Skip navigation

2659 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 12:12 PM by vals27 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • KneelB4Zod Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012

Kenn: It is true that individual exhibitors pay to be part of the expo, but I am sure that those costs are not always covered.  It likely differs from race to race.  Sometimes they are covered, sometimes they are not.

I believe that the stocking of Gatorade and port-a-potties are valid concerns.  That is why I didn't address those.  I addressed those which I do not believe were valid.  At least with the port-a-potties, the lines for those were less, or at least comporable to every singe race I've ever been to.  The Chicago Half Marathon and the Shamrock Shuffle lines were 10 times longer than any line I saw here though.  Even with that in mind, a few extra port-a-potties might not have hurt.  I didn't have to use one, so that is likely why it is something I did not consider for my original review.

I left the race around the 2:20 mark.  It was tough, and it took a while, but not enough for me to complain about.

I don't expect anyone to memorize the elevation charts, but when people are complaining about the elevation, when an extremely detailed elevation chart was given, they should not hold the race responsible. 

I think your final sentence sums it up best.

cbakeroni55: Perhaps our common ground here is that the term "flat" is subjective.  I guess I didn't rely on it like some other runners might.  I think nearly every race director is guilty of describing their race as "flat," not that this excuses the race directors in this case.  Perhaps any race director reading this should re-think using the word "flat" to describe their races; and any participant reading this should think of consulting the elevation charts when given. 

Regarding the t-shirts- You paid money to enter the race.  Some of that money goes towards expenses.  Whatever money is left over goes to the race charity.  I highly doubt they took money away from the charity to mail the shirts.  If they did, then that is an issue, but I do not believe that will be the case.  As far as I know, no one was charged extra for the mailing of the shirts.  In the end, you are not paying extra for these shirts to get mailed to you.  You paid for a shirt, and you are getting a shirt, just a few days later than you would have liked.  It's unfortunate, but the race directors did what they could to fix a problem, and they did it well.

I just read your other reviews.  I think you should post other things besides just complaints.?  You have yet to rate anything positive.

• Elaine Green Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007

Overall pretty nice race. Any time I can drive and sleep in my own bed the night before and the night after the race - I'm happy. Would like to have seen more port a potties. I asked people @ the 6 mi. mark to use their bathroom and they were very welcoming. I did not expect a lot knowing this was a rural type run and small venue but was a little concerned about the traffic, some cars/trucks were pretty close to the runners!! Not much in the way of shoulder to run on so I ran on sidewalk when available. Shirts being mailed - no big deal, medal - pretty nice, will I be back - maybe. I have run 100   marathons and I like the smaller community events.

• cbakeroni55 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010

What have i rated?  on this site??

I have rated the Flying Pig of Cincinatti 5 stars.  Awesome race,  Very Hilly, very fan friendly, awesome course.

I have rated over a dozen 5 ks, most of which were positive.

Tough Mudder?  greatest event on the planet.

Muddy Buddy?  extremely fun and unique....

Screaming Pumpkin marathon and relay in peoria Illinois? perhaps my favorite personal race experiences ever.

what races are you talking about?

Feb 16, 2012

On this site all I see are your posts related to the Chi Town Half Marathon; ??the Splash, Pedal, Dash/Dash, Pedal, Dash; and the Schaumburg Half Marathon.

• cbakeroni55 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010

For those three races my reviews were (to summarize)

"Overall, not bad, just some minor kinks"

"I was actually Very unimpressed by this race. i expect morefrom all-community events"

"The volunteers were great and plentiful!!"  The course was ok, bad toliet issues.

I stand by all three of those!!

I find it funny that you defend this race so strongly.  If a race is adequate, which this may have been, then why defend it.  It is the race director's job to make an event adequate, and strive for more.  If an employee at McDonald's puts  all my order in a bag, and forgets the straw for my soda, I dont get a mile away and say, "well he got the food right, Ill let him pass on the straw."  No I am dissapointed because, although most of the order is fine, something that was really needed to fully enjoy my meal is not there.

Do i go back and rip him a new one? no, i take off the lid and drink from the cup.

I dont mean to cause mental anguish to the race director.  I want him to know what I think could be done to improve the race.  If he chooses to ignore my comments, fine.  If he takes them in as well as everyone else's outstanding.  Simply coming onto this site to tell them they were perfect is not going to increase the validity of his race next year and for that you are doing a disservice to him and all future runners.

Stop taking this as a personal attack, and see it for what it is, My opinion and attemp at providing one runner's insight.

• BUgurl Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012

My dad ran the marathon, my mom and I walked the half. Nice course, I liked that the whole half course was part of the full marathon route but that it wasn't 2 loops. The majority of the runners were very friendly and respectful; good volunteers; every mile was marked for both events; turns were painted on the road, etc. Only negative in my opinion is all the traffic, and that most of the course we were going the same direction as traffic. Maybe flip the direction we go so we can see oncoming traffic.

My dad noticed the table with jugs of water at about mile 16 on the marathon... it's unfortunate that no one was working that aid station, but kudos to whomever was cheering on their runner and poured several cups of water and removed all the rings off the remaining jugs. Then again on such a hot and humid day, a smart runner would have some water themselves... water every 1.5-2 miles was very generous. All in all a good event, plan to be back next year!

Feb 16, 2012

cbakeroni55: I don't see this as a personal attack at all. 

As far as your McDonalds metaphor goes, I believe posting negative reviews is closer to the ripping him a new one than it is taking off the lid and drinking from the cup.  They can do a lot of damage.  I read your reviews, and I would disagree with your summaries.  In my original post on this race, I was addressing those critiques I did not feel were valid, that is all. 

In the end, I think you were too harsh, and you think I was too nice.  That is that.  Have a good night.

• KevinKlepper Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012

The course was challenging between the rolling hills and wind.  My only issue was the lack of water stations on the South loop of Cedar Lake and the loop around Lake Dale. 

• tntslater Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I ran the full marathon and I felt it that this is one of those situation that yes they could have done more.  For example being a first timer to this race it would have been nice to have been told to look at the ground rather than assuming the turns would be a nice sign showing which way to go..along with a lot of the intersection were not marked clearly which way to go.  I agree that at some points there was no were for us to run and we were basically running right next to the traffic.  As far as the no water station at mile 16ish it was my wife and her best friend that set up the table for the runners to get some water during that turnaround we had.  If she had not done that, most of us would have been without.  My suggestion is that if you have a station especially that far out..move some of the workers to that location rather than have 3 or more at some of them.  I was concerned why NOTHING was said at packet pick up about the shirts.  I had to go and ask someone else.  The medal was very nice and I felt that the workers on the course were VERY polite and willing to do anything we needed but would have been nice to know that mile marker that they were at.  Overall the wind and the hills this was a good race and hopefully some of these things can be fixed before next year. 

• LEGA Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009

Sincerely when I signed up for the marathon I was excited and really looking forward to the event. Then when I picked up my number all my excitement disappeared. No shirt and no package, just the number. But I tried not to pay attention to that but then the day of the race again another disappointment. The course was not well marked, not enough water stations as promised, dangerous - a lot of cars, a tough and hilly course (NOT FLAT). Overall a REALLY bad experience. If you want to run alone with no support, carry your own water, risk your life running with cars, don't like packages, don't care about mile markers and don't care about your partial times-total time, this is the race. Please don't say it is a flat course if it isn't: tell runners what they should expect from the race. 

• MichaelHoyt1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010

KneelB4Zod wrote:

2) MichaelHoyt1 complained about the fact that race shirts have to be mailed and that there was no expo.  First, give the race organizers a break on the shirts.  They were mailed to the wrong place, and the organizers are making up for this by spending their own money and mailing everyone the shirts.  Mistakes happen.  What is important is not that they happened, but what someone does to fix it.  Secondly, there was never an expo promised.  I knew that, and I didn't expect one.  Expos cost a lot of money, which only drives up race prices.  Kudos for no expo.

I believe you misquoted me. I never mentioned an Expo and I do not believe I complained.  I understand mistakes happen. I did not hear any formal announcements from event staff at the race regarding the shirt issue. Had there been, I think there would be less issues about the shirts on here. I applaud the RD for doing the right thing to make the situation right. I stated what I saw in my commentary and I gave a rating. I have run 65 Half Marathons in the last two years, both large and small. In my rating, I simply stated the reasons why I gave the race two stars. It is definitely not one star, for that would not be fair to all the volunteers who came out and supported the event (especially in the weather conditions) and the race went on without any major problems and it is not quite 3 (I rounded down). I think it could be much better.  The course could have had better markings. The mile markers were small or painted on the road (very easy to miss), some of the directional communication was lacking (runners had to backtrack at splits to get back on course), the roads were not managed or patrolled, and regarding the train issue, I compare it to other races that I have run with a train track in the middle of the course. The others had timing devices/mats on the ground (also rural races) before and after the train tracks that deducted time if a runner was caught waiting for a train to pass.  I visualized at least one runner who waited on a passing train while I was running the half, and another member in our group who attempted to get a sub 4 marathon that fell short due to also waiting on a train. The most scenic section of the race (around Cedar Lake) was tainted due to the narrow running path, cars backed up trying to pass runners, cars coming from both directions, a rude driver honking and yelling for runners to get out of the road, and no-one there directing them.  It took away from the whole experience. I don't want to ruin the race for future runners. It is a viable race to run.  The central location meeting up with runners from Indianapolis and Chicago would be the only reason for me coming back. As stated, it was a nice medal, in fact much nicer than Southern Indiana Classic Medal I received from running SIC the day before this race and I liked the Active.com Schwaggle discount that our group acted on to get most of us all there. The wind and rain you had no control over. I am just thankful the weather cleared enough for the race to continue. 

• Miles4Health Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009

I am an adventurous runner. I've run many marathons in different states. For this event, I had to drive 2 hours from home, stayed at a hotel the night before and had to drive back home right after the race. Each race is different. I go to races with no expectations but to run and enjoy myself being out there running on my weekend instead of being inactive at home. This particular race was quite a challenge: we had thunder and lightnings before we started, the hills never ended- they went all the way to the end of the course. The winds and rain made it a tougher race. However, I did enjoy every mile and everything about it. I have so many t-shirts from run races I've done so I don't need another one to clutter my closet. The people/volunteers were friendly, I love the rural areas we ran through. I carried my own water bottle and was able to fill it up at every station. It is definitely not the typical big city marathon but I enjoyed every mile of it and will be back next year.

• Davehom Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011

I ran marathon last year and half this year.  Overall, not bad at all.  A good event with some hills and wind thrown in.  What more can you ask for.  Nice job Frank!

• vals27 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012

This was my very 1st 1/2 marathon. I really enjoyed it even in the wind and rain. I thought there were plenty of water stops (at least on the 1/2, can't speak for those running the full). I did hear about the hills before hand and also drove the course a few days before. This is kinda hilly considering it takes place in farmland in Indiana. The volunteers were very friendly. I got my shirt no problem a few days later and I think the medals are very nice. I used this race as my 'trial run' for the Indy 1/2 I will be doing on May 5th. I would definitely do this race again. Maybe I didn't expect too much considering it is just a small race compared to others with thousands of people. Thanks for the good first time experience!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...