Skip navigation

1544 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 5:00 PM by SpenceTricky RSS
passionforthegame Amateur 23 posts since
May 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2012 3:51 AM

What do coaches look for

what do high school coaches look for during tryouts?

• BoWeezy Amateur 32 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    1. Apr 10, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to passionforthegame)
    What do coaches look for

A Hard Woking Player.

• JumpShot0881 Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 5, 2012
    2. Apr 16, 2012 8:17 PM (in response to passionforthegame)
    What do coaches look for

Some one who respects the game. Hard working a good leader. good defense good driving in and mid to long range shooting. Good passing. Good Luck!

• SpenceTricky Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012
    3. Apr 21, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to passionforthegame)
    What do coaches look for

I went to basketball camp at St. Johns University two years. Both times they stressed something I figure 90% of all tryouts would forget: be prepared. Meaning:

Show up wearing the right equipment. You show up in casual shoes and low cut socks, and the coach will probably mark your name off the list, unless you happen to play spectacularly and he decides to uncross your list, but put a star next to it and write "needs to learn the rules of the game". You don't need to show up all geared up like an NBA star, but at the very least wear gym shorts, sneakers, and high cut socks.

Other than that, unless you're a junior/senior, I'd stress just working hard, cooperating well with players you get teamed with during tryouts, and showing potential. You don't have to score the ball on every possession or every other possession to get invited to the next round of tryouts. You can miss every single shot, but if you were taking good shots, working with your teammates, and demonstrated sound fundamentals, the coach will notice this. If you're a junior/senior...well then you have to be something the coach just can't pass up. The last time I tried out, I was a junior. Didn't make the cut...I was 5'11" in sneakers and almost as athletic as the most athletic wings on the team (needless to say, my high school was a nerd school. bad basketball program. lol). Most of the players on the team were around 5'9"...my friend who was 6'2" in shoes but extremely overweight (probably weighed around 250lbs) made the cuts. At first I was shocked and even a little pissed off. Then I watched a game and made the connection. As a junior, I showed athletic potential, but no fundamentals/teamwork. No point in the coach picking me up if he needed a spend a year teaching me how to play within the team concept - I could only give him a year of so-so team understanding then. But my friend was something he just couldn't pass up on - massive size that wasn't on the team. He was a snail, but if he got position, he almost always scored. You just couldn't body up on him with his bulk.

Moral of the story: unless you're 7' tall, or 220lbs of rock solid muscle and athletic ability just waiting to be unleashed, or a fundamentally sound gunner like Melo in his Denver days...don't expect to make the cut after sophomore year.

• lilRyce Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2012
    4. Apr 22, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to SpenceTricky)
    What do coaches look for

So as a sophomore, (Next year Junior).. I shouldn't even bother going to the tryouts? I'm 5'6" and 130lbs.. I was planning on being a role player Point Guard, but I don't have the best ball handling.

• SpenceTricky Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012
    5. Apr 23, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to lilRyce)
    Re: What do coaches look for

I didn't say that. You should always try anyway, since there's nothing like try-outs to see how you stack up against the competition at your school.

You already know your weakness(es), which is a plus. There's a lot of time till October, so I suggest that you spend the rest of the school year and all of summer working hard. Improve your phsyical assets - maybe you'll grow an inch or two, maybe you won't. But you can definitely put on a couple more pounds of muscle in the weight room, get more explosive, stronger, quicker, and more vertical. Work on your ball handling, your jump shooting, your shooting off the dribble, and your passing. Make sure you play plenty of competitive games, in all formats (2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5) to get a feel for the more intangible skills, like court vision and awareness, decision making (this is huge for point guards), finishing on the drive in traffic, and fakes to finish in the lane without getting blocked by bigs. 2v2 basketball is the best for working on simple two-man basketball concepts like the give n go, or pick n roll.

The great thing about life is that we're free to work as hard as we want, or slack off as much as we want. Just don't argue with the results once you've made your bed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points