Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

909068 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010

Mary Kay

It would be very unusual for a formal 10k race to be mis-measured by any significant amount. I would trust the race first for distance.

An indicator would be if about 100 runners set significant PRs and were all cheering and shouting! 

Personally I would tend to not run the upcoming race. Running is a long term friend. No race is worth risking that friendship. There will

always be other races. A half is a significant stress no matter the pace. You have only 2 weeks to heal all ailments and could have one

heck of a time healing in the next two weeks if you continue your half training.  Live to run another day. JMO

Marie

Thanks for the feedback re your pain wandering around.  Your comment on books was interesting!  I look at reading those books as if

it I was looking mining for gold. I keep sifting through the dirt and occasionally find a nugget that makes it worth it. I must have 15 or

more books on running and running health/injuries. Often I find the original research papers referred to in the injury related books or 

web articles.  That is where I get a lot of nuggets.  At any rate, I'll probably keep reading that which piques my interest. Heck, I have

read all the Harry Potter books at least twice and can't count how many times I have read the Lord of the Rings!

Good running all!

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011

Woke up at 4:30 this a.m. for a run and was met by wind and a steady rain. With my tender ankle I almost delayed but I managed to talk out the door. I am glad I did. I quickly settled into a slow, plodding pace and the ankle loosened up and was fine. At mile 6 I upped the pace and finished strong. A bit over 8 miles, a bit slow but with the conditions I don't mind. I hae a 5k next wekend. I can't wait to start the race season.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012

I just started today. I'm 53, out of shape (haven't run a race since my Jr yr in HS, 37 yrs ago!), diabetic, and am a breast cancer survivor. I knew I had to make some life changes after finishing breast cancer treatment, so first on the list was to get my diabetes under control. Got on an insulin pump. Just the diet change alone required for that made me lose 23 pounds! Eight months later I added 2x/wk strength training with a trainer. Three weeks later I'm starting the C25K. It was HARD for me to do the 25 minutes today, but I did it! Did I feel good (physically)? No! I hurt everywhere! Was I PROUD that I did it? YES!! Hopefully enough to motivate me to go out on day 2 and go through that hurt again! Trying to work towards a local 5K in 6 weeks! Have another 40 pounds to lose to get back to somewhat normal for my age/ht/gender. May not get that far but doing this has to help! Also have Relay for Life in July so looking forward to LOOKING GOOD AND FEELING GOOD, having more energy, and boosting my metabolism!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

JANET  Your post brought tears to my eyes! What an inspiration.  Your screen names really emphasizes that it is NEVER too late to make the changes needed to improve ones quality of life! By Relay for Life in July; you will be 'kickin' it"! 

Slowly but surely I am adding the miles. Continue to walk/run. I am finding (for me anyway) that is the best way to avoid injury.  My goal is to run a little farther than the previous run...it's working!

The hubby & I made a very difficult decision in declining a "continue to work for us; or your services are complete" offer. It would have required a move to Wisconsin.  Many factors contributed to our decision.  However; we have made it & we are not looking back!

Continue to run strong all!

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-good luck with Door County in 2 weeks. One of the nurses from our office will be running that, her first.  I think I'll make that a goal for next year.

For some reason a tough week to run, just didn't have the desire that's been there much of the last year. But I have a race coming up, the Crazylegs Classic 8K in Madison next Saturday, so I tried a 5 mile run, trying to pace as I would next weekend.  My time was near my goal, but since yesterday I've had pain in my butt/hip area.  I'm going to spend this next week walking and maybe gently jogging, hoping I'll heal enough to run something of a decent time.  Also going to contact a PT friend for some suggestions for stretches.

Enjoy the running friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Running4urlife Pro 72 posts since
    Oct 6, 2011

Had a great time this weekend doing a 5k with two of my daughters.  My 14 yr old finished 1st in her age group with a time of 24:04....so awesome and my 15 yr old finished which I was happy about cuz it was her first 5k.  She had a time of 38:50 which I thought was great seeing that she was about to give up after 1.5 miles and pushed on through.  My time wasn't the best, but I had been pacing it to keep up with my 15 yr old.

Race on all!!!

COMPLETED RACES

2010 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---47:24 (walked...first race in 10 years!)

2011 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---- 33:53

2012 - St. Paddy's Day 8k/5k Run....58:59....FIRST 8K!

2012 - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack....35:38

2012 - Short Run on a Long Day 5k in Frankfort....34:43

2012 - Fort2Base - 3 Nautical Mile (3.45 miles).....36:44

2012 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k.....31:46...PR!!

2013 - Mar - St. Paddy's Day 5k/8k Run...34.26

2013 - Apr - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack...34:36...2nd place in my "old age" group

2013 - May - Solider Field 10 Miler...2:01:26

2013 - June - Chicago Color Run (not timed)

2013 - June - Women's Chicago 1/2 Marathon....2:43:04

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010

I got a PR on Saturday in the Tarheel 10-miler/Fleet Feet 4-miler in Chapel Hill.  I did the FOUR mile part but got my fastest speed ever for a pace of 11:53 minutes per mile (first time under 12 m/m).   For me, this was a particular victory because first I almost didn't sign up for it because it is known for its hill.  There is a hill that lasts for over 1 mile called Laurel Hill which is so bad they actually give separate awards out for the hill and also give separate split times for the hill alone.   LOL.   Anyway, I"m proud that I entered, proud that I finished, and proud that I did it in my fastest time!   Then yesterday, it went on a zip line tour!  WOOOOT!   Running has given me so much confidence that last month I went sky diving and this month I went zipping!   Life is great!  Bring it!!!

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Melissa:  Congratulations!! Great job on getting out and getting that pr! Proud of you!!

Running4: What an inspiration you are to you kids! Keep up the great work!

Dan: Good luck on your upcoming race and take care of that hip. Let us know what the pt says.

Quay: good for you braving the elements and getting the 8 miles done.

DiDi: Hope all works well with your all's decision re the move. I'm sure it will.

53: Welcome and good luck.  Stay with the program and you will meet your goals. Post here often, it is a great group and we are all here to encourage!

MaryKay. Jack gave you good advise re the race and the upcoming one.

Janet: Welcome and good luck. Let us hear from you on your progress!!

Kathy: How is all going with you??

Black berry winter is upon us. The wind is worse than the cold. But, I'm out the door for my run!. Have a great week eveyone!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Dan~Thank you for the well wishes!  I'm a bit nervous about climbing Sven's Bluff at 4.5 miles, but boldly praying the past 4 months of training and the beauty of the course will carrry me through to 13.1!  I hope your RN friend enjoys the race and urges you to register for it in 2013.  Don't wait too long to have the butt/hip pain looked at, I should have seen someone earlier.  Have a great run at the Crazylegs 8k on Saturday, it looks like a fun race!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Debra, good luck w/ you upcoming half. Trust your training. You are ready for it and will do great!!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• suzeecat Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012

Janet, I just saw your post and congratulations for getting up and starting!  The biggest step is now behind you.  I'm pretty new to running myself.  I started training in February for the Chicago marathon in October.  I've never been a runner, not even in high school (dark ages), but I'm training and running with a (huge) group from my church for charity (World Vision). 

Our second group run this past Saturday was COLD (38 degrees with 15 mph winds), but I actually enjoyed it.  There was someone in our group pacing 12:00 with the Galloway walk/run method and I stuck with him.  He had a GymBoss that beeped and vibrated for the run/walk cues which worked really well, so I decided to get one of my own.  They're only $20 and I think I'll use it a lot if I continue the run/walk method.   I ran 50 minutes on my treadmill last night, my longest run yet (that is, running 4 mins., walking 1 min.).  It was tough, but I was actually hoping to hit a wall just so that I could experience plowing through it.  Turns out my "wall" was pretty soft and easy to jump over. 

I'm still in the "conditioning" phase of my training with the "official" marathon training beginning in June.  I looked ahead to the schedule and probably shouldn't have.  It's hard to believe that I'll actually be running such long distances.  Now that I have a little experience behind me the reality is sinking in and those numbers mean much more.  I keep telling myself, one step at a time, one mile at a time. 

Sue P. (age 57)

Started running January, 2012

First Marathon, Chicago 10/7/12 - 5:53:31

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012

Woohoo! Got up and did Wk1 Day 2 before I had to go to work! I'm not a morning person so this was a big step! It was easier to do day 2 than day 1, but still was hard! But I felt really good afterwards! Will probably do day 3 tomorrow since I have early meetings on Thursday! Hope it is easier so starting Wk 2 Day 1 won't seem so bad. Upping the running time will be hard! Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I love reading the posts and it means a lot to me and helps to motivate me! I'm in it to finish! Can't wait to be in good enough shape to run a 5K! Keep up the good work everyone and don't quit!! DON'T QUIT!!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• Trey Judy Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009

Slowly coming back from injuries, but coming back none the less.  I made the impusive move of running the Savannah Rock and Roll marathon last November after being injured all during training.  I was fit enough from biking and swimming, but my tendons weren't ready for that much stress no matter how slowly I ran, so I ended up in a boot for the month after.   This time, I trained for the Nashville Rock and Roll half, but I tweaked a calf about 2 weeks ago.  That cost me a week and a half off, but I'm feeling good now.  I'm slower than I have been, just hoping to break 2 hours.  Wish me luck.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Wow, so much going on here! Sue P. and Melissa, - Great Job!!!. Running4 - sounds like your 5k was a great day for everyone. So inspiring!.

Dan, Good luck with your Crazy Legs 8k. Right now, that is looking like the perfect distance.So sorry you are still having pain. Hope it works out.

Trey - sounds like you fit in well, here with your injuries. when do you run next? Didi - These life altering decisions are so stressful but sooner or later we all get to make them. Now you can settle into your new life. Good luck with that! Janet - Congratulations on getting out there. Stay with it!

Richard - your notes are always so positive. That makes them fun to read. Hope you are protecting against stress this time.

Jack - I have been itching to see if I could still run long but wasn't ready to compromise PT/injury. I finally felt strong enough and saw a window of opportunity at work for a few hours so went out this morning intending to run 12 mi. I only made 10 and stopped because I ran 2:50. It was windy but I am slow. Took an ice bath and feel almost good. Feeling great about the possibility that I may be ok to run the HM and can now taper in peace. Now all I have to deal with is pre-race jitters. So if you see me posting too much just tell me to chill, it's just nerves.

Marie - I am not sure we are getting injured by being unwise, well at least speaking for myself. I don't know where my edge is until I've crossed it. No one in my family ran and no one I know stayed this active at my age so I'm going in kinda blind, except for the wisdom from all you fine folks. I am conservative (scared) by nature but something is different about running. I'd rather be injured from trying too hard than be missing out on the opportunity to progress by not trying hard enough. So, this year hill climbs after a long run hurt me; five years ago it might not have. I won't be doing that one again but I bet I'll be making some other *mistake* before the summer is over. Hopefully, it will be a new one.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hi folks,

We had a storm blow through and provide us with temporarily cool temps for the Firefly Run, which was a fun little run (race report here: http://runningupthat.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/phoenix-firefly-5k-41412/).

I'm still grinding through my training program here in AZ and nursing a blister that's formed under a callus.   It's getting down to the wire now and I've been keeping tabs on the Easter Island Marathon website.  The race swag includes an official tech shirt, windbreaker, and "jockey" - surely they don't mean jockey shorts?  I checked the Spanish version of the site and it says "jockey" there, so it's not a translation error.  Guess I'll find out what the mystery item is once I get there!  According to one race report I found, unless they've changed things in recent years, the only loo on the course is a pay toilet at the halfway turnaround, hm...  It's a pretty small marathon, mainly due to a limited number of hotel rooms on the island, so ya can't expect the level of support you'd get from a Rock-n-Roll.

In the meantime the Whiskey Row HM is having beans & rice instead of spaghetti for the carb feed because the race is held on Cinco de Mayo this year.  Love beans & rice but I'm not too sure about loading up on "the musical fruit" the night before a big race!

Janet, good on you for getting up early!  I'm doing my running before work too now that the weather is getting hot.  I just downloaded the Olympic fanfare to my phone so I can wake up to it on my early mornings!
    MaryKay, take it easy, relax and you'll do great on your HM!
    Debra, good luck with your half too!

Happy running,
    -Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...