Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2204 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:59 AM by Frank_NL
NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2012 7:14 AM

Scenerio Review

I'd like some feedback on a situation I had yesterday. 

I'm umpiring behind the plate and the pitcher seems to be grimacing as he is receiving the ball back from the catcher. I start to see it more and more in the first inning. Then I hear the pitcher say to the catcher to throw the ball easier as it is hurting his catching hand. So my ears went on alert.  The next foul ball out of play I throw the a new ball to the pitcher. He catches it and is in obvious pain. I call time, and ask him to join me between pitcher mound and home. I ask him what's wrong with his hand, he says he hurt his thumb the night before. I ask him  to show it to me. He takes off his fielding glove and he has the thumb taped and wrapped to the hand. So I call out the coach, his father, and tell him he is hurt and shouldn't be playing. His father tells me he is OK and a "drama queen." He assures me he is OK, and he will only be pitching for 2 innings, which went to three. Then he places the boy at shortstop. They only had 9 players.

The tape was not a cast, and that is the only rule I know of, so I let him play. I was so damn mad. (My kid wouldn't have played.)

Opinions? 

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 23, 2012 7:22 AM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Scenerio Review

Your job is to umpire, not to play doctor.  That having been said, I would bring the issue to the attention of the manager.  If he knew full well what he was doing, then it's his neck, not yours!

If this were LL, I would advise my UIC and let him work it with the board.

But that's as far as I'd go, and yes I'd be mad too!

Mike CVUA

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    2. Apr 23, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Scenerio Review

Was it LL? Was there possibly a medically inclined spectator present?

I'm gonna put on my beowulf37 hat here for one second:

"FOR GOD'S SAKE! PROTECT THECHILDREN"

Phew, now that I got that out of the way, I'm probably going to find a phone number of whomever and make a call to report the situation. Maybe the child is indeed a drama queen. Maybe dad is an a$$hole. Either way its not my call, but I will bring the pimple to a head and make a phone call.

Time wounds all heels.....

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Apr 24, 2012 6:00 AM (in response to BlueBeak)
    Scenerio Review

So shines a good deed in a weary world... 

Having put forth THAT rubbish, why on God's green earth would you care?  You're the ONLY person on the field to observe this?  And it would be soooo much more effective and believeable coming from you?  You're so emotionally invested in this little brat why? 

I'll bet that the kid is a drama queen AND the father's an a$$hole, which may be why the kid is a drama queen, or maybe vice-versa.  Chicken or the egg? 

And the beak is correct - FOR GOD'S SAKE - PROTECT THE CHILDREN!  They're the future, dontcha know???

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Apr 24, 2012 8:21 AM (in response to beowulf37)
    Scenerio Review

A number of years ago I was sitting in the stands watching a League Championship Game in Senior Softball.

Top of the last inning, Vistors up by 6 runs.  One out and a runner on 1st.

Batter hits a single to right, R1 tries to go to 3rd.  Throw comes in runner slides and is safe.

Ball thrown back to the pitcher but the runner is still laying on the ground, holding her ankle.

3rd base coach asks for time, he and the manager examine the girl.

They "help her up" so she can stand on 3rd base.  They only have 9 players so no sub.

Manager talks to the girl going up to bat who strikes out on 3 pitches as does the next batter (out # 3).

The girl, who had been playing 2nd, "hobbles" out to right field.

The Home team comes up to bat and doesn't score, game over.

F1 and F7 run out to right field to "help" the girl back to the dugout.

The girl is taken to hospital for X-Rays - results: broken ankle.

Her father (a local lawyer) was a coach and the manager was a local doctor (a very good one).

To my knowledge nothing was ever done about "the incident".

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Apr 24, 2012 10:30 AM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Scenerio Review

Nell, I must commend you on your instincts, because in LL, chances are we all have or had kids in the game.  And no one likes to see a child get hurt.

But I want to share with you something I did about 10 years ago.

Sitch:  A kid is coming off a broken arm; he has a thin, fiberglass cast and an Ace wrap.  Coach asks me if that is OK.  I say, no!  "Casts of any kind are not authorized."

In the 4th inning, they tried to put the kid into right field AFTER they took off the cast!  I would not let the kid play!  (Even had words with the manager as he was trying to call the UIC on his cell phone.  I should have beamed this clown!  Oh, he was the league VP!)

Anyway, I posted that sitch on eteamz, and I routinely got borehogged by the responses back.  Unless I am Marcus Welby (or maybe play a doctor on TV), I should stay out of medical issues.  If I do something wrong, the League and I can get sued.  And in the case of the kid who took the cast off, he was now compliant with the rules!  I should have let him play!  To this day, I felt I did the right thing, but the old heads here said I technically did not apply the rules correctly.  If the kid had been further injured, it would have been the manager's lawsuit to deal with.

So, Nell, it isn't your job to be a medical man;  but between you and me, don't EVER quit being a "Dad".

Cheers!

Mike CVUA

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Apr 24, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Scenerio Review

I'd have handled it similar to you.  Notice it, mention it to the coach, but ultimately its the coach's job to handle, not the umpire. 

Now, having said that, I've had times where a catcher is clearly suffering dehydration and has had me more than just a little worried.  On one occasion I did stop the game until the catcher was replaced.  I was overstepping my bounds, and I knew it, but I figured it was becoming a dangerous situation and besides its partially my health at risk too!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    8. Apr 25, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Scenerio Review

Mike CVUA:

In your broken arm situation quite possibly a Little League regulation pertaining to an injured player may of been overlooked.

If applicable, and  if the subject injured player--[broken arm}-- had missed seven(7) continuous days of participation, a doctor or other accredited medical provider must give written permission for the subject player to return to baseball activity.

[Missing seven continuous days for a broken arm is not unusual. "Activity" and "continuous days of participation" would include practices and games].

Again, if in fact seven days was missed, absent that written  medical okay, the kid doesn't play.----Umpires, board members, managers, coaches, parents, are out of the loop except for securing and/or viewing the written medical okay required by LL Inc.

Frank!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Apr 25, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to mackman)
    Re: Scenerio Review

Mackman - dehydration is nothing to fool around with.  We're very cognizant of it down here in Florida.

Pre-Hydrate and then Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate - we remind the managers of it before the game starts.

If needed,we will stop a game and send the players to the dugouts to get a drink and rest in the shade for a few minutes (been there, done that).

• Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 25, 2002
    11. May 3, 2012 2:59 AM (in response to beowulf37)
    Scenerio Review

@beowulf37: ".. You're the ONLY person on the field to observe this? .. "

To speak with Mahatma G.: "Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...