Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

26328 Views 182 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Previous Next
  • irulan Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Apr 16, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to Aprilfools2381)
    Starting in April!

Welcome, April! The more the merrier! Nice to see a fellow Canadian in the group!  I'm not actually from here, but I've lived here most of my life.

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

C25K Start Date: April 1st, 2012

Next Race: Toronto Women's 5K - May 27th, 2012

• xbritnex Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    61. Apr 16, 2012 9:09 PM (in response to irulan)
    Starting in April!

I want to combine some strength training on my off days with the c25k, but i'm not sure what i should and what i shouldn't do or where to start. I have done lots of strength training stuff for soccer over the years, but someone was always telling me what to do. I don't want to start off too fast either. I am also thinking about doing some other type of cardio on the off days like just riding my bike or jumping rope for a little bit. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Apr 9, 2012
    62. Apr 16, 2012 9:18 PM (in response to xbritnex)
    Starting in April!

I found this particular webpage to be quite helpful: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength1.htm

I run Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and do strength training Monday, Thursday, Saturday.  On strength training days I start with about 15 - 20 mins on my stationary bike.  I take Tuesdays off completely.

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    63. Apr 16, 2012 10:38 PM (in response to irulan)
    Starting in April!

week3, day1 done. I guess i was thinking too much about the increase in jogging. I was able to do it and not worried for the rest of the week. It dawned on me that worrying about the harder stuff ahead is kind of pointless, because we'll either be able to do it, or not, and the point is-we're still out there running and getting better all the time. Don't stop!

• Jennarena Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    64. Apr 16, 2012 11:48 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hello everyone! My name is Jenn and I also started this month. Today I did W1D2. I have lost 60lbs since Thanksgiving and am currently weighing in at 235. I am doing this not only for weightloss but also to become a runner. I have always envied those who run. I decided I can do this and here I am. Can't wait to get to know all of you and continue on this journey together.

Jenn

Apr 9, 2012
    65. Apr 17, 2012 4:44 AM (in response to victoria75)
    Starting in April!

Victoria - I think you hit the nail on the head.  We'll either be able to do it or we won't, but we won't know that until we get there! And if we can't do it right away, we'll be able to EVENTUALLY as long as we keep trying. Congrats on getting 3.1 done!

Welcome, Jenn!  Congratulations on your weight loss! When I started my weightloss journey in September 2011 I weighed 239lbs.  I've lost 36lbs so far; only one of them has been from doing C25K since April 1st. I'm generally less concerned about the number on the scale while I'm doing the C25K training...I actually expect to gain a little bit back (as muscle, lol) so I'm trying really hard not to get  too discouraged when the scales haven't budged!  From what I've read, it's pretty normal for the early stages of the program. Do keep us posted on all your progress!

«« irulan »»

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    66. Apr 17, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to Aprilfools2381)
    Starting in April!

Welcome April!  Don't feel bad about not making it all the way through the runs.  Just keep moving and if you're not ready to start Week 2 then maybe consider doing Week 1 again.  That is what I would do. BTW, I'm a newbie too.

So, I finally got time to go back to the gym and do Week2 Day 2 yesterday.  That would make 4 days since my Day 1 of Week 2, and I could definitely tell a difference.  For one 90 second run interval I decided to just keep walking because I was feeling winded.  Other than that I got through it!  Tomorrow I'll complete Week 2 Day 3.

• kbouissey Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    67. Apr 18, 2012 3:15 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

So I just finished W2D2 this morning and I have to say it was hard. I also realize that I have some negative voices in my head that are rather loud and want to make their opinions heard. I tried to make them stop, and I did push through but the negativity did plant some seeds of doubt in my head. Anyone else feeling this way right now? Or is there anyone at the same point I am and having similar difficulties? I find the added 30 seconds harder, and I get tired easily. Kinda makes me hesitant about week 3. Anyone on week 3 that can give me a few words of encouragement?? Thanks

Apr 9, 2012
    68. Apr 18, 2012 3:59 AM (in response to kbouissey)
    Starting in April!

I definitely had some negative voices in my head on Sunday when I started W3.  They're hard to ignore sometimes! But I managed to push through.  I'm doing the program for distance rather than time, so it really helped that  I had already picked out the landmarks that I was running to.

If you're finding that you're wearing out try slowing down a bit.  Give week 3 a shot but if it's too hard, do w2d3 again until you're ready

«« irulan »»

Apr 9, 2012
    69. Apr 18, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Just finished W3D2 I was a bit slower today, and this time I laughed at the little voice that tried to tell me I couldn't finish the second 400m run LOL  Slowing down definitely helped me control my breathing a lot more easily.

«« irulan »»

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    70. Apr 18, 2012 10:45 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

week3, day2 done! i did it, thats good! I was feeling really defeated most of the day because i got on the scale after another week and a half of running and walking for an hour on the off days, and the scale hasnt budged. I had lost 5 lbs when i first started on April1st and weighed at the end of the week. now, nothing..

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    71. Apr 19, 2012 7:26 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

You all are doing such a great job, you should be proud of yourselves. Don't let the fear or uncertainty defeat you because the fact that you made the decision to start the program is enough to show how courageous you are. So happy to be apart of this community.                                                                               

Today I completed week 2 day 2 and it was a real challenge compared to the previous days. The jogging was a bit challenging but listening to music really does help me push through the workout. The endorphins are AMAZING after the workout and I'm looking forward to day 3 and on to week 3!!!!!!!!!

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    72. Apr 19, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I completed week 2 day 3 today!!  I did a little better today in that I only walked about 20 seconds of the fourth run interval.  Last time I had to walk it completely because I was out of breath.  Today instead of going to the gym and running on the treadmill, I took my dog and we ran down by the river.  (I live in the Columbia River Gorge)  Running on pavement was definitely different than running on the treadmill.  In my case it seemed a little harder.  I was having to push myself more.  (while running an image of Dory in "Finding Nemo" singing "just keep swimming" popped in my head.  I changed it to "just keep running." )   During the warm-up walk I did start to get shin splints, which I don't normally get, but they soon faded away.  Thank goodness.

Here's a pic of the Columbia River from our workout:

It's a cool, cloudy day here in Oregon

IMG_1000001218.JPG

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    73. Apr 19, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Week 2 Day 2 done! Hurrah! It was easier than W2D1.Gotta find a new route so that last interval of jogging isn't uphill!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...