Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1302 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 12:44 PM by pnystr
theo81 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2012 6:26 PM

St. Croix or Orlando 70.3

Hey all, my girlfriend and I are trying to decide to do one of these events in May. We've been training for the St. Croix and have our whole trip booked and are going anyway.. However, we recently found out its going to cost us 150 bucks per bike per flight to compete there.. More expensive than our flight. We're trying to decide if it would be smarter to save the money the airline would charge and compete in the orlando one (we live a couple hours away) instead. I'm curious to see other triathletes opinions.. Thanks for any input..

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Apr 19, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to theo81)

As a rule, I don't fly to any triathlon because of the outrageous fees airlines charge for bikes. However, if you have bike boxes already, you can check with freight carriers like DHL and FedEx on shipping to your hotel ahead of time (also check with the hotel). Check with the race organization as well as some have a partnership with a local bike shop where you can ship it to them and they re-assemble. That will probably save you some money although you don't have your bike for a few days or the security (?) of knowing it is on the same flight as you are.

St Croix is supposed to be one of the harder IM races on the circuit becuase of steep hills, temperature and humidity, FWIW.

Good luck and have fun at whichever you do.

BT

• Richard Hirst Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    2. May 9, 2012 7:14 AM (in response to theo81)

I hope u did St Croix. I didn't see this until returning, but I had one of my best race experiences ever at the St Croix race this year. There is not a friendlier (and true "old school") race left like this one, and everyone on St Croix was incredibly nice. Don't let the bike expense deter you...think about how much you already have invested in this sport already!!! Bike fees are nominal compared to that and the experience is worth it. One more thing (since I work for Jet Blue Airways) I'll put in a plug for them. Bike fees on Jet Blue are only 50.00 each way and they run full size jet service to St Croix. Of you didn't go, I hope u do next year. I am already committing to going back after finishing last weekend. I can always do an Orlando race, but this place is "over the top" in every way!

Richard Hirst

Capt A320

Jet Blue Airways

• pnystr Amateur 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 31, 2012 12:44 PM (in response to theo81)

The Florida 70.3 is now in Haines City.  It was a great event and Lance won the day!

The local community really turned out and suppported it.  The course was very nice and the expo was excellent.  I am going back next year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points