Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

897 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 8:33 AM by Kinver88
ydiez Pro 142 posts since
Nov 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2012 11:59 PM

What is the best way for a runner to run/walk 100km in 32 hours?

Hi all,

I have a friend who is participating in the intermon-oxfamn trailwalk, a charity event that raises money to fight poverty.

Once you have managed to raise some funds, then you do the actual "race" which is 100km long. The whole thing is set up in a non-competitive way and people generally just take a long long time to finish and walk all the way, with a good night sleep in the middle (limit time is 32 hours).

My question is the following, although it is too late for me to participate in this year's edition, I would definetely like to participate in  next year's. I was wondering what would be the best way to train for something like this and also what would be the best combination of running/walking for me.

I am 34 and am currently on a personal plan to run 10 Half marathons before training for a full marathon (so far two done, eight to go, next one in seven days). If injuries allow it (let's hope so!) I expect to be about two months into marathon trainig when this even comes up, so my speciffic questions are:

- What do you think is the best way for someone with my (not bad but not excellent either) running level to prepare the event (try to run as much as kms as possible?, forget about running?)

- Is there a way to use marathon training for the benefit of this type of trailwalk? Is there a way to do it the other way around?

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Ultraultimate Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2012

An Irish ultra runner called John O'Regan talks about running/walking in his documentary 'Defining Moment', in it he runs and finishes the 2010 Spartathlon ( This race has a 70 percent failure rate) 246km non stop in 34 hours, I think that is about 150 miles. He goes into detail about the effects on the body when walking/running- uphill/downhill. amazing.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I think the record for the 100km is somthing like nine hours and 15 minutes, which is just mind-blowing to me.  Anyhow, this seems a bit different than the typical marathon training plan, of course, due to distance and overall tremendous endurance.  If this is your goal, I would say experiment with splitting some of the mileage in the same day and obviously increase your LR schedule.  So, depending on your overall fitness, you many want to build up to doing a 50K (or completing two 30k distances in the same day with a run/walk combination).  It really depends on your motivation for this specific type of event and how much you wish to push yourself within the time frame.  It sounds like your marathons are creating a wonderful base for future goals. 

You could, for example, experiment with 20k distances back-to-back or alternating with walking/jogging for the second route.  Even if you separated out five routes at 20k for this event, you could still do the run/walk/jog or whatever. 

Best of luck...sounds like a challenging project!

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010

Sounds like an interesting challange. I Guess you could see how your body adapts to ultra running over the course of the next year before you decide to run some/none of it and focus on walking instead. 3km an hour is competely doable but I guess if you want some kind of sleep in the middle then you need to be looking at 5 km an hour at the very least!

Are you going to keep a blog of your training as well as the money that you raise? It would make a good blog for sure!

2012 Running/Triathlon Targets

Sub 3.10 Marathon

Sub 39 10k

Sub 12 IronMan UK

Blog - 2XU Compression Tights

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points