Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1580 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 10:21 AM by ydiez
adogg1219 Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2012 10:03 AM

SERIOUSLY Interrupted training.  Now what to do?

OK, so I was training for my first half marathon and doing great!  I was up to a steady 8 miles with 3 months to go until the race, in peak physical condition, and super-excited!  Unfortunately, 3 1/2 weeks ago I became seriously ill, hospitalized, the works.  I'm now starting to get back to normal and hope to resume exercising/jogging next week.  The only problem is that now I only have 6 weeks to go before the race.  Can it even be done?

• ydiez Pro 140 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 19, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to adogg1219)
    SERIOUSLY Interrupted training. Now what to do?

adogg1219 wrote:

OK, so I was training for my first half marathon and doing great!  I was up to a steady 8 miles with 3 months to go until the race, in peak physical condition, and super-excited!  Unfortunately, 3 1/2 weeks ago I became seriously ill, hospitalized, the works.  I'm now starting to get back to normal and hope to resume exercising/jogging next week.  The only problem is that now I only have 6 weeks to go before the race.  Can it even be done?

I experienced a somewhat similar situation a few weeks ago although my case was much less serious as I only got sidetracked for a couple of weeks, never hospitalised. At that time I asked a similar question got a very wise answer: "first of all, focus on getting healthy", so take it easy and gradually go back to running.

After this first part is done, then it might be time to think on going back to HM training.  You might not have lost all that much of your running shape (of course this also depends on the seriousness of your illness), so probably the first you have to assess is exactly where you are when it comes to running. Once this is done, it will probably be time to adjust your training plan, you can either change your goals for the race or change your race date.

From what you mention, you where not that far from the HM distance, so it might very well be possible to aim for a finish, but if you prefer to run it at your best pace, then you should probably just look for other HMs a few weeks later.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...