Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7684 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 3:37 PM by terrykay79 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Padvali Amateur 32 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2012 7:20 AM

Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

I did this program last summer, loved running but due to winter and life this year, I have fallen off the wagon   TODAY, April 22, I am going to get back on!  Wondering if anybody else is starting today and we can support eachother!

Dianna

• runcharl Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    1. Apr 22, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to Padvali)

Hi, I started couch to 5k today.  Ive never ran before so Im a total beginner.  I managed the 25 mins that it took to do the day 1.  I needed a puff on my inhaler, but it was easier than I expected!! Bring on Day 2!!  I have a few friends that are laughing at me saying that I wont do it, so its making me want to prove them wrong even more!!

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    2. Apr 22, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to Padvali)

I just started today. I'm 53, out of shape (haven't run a race since my Jr yr in HS, 37 yrs ago!), diabetic, and am a breast cancer survivor. I knew I had to make some life changes after finishing breast cancer treatment, so first on the list was to get my diabetes under control. Got on an insulin pump. Just the diet change alone required for that made me lose 23 pounds! Eight months later I added 2x/wk strength training with a trainer. Three weeks later I'm starting the C25K. It was HARD for me to do the 25 minutes today, but I did it! Did I feel good (physically)? No! I hurt everywhere! Was I PROUD that I did it? YES!! Hopefully enough to motivate me to go out on day 2 and go through that hurt again! Trying to work towards a local 5K in 6 weeks! Have another 40 pounds to lose to get back to somewhat normal for my age/ht/gender. May not get that far but doing this has to help! Also have Relay for Life in July so looking forward to LOOKING GOOD AND FEELING GOOD, having more energy, and boosting my metabolism!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• SNHSNH Amateur 24 posts since
    Oct 24, 2009
    4. Apr 22, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to Padvali)
    Re: Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

OH yay, pick me too! I'm getting ready to go to the gym and do day one in a few minutes. I was waffling about trying to decide whether or not to go, and seeing this post is my last little push to do it.

I've done the program before about 2 years ago and got to week 7 (running like 25 straight minutes) but then life happened and I stopped running. I'm annoyed that I'm going to have to start all over, but at least I already know that I can do it!

Okay, enough talk, time to go get on that tredmill (it's awfully rainy today) and get to work! I'll report back when I've accomplished the task at hand

EDIT: Alright, I did it! W1D1 done. I ran on the treadmill because I was afraid it would rain. The gym happens to be right behind my house, about a 45 second walk. While I was in there, it started POURING. On my walk home I got absolutely soaked. I guess I could have just run outside!

COMPLETED :

1 D1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Apr 22, 2012
    5. Apr 22, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to SNHSNH)

Good job! Doesn't matter if you did it inside or outside, just starting is a really challenging thing! I like your little counter, where do I get one?

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Oct 24, 2009
    6. Apr 22, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to 53andstartingnow)

Oh, I didn't get it anywhere. It's just my signature (under the "my account" thing at the top) and I have to go in manually and change it every run. It's a nice accomplishment to do it each time though. I liked it last time!

COMPLETED :

1 D1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Apr 22, 2012
    7. Apr 22, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to SNHSNH)

Mind if I steal it?

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• ladybird60 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    8. Apr 22, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to 53andstartingnow)

Hi, I'm 52 and Tuesday will be my first day only because I ran 1/2 mile today before I found this site.  So Tuesday will be my official day.  I am looking forward to running.  My goal is to runa 1/2 marathon October 7th.  I, like you ran in HS and some in college. I just love to run.  Bad knees won't stop me this time.  Need all the support I can get.

Oct 24, 2009
    9. Apr 22, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to 53andstartingnow)

Not at all! Help yourself!

COMPLETED :

1 D1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Apr 22, 2012
    10. Apr 22, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to SNHSNH)

Thanks! Looks like you and I are going to be neck and neck in this!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• colleencrager Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009
    11. Apr 23, 2012 6:59 AM (in response to Padvali)

Stared the Program today. I have never been a runner so this is a total new experience for me. Main goal is to get healthy and loose some weight. Secretly would like to try and run a 5k with my 13 year old daughter who runs cross country. Not gonna lie, I am totally out shape. Today was hard. Optimistic though and expect it to get better. Currently very proud for just getting out there today and completing the first day. I just kept repeating to my self "you can do this". It worked. I finish. Yeah Me!!!

• nixjo7 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    12. Apr 23, 2012 7:06 AM (in response to Padvali)

I am starting today with the couch to 5k Iphone app. I have not ran since high school so here goes nothing...

• BlackHillsMom Amateur 26 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    13. Apr 23, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to colleencrager)

YOU CAN DO IT!! I have NEVER been a runner before...I despised running. I pretty much had the same goal as you, to just get back in shape, and secretly wanted to do a 5K, (although I only half believed I'd ever do it). Well, I basically started adding little bouts of jogging to my walks and then gradually increased the time I was jogging. Over the last 4 months, I have been consistently walking/jogging several times per week. It is hard, but the main thing is that I stuck with it, and........ I did my first 5K yesterday!! I had to walk some, but I think that's because I found it hard to pace myself around all the other runners. Anyway, my goal was to come in under 35 min, and I came in at 33:38. Woohoo! No matter how hard it seems right now, just stick with it. Keep going, and eventually you'll get there. It takes time and determination!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...