Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

825 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 10:14 PM by crl8686 RSS
JuliaG76 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2012 8:51 AM

5K in 3 weeks - lots of rain right now

I am training for my first 5K in 2.5 weeks. I have been on the treadmill and was hoping to get outside...however, it is spring in chicago and it looks like it is going to be raining whenever I have the chance to run (usually in the late evening after my son goes to bed). How can I maximize my training on the treadmill (as I know that the treadmill is nothing like running outside)

Thank you in advance!

Julia

• Mellypoos Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 28, 2012
    1. Apr 18, 2012 11:10 AM (in response to JuliaG76)

Hey, I have no answer re the treadmill as I don't use one but I say run in the rain. It's great fun i'm up to wk 4 of the C25K and the runs i've done in the rain have been my best

Good luck with your 5k

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    2. Apr 18, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to JuliaG76)

You can do plenty of good 5k training on the treadmill.. I dont know how fast you are but run at your  5k pace on a treadmill alot and you should improve... Since its your first 5k You should probably try running at the speed that was the fastest you did 3 miles ever as much as you can.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Apr 22, 2012 10:14 PM (in response to JuliaG76)

(1) Run with the treadmill at about a 1% incline. This is the equivalent of running outside on a flat surface - compensates for the lack of wind resistance on the treadmill.

(2) If your race will have hills, include some similar hills in your treadmill training (adjust your uphill speed accordingly).

(3) Consider covering up the display - or at least not looking at it - for at least part of your runs. When you run outside, you will not have the electronic display to give you continual feedback on your pace. Learn to judge your pace independently - e. g. by breathing rate, leg turnover speed and fatigue level - which is what you will need to do during the race.

(4) Consider: if you are doing all your training on a treadmill, in a climate controlled environment - what will you do if it is raining on race day? Some outdoor running in the rain is excellent practice for racing in the rain.

(P. S. I live in Los Angeles where it rarely rains - and it is quite easy to schedule runs to avoid bad weather - but you can't control the weather on race day. So I intentionally started to do occasional training runs in the rain. It was definitely worth it when I recently got poured on during a race).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points