Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

856 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 7:46 AM by nikki427 RSS
nikki427 Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2012 9:41 AM

Advice on pushing through the 5min run intervals?

My first day of week 4 was amazing! I couldn't believe it when I successfully completed all the running intervals (especially since week 3 had been a struggle!). I was so proud of myself! Since then, I've attempted the week 4 run four times, but for whatever reason, I just can't seem to push through those 5 minute intervals. It's killing me! Any advice?

• txcindy73 Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    1. Apr 23, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to nikki427)

If you aren't already doing so, ADD MUSIC!  This really helps me to focus on something other than the run.  Last night was W5D1....the first 5 mins was a killer, but the other two weren't too bad.  Not looking forward to tomorrows though......two 8 minute runs!  YIKES.

Begin weight: 181 (01/01/2012)

Current weight: 163.2

Goal weight: 155

C25K start: 03/25/2012

Cystic Fibrosis Walk Scheduled 09/22/2012 ~ Three Rivers, Texas

• mbutlerfitness Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    2. Apr 23, 2012 1:38 PM (in response to nikki427)

I know this is going to sound weird but find something to think deep about.  I usually go for long runs sometimes forgetting where I am just by having deep thoughts.  Music isn't bad as well but it causes you to run to that rhythm of the song and can throw your momentum off.  Don't think about the timer, timers always kill people because you'll just want it to end.  Whatever you do don't give up.  I used to hate running and know I run 5 miles every other day.  I see it as therapy. I know I sound crazy but after doing it for awhile it becomes enjoyable.

• tps2 Amateur 19 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    3. Apr 23, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to nikki427)

Try to slow down.  By slowing down, I don't mean to take less steps per minute, I mean take smaller steps.  I feel it is best to control my forward speed when jogging by changing my step length, not by changing the rate at which I'm taking steps.

Yesterday was my first experience jogging on a trail with hills.  On one particularly steep slope, I was moving so slow that I was almost jogging in place.  When I went back through the trail walking, I found it hard to walk up that slope, but I jogged up it by taking very short steps.

I've heard the recomended step rate when jogging is 180 steps per minute.  I know I don't take that many per minute, but my rate is clearly much higher when jogging than walking.  I try to keep my step rate, or cadence, constant regardless of the step length, or stride.  If I want to move slower, I take shorter steps.  To move faster, I take longer steps.

• Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    4. Apr 23, 2012 8:27 PM (in response to nikki427)

Hi,

I assume your challenge is the mental aspect of the longer runs.

I had this too - physically I was fine but mentally they were a real challenge. The solution turned out to be speed intervals. The time just FLIES by!  I pick a tree in the distance - pick up the pace a bit and run to that tree  - slow back down to my comfy pace until I recover and then pick another tree. The mental cycle of picking a spot, "sprinting", monitoring my recovery and then starting the whole thing over makes the time flash by. I promise!

I would just pick up the pace a little bit - nothing extreme - just a faster than I would be able to maintain for any length of time. And the distance of these sprints was probably less than 30 seconds.

This is all easily done on a treadmill as well.

(If the challenge of the 5 minute runs is more physical than mental - then start out real slow - much slower than you think you need to go. You'll have more left for the finish.)

Happy running!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points