Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1705 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 9:22 AM by IronMakeover
IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
Jul 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2012 7:46 AM

Workout Partner or Lonely Rider -- what works for you?

The other night I ran with a friend of mine who is super fast. It was fun to have her company and to have someone push me to run faster!

What's your +/- partner workout experiences?

I read in Bicycling Magazine jan/feb 2012: "Michigan State University researchers found that exercisers could hold a plank position 24 percent longer when paired with a stronger workout partner than they could on their own. Researchers speculate that performance is partly ruled by your belief system and your brain paces you based on that."

24% longer -- that's a huge benefit!

Thoughts? What works for you? Are there certain sports/types of workouts you prefer company or prefer to be solo? 

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008

Hey Sara,I prefer to train by myself during the week but on Sundays I'll meet up with a [  slower ]friend for a 30 mile bike then a 5 mile run,he always comments on having to run harder when we train together.I also prefer to lift weights solo too as it takes half the time.It's taken me 30 years to get everything dialed in but it's still a time management project!Take care,

Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009

Lifting, generally solo. Swimming, running and biking with wife is always an added benefit. Better training by myself however.

BT

• Soltari Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. May 2, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to BT.ROB)
    Workout Partner or Lonely Rider -- what works for you?

I've always been a solo trainer and every workout is as hard as I can go. When I was racing bicycles (Cat 1 - 60+ wins), I sometimes rode with a group, but there was usually a crash. In running, I think a group only works if the abilities are very similar (or you are being social and only the slowest person is seriously training). Today, about once a week I bike with my step-daughter. We either do intervals or she rides steady and I do intervals. I find that to be the best way for cyclists of unequal abilities to train together. A fun workout is to give the slower person a lead, say 30-60 seconds, and then chase. The interval ends when you catch them. I like to pick a head-start time that results in about 3 minute intervals; and then we soft-pedal for a couple minutes. 3 minutes hard followed by 2 minutes easy is my favorite interval workout. 2 hours of that will leave your thighs feeling very thick (and wobbly). I listen to books when riding and running (a car that is going to hit you, and one that will miss you by the normal 4 feet sound exactly the same - so I don't see a safety issue); but I haven't found an earphone setup that works for swimming with books.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points