Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1778 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 3:11 PM by mikehuyck RSS
GemObra Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2012 10:24 AM

How do you time these intervals?!

Hi All,

I am so brand new to running, that I have not started yet.  I just made the decision a few hours ago that I needed to run a 5K because I needed to set and achieve a goal in my life.  Any goal really.  So this is not only a physical challenge for me but a mental one as well.

My question may be silly, but how do you time the workout?  I know that 1 minute of running is going to leave me huffing and puffing and in no way be able to stare at a stopwatch as my arm bounces along as I run.  What do you use to time your walk/run intervals?

Thanks everyone!

• FlipOverBuggie Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 3, 2012
    1. Mar 24, 2012 11:06 AM (in response to GemObra)

Gem,

I am doing the Couch 2 5K program and it has been great!  Have you heard of it?  Basically it is an interval program that you run/walk in intervals three times a week.  Each week gets a little harder, but as you keep with it, you'll realize that you are actually building up the endurance to do the more difficult runs.  I use my Iphone in order to time my intervals...I have an app called Get Running that goes along with the Couch 2 5K program.  I just put in my earbuds and the podcasts on the app tell me when to walk/run.  She even lets you know how much time you have left on each run.  It's super helpful.  The best part is, I can turn on my music on my phone and the program dims the music when she needs to tell me something.  I recommend checking into that if you have a smartphone that has the application ability.  I think that there are also some people out there that have taken the time to make music playlists that go along with interval running.  Perhaps you could look into those?  Anyway, congratulations on starting running!  I was never much of a runner before this and I am so pumped to sign up for and run my first 5K! 

Happy running!

Flip

"To live will be an awfully big adventure"

Started Couch 2 5K February 27th

Glow Run 5K Wilmington - 3/28/12 to be completed!

OrthoWilmington 5K - 5/19/12 to be completed!

Next goal after C25K...Run the 4 mile loop at Greenfield Lake Park, Wilmington NC

• bmkd Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 25, 2012
    2. Mar 25, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to GemObra)

Hi GemObra:

I just started the Couch-to-5K program, and I am using a little gadget called "Gymboss" to keep track of the intervals. With the Gymboss, you can set two different time intervals and how many times you want to repeat the intervals. The Gymboss is about the size of a pager and clips to your pants or wherever you want it. Once you turn it on, it will beep, vibrate, or both at the beginning of each interval. When I go running, after my warmup walk, I turn on the Gymboss and just listen for the beep to let me know when to alternate between running and walking. When you are completely finished, it will beep and vibrate for an extended period of time, so you know you're done. I absolutely love the Gymboss. I can totally concentrate on what I'm doing, without having to look at my watch constantly or fumble around with a stopwatch. I ordered mine online for $20, and I'm really happy with it. Good luck to you.

• GingerGloria Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012
    3. Mar 25, 2012 9:51 PM (in response to GemObra)

Hello GemObra! I have been using the Couch to 5k program(C25k) and let me just say its amazing. I found an application for my cellphone by RunDouble. Like FlipOverBuggie except for my android phone. The program tells you when to warmup/cool down, run, and stop. There is an option to have updates on your pace and distance during your run. The program also has more advanced running programs like 10k starter plans and 5k improver, and fun runs for free. They just added a heart rate feature, but I haven't used it. Yet, the best part is listening to music. I just select my playlist hit start my run and I'm off.

Also, the biggest tip I could give you is don't start off to fast! I started out too fast and was almost discouraged but now I've moved through the program and only have two weeks left. I also wanted to keep a goal, this is one of my few New Year resolutions I've kept at. My first 5k is next month, and I never thought I could make it this far. Just keep it at it and you will finish your goal in no time!

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    4. Apr 25, 2012 11:22 PM (in response to FlipOverBuggie)

i just count it all out while running. i tested myself against a watch and i counted pretty much the same as needed. once you get to five minute , youre counting to 300.its alot of counting, but free and easy really. i write down the jog walk intervals in seconds on my hand and just glance at it to know what to do next. call me crazy, but the counting keeps me focused and it passes by without thinking of any pains or tiredness..

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    5. Apr 26, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to GemObra)

Gem:  If you don't have a smartphone but you have an iPod, there is a C25K podcast.  It's wonderful.

The first week I did C25K, I used a digital watch that also displayed seconds.  It was a bad move on my part because after about 30 seconds of running, I would stare at the watch willing it to go faster!!    After reading some posts on this site, I heard about the podcast.  Thank goodness.  It saved me.  I love that 'the voice' tells you when to run and when to walk.   I think there are several available.  Just google 'C25K podcast' and that should get you started.  I downloaded mine for free but I can't recall which one it was (the voice was female and british).  If you really want to know, I'll find the info for you.

And like Ginger said, don't start out to fast.  I did and was exhausted after 30 seconds and wondered how in the world I would make it through the program!  I still have to keep telling myself to 'jog' rather than run.  Also, don't feel bad if you have to do a week over again.  I did.  I ended up doing week 3 a couple times and week 6 too.  I decided to re-do a week if I didn't feel comfortable moving on yet.

Good luck to you in your running journey.  Yes, it's difficult (at least it is for me) but it's actually quite fun at the same time.  I ran my very first 5K last weekend and had a blast!  It was so very satifying to cross that finish line.  I am sure you will feel the same way!

Kris

• mikehuyck Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 19, 2012
    6. Jun 19, 2012 3:11 PM (in response to offmycouch)

I use the gymboss for notifying me of the intervals and I love it.  $20 on amazon.com.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points