Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1371 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 12:29 PM by TLHB70 RSS
zaz18 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 7:44 AM

shin pain already, help!

hello, my question is about the eternal shin splint!  since i've had my children my shin have never been the same!  As soon as i start running ( i mean in the first minute) it starts!  i'm a beginner and can't past that stage as the pain stops me from progressing from the walk/ run stage! ( i don't even get out of breath or break a sweat). So far i've taken long breaks ( weeks) , lost a stone ( i'm only a little overweight now), stretched/strengthened  got appropriate shoes ( one of those motion control thingies) all to no avail! it even seems to get worse!  Help! ran out of ideas!

• patrickdives89 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008
    1. Apr 25, 2012 10:39 AM (in response to zaz18)
    shin pain already, help!

I've had issues with shin splints since I was in my 20's.  Back in February, when I began running again, they flaired up pretty bad.  I ended up going to a physical therapist who analyzed my running form.  My problem was my calves were extremely tight and she said they were the cause of them.  The therapist ended up making a thorough stretching routine for me and she also had me increase my strength training routine involving calf exercises. She also told me to increase my potassium intake and eat more bananas.  It took a while but it appears they are behind me now.  It's so enjoyable going out running now and not having shin pain.  This has motivated me to never stop running again.  I hope you can find relief from them.  They can really put a damper on running.  If you would like more info on the exercises the PT had me do, I'm happy to share.

• TLHB70 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    2. Apr 25, 2012 11:37 AM (in response to patrickdives89)
    shin pain already, help!

I am new to the forums here so I hope it is ok that I ask this.....

Please share some of the exercises.  I am new to running.  I just finished C25K week 1, day 2.  I did go have a stride/gait analysis at a local running shoe store.  I got Mizuno Wave Riders as they recommended.  My shins aren't so painful that I can't run, but I am noticing soreness/pain there.  I did make sure to stretch before and after the run.  I would like to stretch more of that targeted area.  I also did the ABCs in the air with each foot before and after the run.  Any other stretches you can recommend will be greatly appreciated!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 25, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to zaz18)
    shin pain already, help!

Personally, I don't like motion-control shoes because they tend to be very stiff and make your shins work harder.  Also in a recenct study of runners who had motion-control recommended, those who ran in motion-control shoes had more injuries than those who ran in "stability" shoes.

One exercise I do is to stand with your back ro a wall, your heels one foot-length away from the wall.  Lift your toes toward your shins slowly, then let them down slowly. Start with 10 reps, work up to 20. Do them both feet together, then one foot at a time.  Work up to 2 or even 3 sets.

Len

Len

Oct 12, 2008
    4. Apr 25, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to zaz18)
    shin pain already, help!

Here's what's helped me:

1.  Look at "Legs up the Wall" pose on You Tube.  It gives a good stretch.

2.  Place a towel flat on the floor.  With your toes (barefoot) scrunch up the towel.

3.  Take a handful of marbles and place on floor.  With your toes, pick up the marbles, one at a time and drop them in cup.

4.  Take a hard foam exercise cylinder, while on your back and elbows, roll the cylinder up and down your calves.  It hurts but works great!

5.  Seated Shin Stretch-Sit on your knees with feet tucked under your butt.  Gently lift the knee on each leg.

6.  Standing Wall Push-Up-Face wall, One leg behind the other, one place a few inches from wall, place palms on wall and stretch.

I had a lot of success doing this routine nightly.  Hopefully it'll help.

• Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    5. Apr 25, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to zaz18)
    shin pain already, help!

Hi,

I was sidelined by shin splints many years ago. So much so that I didn't try running again for more than 20 years!

I felt the very beginnings of shin pain when I started C25K 5 months ago and so started doing a ton of research.

I have been 100% pain and injury free and I believe its all down to running form.

I run on the balls of my feet.

This can be a hard adjustment for a "heel striker" but I found some advise online which was very helpful to help you find your form. Find a large patch of flat grass or indoor area (hallway, large meeting room, gymnasium) where you an run barefoot for a good stretch. You will see that you automatically run on the balls of your feet when you are barefoot. That is your natural stride. Once you do it barefoot you will remember how your stride feels and can recreate it in running shoes.

There was actually a terrific article in the New York Times recently about a Harvard study which has found that forefoot strike runners have many fewer injuries than heel-strikers. I will try to post it in the newbie forum.

I do always stretch my shins and calf muscles as well though! The yoga pose 'down dog' gives a nice calf, back and shoulder stretch.

Happy running!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Apr 25, 2012 5:52 PM (in response to Shrewsberry)
    shin pain already, help!

Shrewsberry wrote:

This can be a hard adjustment for a "heel striker" but I found some advise online which was very helpful to help you find your form. Find a large patch of flat grass or indoor area (hallway, large meeting room, gymnasium) where you an run barefoot for a good stretch. You will see that you automatically run on the balls of your feet when you are barefoot. That is your natural stride. Once you do it barefoot you will remember how your stride feels and can recreate it in running shoes.

There was actually a terrific article in the New York Times recently about a Harvard study which has found that forefoot strike runners have many fewer injuries than heel-strikers. I will try to post it in the newbie forum.

?I keep seeing this kind of thing and studies have shown it isn't true.  Approximatel 80% of heelstrikers who try barefoot continue to heelstrike and about 50% of those never successfully convert to forefoot/midfoot strike.  (You will also find that grass is not recommended for beginning barefoot runners.)

The study you mention is interesting but I'm not sure that it is relevant for everyday runners, since it dealt with high mileage, high intensity collegiate runners.  The authors' advice at the end of the article is probably much more meaningful.

Len

Len

• Shrewsberry Expert 53 posts since
    Dec 19, 2011
    7. Apr 25, 2012 6:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: shin pain already, help!

Obviously I can only speak for myself but it has worked for me. 100%

I do a lot of hiking and yoga and have found myself prone to ankle and knee pain and a history of shin splints.

Since focusing on forefoot strike running I haven't had a single pain let alone injury.

I finished C25K in early February - completed Bridge to 10K a few weeks ago and am now running daily. Again I have been 100% pain and injury free.

I don't run barefoot - I haven't even tried the 'minimalist' running shoes I purchased yet.

I run in traditional Asics and New Balance shoes with built up heels but I run on the balls of my feet.

As far as heel striking when one is barefoot - it would seem almost impossible - the impact is too high. One naturally protects the heel when barefoot - that's why trying the barefoot across a lawn or carpet experiment to find your stride works so well. You'll find you run 'right' naturally.  You don't need a long run - just enough to get a dozen or so strides in so you can get a feel for it.

Again, I am a newbie and can only go by my own experience.

Apr 25, 2012
    8. Apr 27, 2012 5:39 AM (in response to patrickdives89)
    shin pain already, help!

patrickdives89 wrote:

Here's what's helped me:

1.  Look at "Legs up the Wall" pose on You Tube.  It gives a good stretch.

2.  Place a towel flat on the floor.  With your toes (barefoot) scrunch up the towel.

3.  Take a handful of marbles and place on floor.  With your toes, pick up the marbles, one at a time and drop them in cup.

4.  Take a hard foam exercise cylinder, while on your back and elbows, roll the cylinder up and down your calves.  It hurts but works great!

5.  Seated Shin Stretch-Sit on your knees with feet tucked under your butt.  Gently lift the knee on each leg.

6.  Standing Wall Push-Up-Face wall, One leg behind the other, one place a few inches from wall, place palms on wall and stretch.

I had a lot of success doing this routine nightly.  Hopefully it'll help.

These are wonderful tips!  Thank you so much.  I did a few of them Wednesday night after my run, and I noticed the stretch helped.  I am excited and plan to do these before today's run. 

As far as the cylinder you mention in #4, are you talking about one like this?  http://www.target.com/p/Gaiam-Restore-Foam-Roller-Green-18/-/A-13561631

Oct 12, 2008
    9. Apr 27, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to TLHB70)
    shin pain already, help!

That's exactly it!  There are also exercises on YouTube to use with it.  Using it is actually a bit painful but it's worth it for what it will do.  The PT also had me use this for the calves and it worked as well http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-Original-Massage/dp/B000YDO1NA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335531339&sr=8-4.  I'm really happy the stretches seem to help.  Shin splints can really hurt but once you get past them, it's like night and day.

Apr 25, 2012
    10. Apr 27, 2012 12:29 PM (in response to patrickdives89)
    shin pain already, help!

patrickdives89 wrote:

That's exactly it!  There are also exercises on YouTube to use with it.  Using it is actually a bit painful but it's worth it for what it will do.  The PT also had me use this for the calves and it worked as well http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-Original-Massage/dp/B000YDO1NA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335531339&sr=8-4.  I'm really happy the stretches seem to help.  Shin splints can really hurt but once you get past them, it's like night and day.

Thank you so much.  I will try to pick one up this weekend.  I want to do all I can to help my body and improve my running. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points