroads of Northwest Indiana Marathon and Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Crossroads of Northwest Indiana Marathon and Half Marathon below Back to event details page.

• Briqette Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007

Very well put on race - COOL finishers medals - just signed again before the Feb. 1st price increase.  Love the hills too!!

• stacy.timm Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Misleading course. The last 5 miles there were a lot of hills. The description made it sound like you were going to be running through a park. Very disappointed. Town people didn't seem very welcoming.

• lakefront_runner Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2008

Small race, small town atmosphere. Rolling hills, pretty scenic course, but lots of subdivisions too. Could have used more water/gatorade in a few spots. And more people to point you in the right direction where it was not so clearly marked. Traffic on the roads was not fun though. 1 car came close to hitting me.  Otherwise it was a nice little marathon.

• JYII Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012

Definitely not flat - lots of hills, strong winds and playing with the cars definetly added excitment.  While challenging enjoyed it.

• JennyC072 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008

Loved the rural setting.  Volunteers were ultra friendly!  Was not comfortable running through town where we didn't even have a lane to ourselves - had to curb-hug.  Although I did not need, should have had more porta-potties.  Saw plenty of people running into businesses as well as bushes.  Still, great race for the price.  Look forward to receiving my shirt.  Would race again!

• MichaelHoyt1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010

The medal was nice. No shirt was given at packet pickup. Shirts are being mailed.  The course had some rolling hills on open, no police, un-patrolled rural roads. Around Cedar Lake and back to the finish, there were at times a lot of traffic making for unsafe conditions. There was a train  crossing across the running path where runners had to wait for a train to pass.  With the Active.com coupon, the race was very inexpensive, but this race does not get my recommendation.

• cbakeroni55 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010

Personally? very disappointed in this race.  To me it was no more of an event than my last 20 mile run.  In fact at least for my training runs, I chose path to run on so I wasn't in danger of being turned into roadkill.

There were times when the water was sparse, I believe no water station between mile 13 and mile 18.

Traffic was an issue, and this course is NOT flat.  Not big difference from max and minimum of elevation, but plenty of total elevation change.

This race is in danger with Schaumburg initiating a marathon for just a few weeks later.

• pprado Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2011

I thought the race was very at times dangerous.  There were very little personal working the event.  There was no expo and no shirts. (shirts will be mailed later)  I had my GPS on my phone tracking me and it read 13.68 miles so I thought the race markers are off.  There were no medical personal around overall this race was blah...I think I won't be doing this race again.

• ZachAttak4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008

Overall, this race is almost exactly what I expected.

Pros:

- The course was nice, somewhat scenic, rolling hills, and a bit challenging.

- The volunteers at aid stations were friendly.

- Cool finisher's medal.

- Mental endurance challenge, as most of the way I was running alone.

Cons:

- T-shirts were not available at packet-pickup.

- Aid Stations didn't match the course map, and were missing in a couple spots, I'm pretty sure.

- No real community support.  This should be a draw for the communities, but it wasn't.

- TRAFFIC.  I'm ok with running on a road if half of it, or at least a lane is closed, but in most places, there was no indication that a race was even being run, so hugging the curb was constant.  Especially dangerous through Cedar Lake from Miles 9-13 or so.  Some arrow boards announcing runners or cop cars would go a long way.

Overall, if I could do it over again, I probably would, but the organizers absolutely have some kinks to work out for future runs.

• jamiejessica Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008

Well run event. Small local races are fun to do. Don't expect lots of fans or closed roads but it was very well organized and had a good vibe. It is advertised as flat but it definitely has some rollers on the back half. I would do this race again.

• KneelB4Zod Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012

I ran this race both years so far. I am a big fan. I think if you live in the Chicago area, you should definitely do this one. It is well organized, the volunteers are extremely nice, and the location is great. I plan to run this race every year for sure. 

Also, to respond to a couple issues some  negative reviewers here:

1) pprado said that this event showed up as 13.68 miles, and gave it a one star review.  I used the RunKeeper iPhone app, and every single marker was dead on to what the RunKeeper app indicated.  You need to get a better GPS system, and shouldn't hold the race responsible for that.

2) MichaelHoyt1 complained about the fact that race shirts have to be mailed and that there was no expo.  First, give the race organizers a break on the shirts.  They were mailed to the wrong place, and the organizers are making up for this by spending their own money and mailing everyone the shirts.  Mistakes happen.  What is important is not that they happened, but what someone does to fix it.  Secondly, there was never an expo promised.  I knew that, and I didn't expect one.  Expos cost a lot of money, which only drives up race prices.  Kudos for no expo.

3) To everyone who complained about it not being flat: The course elevations were given on the website.  I ran the half, and while a lot of it was flat, I knew there would be a few hills because that information was given to me before the race.  If elevation is an issue for you, please check the elevation charts given on race websites before rating a race as one star.  That is not fair to race organizers, and people who may want to do this race in the future, and rely on these reviews.

• cbakeroni55 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010

Perhaps we should do a better job of checking elevation chart, or perhaps we are naive to belive race directors who call their course relatively flat.  Sure relative to Ohio.  Not Chicago where many of their runners travel from.

This all being said, the hills were most likelt simply magnified by the tremendous winds that the organizers could truly not control.

And they are not using their own money to mail me my shirt.  I paid to enter this race.  They are using my money!

• lakefront_runner Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2008

I wouldn't go so far as to say that having a race expo adds to registration fees. They charge the individual exhibitors to setup usually. 

But you are right, I don't go to packet pickup for a race this size expecting an expo, so I'm with you there.

However, I WOULD pay extra for a race if it meant they would be able to dedicate some room to racers on the roads, add a few more toilets, and stock up more Gatorade so that the full marathoners aren't down to just water by mile 18 because the halfers drank it all. It happens.  But there are plenty of marathons out there, small ones too, that are a bit more appealing.  This is way better than a 1-star race, but certainly not a 5-star either.  Let's be realistic.  There were 4 or 5 port-a-potties?  Did you try leaving the parking lot while the race was still in progress?  I saw 2 marathoners miss their turns because it was not clear.  I did question 1 intersection where there was no one around, and the only arrows on the road were covered by a parked car.  And yes, I looked at the map before the race, my bad for not memorizing I guess... 

A few small details to correct, and this will be a really nice race though!

• CTK2000 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010

There was no water at the 16 mile turn around (I was really counting on it).  On the return a water table was setup 17 that wasn't there on the way out.  Could have used one of the water stations bewteen 21 and 24 that were on the map but not on the course.  Also some of the stations only had water.  The only course I've run that had more hills was Lake Geneva.  Should probably change the name to Crosswinds Marathon.  See you next year.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...