Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6242 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 6:45 AM by Knittyflitty RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Knittyflitty Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2012 9:27 AM

C25k newbie, can't finish day 1!

Hi there, I'm hoping to get some encouragement. I started c25k last week. One day one, I managed 2.5 of the 8 runs. Day 2 I did 3, amd on day 3 I did 4, plus kept moving for the full 30 minutes. I rode my exercise bike at a moderate pace for 30 minutes Saturday and Sunday, and today I did 4 one minute runs and kept walking for the rest of the time.

I'm really quite discouraged as it isn't getting any easier. Am I expecting too much? I am absolutely desperate for the 60 seconds to end each time, and I am nowhere near recovered after 90 seconds, which is why I'm only doing 4 runs at the moment. I plan to stick with 4 runs until it's no longer hard before introducing run 5. I know this means it will take me ages to finish, but until today I thought that would be ok. But if anything today was harder than last week. Is that normal?

For information, I am female, 40 years old and weigh 202lb. I have lost 18lb in 8 weeks from weightwatchers, and until I started c25k last week had done no exercise for over 10 years. My lifestyle is normally very sedentary.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

• jdkilgo Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    1. Apr 16, 2012 10:04 AM (in response to Knittyflitty)

You are doing an awesome job!  Don't give up! It does get easier.  Keep working on week 1 until you have mastered it.  The rest of the weeks will be easier.   

• Mellypoos Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 28, 2012
    2. Apr 16, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to jdkilgo)

Keep going your doing great! Keep doing W1 till you are confortable to move on, you body will become accustomed to the runs and you will really start to notice the difference. I've seem some people on here suggest walking the 30 mintues to begin with if it's been a while since doing major exercise, to let your body adjust. Maybe this might help?

Don't give up

• vosfam4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    3. Apr 16, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

You're doing awesome, keep it up.  Stick with Week 1 until you feel comfortable.  When I first started out, I noticed that I was running too fast and getting tired after 30 seconds.  Try slowing your pace and it will get easier.  I sometimes joke that my husband walks faster than I run (which is really a jog), but if it gets me past a minute, that's the pace I'm going at.  Some days are worse than others and I feel like my feet are cement blocks, but I'm thrilled when I'm done.  Just remember that no one is timing you and run slow to start, the speed will come when you're more comfortable.  Good Luck.  Can't wait to hear about your progress!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    4. Apr 16, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

I completely agree with everyone. 

I started C25K in November....but before I started it, I went walking at a fast pace for 2 to 4 miles 2 to 3 times a week in order to prepare for the program.  I think it helped.

I was the same as vosfam4 and when I first started the running, I realized I was sprinting.  Not good.  I was exhaused after 30 seconds and thought I would NEVER get through this.  Someone told me to slow way down, and I did, and it really helped.  I too did several of the programs weeks more than once.  As a matter of fact, I did one of the weeks 3 times.  I told myself I would stick with the same week until I felt comfortable moving on.

I am now a recent 'graduate' of C25K but I am still working on my endurance.  I can jog for 3.1 miles now, but I am pretty slow.  The faster I go, the harder it is for me.  Keep it up.  You will get there!!  Slow and steady......

Kris

• tps2 Amateur 19 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    5. Apr 16, 2012 3:36 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)
    Re: C25k newbie, can't finish day 1!

I have 3 pieces of advice:

1. Slow down.  It really helps with not getting so out-of-breath.

2. When your body says "I need to walk", you can probably say "nope, we're gonna keep running".  Slow down, but try to keep running.

3. Take smaller steps faster.  You'll still be going the same speed, but lifting your legs less, thus it will be easier.

I'm into week 4 now.  When I started I also had a hard time with the 60 second running intervals, but yesterday I just ran 5 minutes, twice.  It wasn't easy, but honestly, it wasn't as hard as those first 60 second runs.   Just keep at it and you'll see, I promise you.  Make sure to rest a day or 2 between workouts; your body gets stronger during the rest after the workout.   You've already taken the hardest step you'll take: you got started.   Just be persistent and patient and the magic will happen!

• lblanken Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    6. Apr 16, 2012 5:48 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

I started today, and had the same problem for the last couple of runs.  So I walked them.  I'm hoping my next workout will be better.  It sounds like you're doing great!  Keep it up!

• tps2 Amateur 19 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    7. Apr 16, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

As to whether you should wait until 4 runs is easy before adding the 5th, I would say don't wait.  C25K is not meant to be easy; it is meant to be challenging, but doable.  It sounds as if you're already making great progress, going from 2.5 runs to 4 runs.  Keep at it and before you know it, you'll be doing all 8.   Don't worry if you have to repeat workouts or take extra rest days.   Progressing straight through C25K is the fastest that a beginner should attempt, but everyone is different, and many of us progress slower.  I'm probably a week and a half behind where I'd be if I could have done the workouts by the published schedule.

Be patient and persistent, and soon it will start happening much faster than you can imagine.  Just as a point of reference, I went out with a local group of runners yesterday when I did the W4D1 workout.  I was the only beginner; most of the others were training for a 10 mile race next month and ran 5 to 8 miles.   I talked a bit with a lady who appeared to be one of the best runners of the group, she told me that she had run a marathon a while back (26 miles).  So, I asked, when did you start running.  Two years ago, she said.   I don't think I'll get there that fast, if ever.  But a few weeks ago I'd never have been able to imagine what it would feel like to run 5 minutes straight, and just 5 workouts from now, if I put faith in the C25K schedule, I'll know what it feels like to run 20 minutes straight!  

• seb34 Expert 58 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    8. Apr 16, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

i agree with everyone else - slow down and that will probably help.  also, someone mentioned getting used to walking for 30 minutes - that is probably a good idea.  running is really difficult, and i think it helps to have some level of fitness/strength/endurance before starting running.

i also led a very sedentary life for years.  when i started exercising, i never dreamed i would run.  i started out walking/hiking and doing leslie sansone "walk at home" dvds.  a few years later, i joined a gym and used the elliptical/bike.  then after about another year, i found i wanted something more challenging, which is when i started c25k.  i think the reason i was successful with it was because i had all those years of other types of exercise, which were all less difficult than running.

so i think definitely stick with it if you enjoy it, but if it's too hard to enjoy, try some other things that are enjoyable (walking, hiking, biking, dvds, gym, sports, anything!).  if exercise is something you like (and don't dread), you will stick with it.  it's more effective to slowly build fitness doing things you enjoy than to try to do too much too quickly and eventually give up.  good luck!

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• lily_lily Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    9. Apr 16, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

Just keep at it! I did W1D1 for an entire week. You may feel like you're not making any progress, but just let your body get used to your new regimine.

• Jennarena Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10. Apr 16, 2012 11:29 PM (in response to Knittyflitty)

You are doing great! Chin up. You got this. =^)

• AtigunAlaska Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    12. Apr 17, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to Knittyflitty)

Keep your head up.

You'll be so proud of yourself when you get through it.

I didn't think I could, and it came. 

There's an image on the boards here that says, "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch."

We're right here with you.

• ComeUpRoses Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 22, 2012
    13. Apr 17, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to Knittyflitty)

It's definitely your pace that's holding you back. Slow it down by about 2-3 minutes per mile and you'll be able to progress through C25K quite comfortably I'd say. When I first attempted C25K a couple of years ago, I think my pace was somewhere around the 9:30 - 10:00 mile mark. Start off as slowly as you can; you'll have plenty of time to pick up the pace once you've built up your endurance. As for running slower than you walk, here's a lovely quote from a great runner, Fred Lebow (he jogged at an 18:00 MM pace, and when asked why he still jogged when he could literaly walk faster) he said: "the jog has a rhythm that the walk does not."

Well done for sticking with it though, and I wish you all the best!

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    14. Apr 17, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to Knittyflitty)

Yes, a 7 minute mile is really fast.  (That's like Bionic Woman speed to me!)   I am at a 12 to 13 minute mile (depending on the day) and I feel pretty comfortable at that pace.  I'd love to go faster, but the faster I go, the more exhausted I get. 

Even after completing the program, I still don't feel like I can go any faster.  I am told the speed will happen eventually and not to worry about it.

Keep on smiling!

Kris

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points