Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1425 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 8:03 AM by Snerb
NucleEd Amateur 10 posts since
Oct 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2012 5:10 AM

What should a runner do?

I have just started running 5k's, 10k's, and HM's.  I am getting to the point where I am passing more people than are passing me.  What is considered courteous when passing someone you know or recognize?  I do not want to appear to be bragging about passing but I don't want to be rude and ignore them.  I could see where a runner would not want to speak if they are breathing hard and I am breezing by.  I just want to be courteous without annoying a fellow runner.  Any suggestions?

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Apr 20, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

Couteous is good, how about just genuine nice.  I think most runners can appreciate a genuine "looking good, keep it up" even if they're getting passed.

If you're really both competitive and honest and on similar skill level  two things are usually going through both of your minds at that exact point in time.  The passer should be thinking, okay, passing is good, but am I blowing my load too soon?  A gut check is going to be called for and some head games must come into play...can I keep this up to the end?  If you're really busting a move, you can never be quite sure.  The passee...he's either thinking Ah hah, cool.  Someone to follow.  Always easier to pass someone at the end than stay in front of someone at the end.  I've got this one just where I want him.  Or, he's thinking I knew I went out too fast, and there's just the proof I didn't want to see.  Now what the heck am I going to do about it?

Either way, there's no reason competitors can't be civilized and exchange friendly words of encouragement.

I always wanted to get to friendly terms with my local competitors where I/we could really throw in some good trash talking instead.  Unfortunately, we've never got to that level so I just stuck to the civiliized socially acceptable stuff.

• ydiez Pro 142 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    3. Apr 20, 2012 8:48 AM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

I personally go for something like "almost there!" if we are near the finish line and something like "keep it up" otherwise. There are actually some people who I sometimes pass and some other times get overtaken by, so I also get some insight on how I feel when they say similar things (so not too happy at being passed but truly appreciating the encouragment).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Ultraultimate Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2012
    4. Apr 20, 2012 3:16 PM (in response to ydiez)
    What should a runner do?

Haven't ran in a few months because of injuries and other excuses, but got re-motivated and focused by a very interesting documentary "Defining Moment" on an Irish ultra runner called John O'Regan,

This Irish guy is very polite to everyone he passes on the last 30km of the 2010 Spartathlon,a 246km non stop race from Athens to Sparta in Greece, he finished in 34 hours. Amazing to watch.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    5. Apr 22, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

We usually just give a thumbs up sign...that works especially well to acknowledge fellow runners with an encouraging, respectful signal.  (especially when most are wearing headphones). 

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Apr 22, 2012 9:50 PM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

If I know the person reasonably well, I'll just do a quick smile and wave, and then move on. Hopefully they will do the same for me if they pass me later in the race

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• 64spokes Pro 60 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    7. Apr 22, 2012 10:59 PM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

I usually save the talking for after the race, and I don't think anybody minds.  I've had times when someone else and I are pushing each other in the race, and afterwards it's all smiles and contragulations.

It reminds me however of a story about probably the greatest female competitive cyclist ever, Beryl Burton.  On the way to setting the overall 12hr time trial records (a record that would not be broken by a man for another 2 years), she passed the eventual men's winner, Mike McNamara.  As she passed, she offered him a liqourice candy.  Which he says he ate.

That might be considered a bit cocky.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    8. Apr 23, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to NucleEd)
    What should a runner do?

Good topic.

Keep in mind that I'm not racing anyone else when I run any event.  I'm only 'racing' the clock, trying to best my previous time/pace.  If I happen to place, great, but 'beating everyone else' isn't a goal of mine.

That said....

I typically try to talk to the poeple that I know before the race starts, and do the courteous 'good luck, have fun'.  If I happen to pass them during the run I just give them a thumbs up, I generally don't say anything to them.  The exception is if it's a good friend, then there's usually a smart-a$$ comment, something to the effect of him buying beer or being old.  But those types of comments come right back if/when they pass me.  It's all fun.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...