Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

760 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 8:19 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
FatOldFirstTimer Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2012 5:48 PM

My leg really hurts... when I'm not running?

So, my right leg, the top part of the thigh along the crease near my groin and abs hurts. It is a dull pain that radiates down to near my knee and wraps around to my inner thigh. The strange part is that it doesn't hurt when I'm running. This problem has been nagging for several weeks now. All the while, my running has been improving. I have been using a schedule from marathontraining.com to get ready for the Memorial Day Marathon. I have been running since August. My pace has improved from 13.5 minutes per mile to under 12 minutes per mile in that time. I find that when I stand up, my leg hurts so much that I think it will give out and I'll fall down. I've heard possible problems as anything from a trigger point problem, to not stretching enough to fatigue. I've been using heat/ice, gave it a week off, and added a few more stretches to my routine, but this problem persists. Please help me fix it. Thank you so much.

My initial goal is to finish the 2012 Memorial Day 1/2 Marathon.

My further interest is to be more physically fit and to raise good money for worthy charities.

I appreciate any advice that you are willing to give to me.

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 17, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to FatOldFirstTimer)
    My leg really hurts... when I'm not running?

I would recomend you start by checking with your primary care physician.  Depending on your age and history osteoarthritis needs to be rule out.  Take a look at how you sit, review this short article Hip pain should it be treated with stretching exercises.  Habitual sitting with legs/knees crossed can contribute to hip pain. 

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

You are probably experiencing compensation injuries after your calf pull earlier. Problems in one part of a runner's anatomy have a way of moving up or down the chain, as one muscular system compensates for the dysfunction of another. The injuries manifest at different times, depending on how robust the structure in question is.

If you've ever seen anyone run with a calf pull, and observed the hitch in their gait, you know something else is going to happen if they don't stop or get it fixed. The damage might not be evident right away, and continuing to run may cause the endorphins to numb things a bit, but your body pays you back, both for neglect and for overuse, particularly when running through pain somewhere else.

I will second Damien's appraisal of stretching and the possible effects, especially on compromised tissue. You've been increasing both speed and mileage, a deadly training cocktail that needs little more than a few ill-timed stretches to cause some serious pain and possible injury.

First on the list to check is your medial quad Vastus Medialis, which can cause the knee to give out resulting in falls, a common side effect. It bulges just above and inside the knee when your leg is straight. Do this experiment: When you are feeling this weakness, pain or instability that is the precursor to a fall, pinch the skin over this bulge of the medial quad and note the short-term effects. For longer term benefits, work your palms then thumbs into this bulging muscle while the leg is passively straight. This will alter circulatory and lymphatic flow patterns in the area and result in subtle changes to the chemistry in the muscle itself. Not always an overnight cure for muscle dysfunction, but sometimes it is.

Adductor and hip flexor muscles are increasingly pressed into service when your speed increases. These muscles can also cause extreme hip pain, while the medial quad causes pain from inside the knee to the inner thigh along its path. Before you fall prey to myopic medical practices that do not take muscle dysfunction into account, please rule out all muscular causes. It is no coincidence that increasingly taxing your muscles over the last several months has led to the aches and pains athleticism is noted for. Just recognize that while joints for some reason get all the glory in medicine, muscles are almost always the first part of your body to complain.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points