Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1572 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 5:23 PM by Molly229
OrsonWeston Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2012 10:50 AM

Feel like im hitting a wall training for my first marathon.  Is this normal

Im training for my first marathon the San Diego Rock N Roll.  Im using the Hal Higdon training guide and feel like Im hitting a wall.  Is this normal.  Im up to 16 miles on the weekend and running my longest run 8 miles during the week.  Im starting to get a little worried about being able to finish the 26.  Is this common?  When I just ran the last 16 mile run this pass saturday it was very tuff to finish.  I felt like I didnt have anything left.  Any suggestions?  Am I alone?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

This is very normal for your 1st.  Every time you go to a new distance your mind will play tricks on you if you let it.  You may be running your long runs a little fast also (just a guess),  another thing make sure you are fueling yourself the night before and during your runs. If you are not hurt, just keep plugging along you will be fine! 

Nice quote I like.

"There will be days you don't know if you can run a marathon...but there will be a life time of knowing that you have.  Marathons are all different, but each time you cross that finish line, you hunger for the next one...it's a great feeling of accomplishment!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I agree, sometimes the mental preparation is more challenging than the physical requirements.  The worry and anxiety is totally normal and we all typically face negative thoughts prior to an important event. 

It sounds like you have been doing well with the training plan, so just have faith in your abilities and place focus to the goals on a daily basis as opposed to making the overall connection to marathon.  I know this is difficult, but there are many factors that contribute to how a LR goes at a particular date/time. 

Trust me, this will have little to do with marathon performance, because all your previous efforts will converge (with the added benefit of the encouraging environment, your personal goals and so on), so push out the LR schedule a bit as you feel comfortable and do not fret if you have to add some variations to the training schedule.  The plan is a general guideline and if you need to add or subtract miles here and there based on your individual circumstances, that is totally okay.  If you need to add some speed training and venture off the plan, then pursue that avenue.  Many times, I have no idea what I can accomplish on a particular day until I get out the door and just start moving, so listen to your body and trust your instincts (above the structured plan, as necessary for your advancement). 

You are not alone in your frustrations...do not be too hard on yourself for those times that come in under your expectations...you are doing great and will be fine on race day.

Congrats on your first marathon and best wishes!

• PeteTheRunner Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 6, 2008

I ran my first marathon 5 years ago at age 48.   you won't know that you can do 26 miles 'till you do it.    summer is a tough time to train and I can remember going weeks at a time without feeling crisp or like I was progressing. then at some point you just look back and say 'holy crap'  I accomplished alot and you'll feel better. just stick with your program and you'll be fine.   get a mentor who's run a few and talk to them about what to expect.  I remember in my first asking another runner if it was supposed to hurt like this at like mile 24.....

have faith.  train diligently and you'll succeed.  one last suggestion have as your primary goal -  finishing.   everything else is gravy i.e. time goal.  Best of luck

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008

Orson, how are things going?

Paul

• Molly229 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 12, 2005

What you are feeling is so perfectly normal. I am training for my 2nd Marathon in October. I just did an 18 miler yesterday. For me, its not the running that hurts, its the stopping. Cramping & serious leg pain.

What always amazes me in training is how you feel like you are getting nowhere and then one day you can't believe how far you've come. I doubt myself too. I'm 50.  What keeps me going is this drive inside of me to push hard, to accomplish something, to say 50 is a number.

Someone told me, on this board, 6 yrs ago when I was training for my first marathon, when I cried after a 9 mile run in the middle of winter outdoors, that I would have more bad runs than good, BUT it's that one good run that keeps you coming back for more. It's so true, & I,ve never forgot that.

Keep at it, one foot in front of the other.  If you can run 16 miles, you can run 18.  If you can run 18, you can run 20, etc.

Best of luck to you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points