Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2139 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 5:46 AM by Snerb RSS
PaulaAV Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2012 4:39 PM

Pain behind my knees

Hi,

I've started running again, and am thinking that I may have pushed it too far, too soon. I am up to running for 2 min., walking for 90 seconds (6 intervals). I had been running 4-5 days in a row, and as soon as I tried to ramp up a bit, I developed pain behind my knees. I also have a bit of pain when squatting, but seems to be getting better after a few days of rest. Has anyone else experienced this type of pain? I'm now thinking I should be running every OTHER day, and maybe just walk a bit on the off days.

Thanks!

Paula

• Kaycoocachoo Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    2. Apr 13, 2012 5:03 PM (in response to PaulaAV)
    Pain behind my knees

You need to be taking days off to recover if you are just starting running at this pace. It may just be overuse of the knee that is causing you soreness and since you said after rest it was better, taking the recovery days should be all you need.

• tps2 Amateur 19 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    4. Apr 15, 2012 4:31 PM (in response to PaulaAV)
    Re: Pain behind my knees

Behind the knee: that would probably be the popliteus muscle.  I'm about 4 weeks into C25K, and I get that sometimes.   I think some sort of step exercise might be used to strengthen the popliteus.  I'll probably try to incroporate this into my strength training routine at some point.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    6. Apr 19, 2012 9:49 AM (in response to PaulaAV)
    Pain behind my knees

Be very careful with pain behind the knee.  If the knee has problems that cause swelling it usually shows up as pain in the back of the knee.  I went to the doc/surgeon in 2007 with pain behind my knee (wasn't a runner then) and his first words to me were, 'soreness behind or in back of the knee is generally swelling because of a larger problem within the knee'.  Two weeks later I had my first of two knee surgieries to repair damaged ligaments (the second surgery was in 2010). 

I'm VERY careful with my knees.  I'm hoping your pain is from over use.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    8. Apr 23, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to PaulaAV)
    Pain behind my knees

Glad to hear it Paula.

I'm still able to run, I limit my distances to 6 miles or less.  The second surgery was mostly my fault, I didn't 'listen to my body' when I started running. 

'Play through the pain' was the saying when I was a much younger athlete.  Now, not so much. 

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points